The Student Room Group

Hobbies for Medicine

so i don’t really have a hobby, such as music or the arts or sports! i’ve seen on selection procedures where universities quite like those things, but tbh i’m not so interested in then except from doing HIIT or a few workouts at home!
i’m organising a biology club in school, can that potentially compensate for it?
will the fact that i don’t really have a hobby affect the chances of getting an offer 😰 i’ve tried looking online for an answer but not much has helped
Reply 1
Original post by pipthesqueak
so i don’t really have a hobby, such as music or the arts or sports! i’ve seen on selection procedures where universities quite like those things, but tbh i’m not so interested in then except from doing HIIT or a few workouts at home!
i’m organising a biology club in school, can that potentially compensate for it?
will the fact that i don’t really have a hobby affect the chances of getting an offer 😰 i’ve tried looking online for an answer but not much has helped

You need to be able to show you have a balanced approach to life, so know how to take time out and look after your mental and physical wellbeing as well as having ways of dealing with stress. Exercise is great, time with friends (when perhaps spun to include an interest in films - I am sure you go to the cinema - or music - clubbing?), baking, walking, reading, even gaming or supporting others on an internet forum can be used to show how you self manage your wellbeing. Really think about what you do in your spare time and have examples of things you may use, eg favourite (non medical) book, film genres, activities you do with your friends and how you support one another as showing that you are able to switch off, especially in what could become an all-encompassing subject like medicine, is very important, but it does not have to be grand-master level chess, Tai Chi, international sport or medal winning literary skills!
I go to the gym alot.
Play tennis a bit now, as a teenager I was a county standard player.
Original post by pipthesqueak

Where are you thinking of applying and for what? I can honestly say, I have zero hobbies. I listen to music in my room, watch Netflix and occasionally use some weights. So, as you see, nothing I could write on an application! But, I do study when I need to and have always achieved good grades. Having just gone through the UCAS process, I can honestly say my personal statement had no information on hobbies at all. I mentioned work experience I had done, a few extra curricula books I had read and expanded on those things. There isn't much space to write anyway so you want to cram it with things relevant to your course in the main in order to show you are enthusiastic. I promise you'll be more than fine if you do that.
Original post by Lawnut
Where are you thinking of applying and for what? I can honestly say, I have zero hobbies. I listen to music in my room, watch Netflix and occasionally use some weights. So, as you see, nothing I could write on an application! But, I do study when I need to and have always achieved good grades. Having just gone through the UCAS process, I can honestly say my personal statement had no information on hobbies at all. I mentioned work experience I had done, a few extra curricula books I had read and expanded on those things. There isn't much space to write anyway so you want to cram it with things relevant to your course in the main in order to show you are enthusiastic. I promise you'll be more than fine if you do that.

i’m applying to London unis! UCL, Imperial, St. George’s and KCL are the unis im thinking of applying! i’ll probably write a sentence or two on reading, listening to music or watching movies ((:
Original post by GANFYD
You need to be able to show you have a balanced approach to life, so know how to take time out and look after your mental and physical wellbeing as well as having ways of dealing with stress. Exercise is great, time with friends (when perhaps spun to include an interest in films - I am sure you go to the cinema - or music - clubbing?), baking, walking, reading, even gaming or supporting others on an internet forum can be used to show how you self manage your wellbeing. Really think about what you do in your spare time and have examples of things you may use, eg favourite (non medical) book, film genres, activities you do with your friends and how you support one another as showing that you are able to switch off, especially in what could become an all-encompassing subject like medicine, is very important, but it does not have to be grand-master level chess, Tai Chi, international sport or medal winning literary skills!

thank you for your replies!!
If you’re passionate, you’ll be great. How about fixing up some work in a charity shop? Even one hour a week allows you to show your caring side and desire to help others. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending