The Student Room Group

Breast lump

Hello,

I’ve had a breast lump for quite a while now and didn’t think much of it but the more I look into it online, the more concerned I am. I have a doctor’s appointment booked for when I travel back home from uni soon.

I just wanted to post here in hopes of just getting some reassurance or some advice from people who have had experiences similar to mine.

It’s quite a large round lump, slightly moveable, doesn’t hurt but does get sore it pressed too much, gets slightly bigger and more sore around my period, has a bit of redness on the skin. My symptoms sound a lot like a fibroadenoma or a cyst... except for the redness which is honestly what’s troubling me the most.

I just can’t stop thinking about it. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,

I’ve had a breast lump for quite a while now and didn’t think much of it but the more I look into it online, the more concerned I am. I have a doctor’s appointment booked for when I travel back home from uni soon.

I just wanted to post here in hopes of just getting some reassurance or some advice from people who have had experiences similar to mine.

It’s quite a large round lump, slightly moveable, doesn’t hurt but does get sore it pressed too much, gets slightly bigger and more sore around my period, has a bit of redness on the skin. My symptoms sound a lot like a fibroadenoma or a cyst... except for the redness which is honestly what’s troubling me the most.

Thanks.

Not a girl, couldn't answer but I do feel concerned for you so will bump this post in the hopes you are reassured it's nothing.
Reply 2
Original post by Somebodybrown
Not a girl, couldn't answer but I do feel concerned for you so will bump this post in the hopes you are reassured it's nothing.

Thank you <3
You have definitely done the right thing.
It doesn't pay to take chances.
I wish you all the very best. X
Reply 4
Original post by Karisa96
You have definitely done the right thing.
It doesn't pay to take chances.
I wish you all the very best. X

You’re right, thank you :smile:
I'm afraid the only person who can tell you what it is a doctor. You are doing the right thing by getting it checked.
Hello,

Thanks.

wow, i'm literally experiencing the same thing!!? i know this is a year later but could you let me know what the doctor said? i hope it wasn't anything serious!! i'm actually quite worried about mine
Reply 7
wow, i'm literally experiencing the same thing!!? i know this is a year later but could you let me know what the doctor said? i hope it wasn't anything serious!! i'm actually quite worried about mine

Hey! I'm sorry I'm late. You've probably gotten it checked by now.

Mine was honestly a very rare case and you'll probably have a much smoother experience. I went to my doctor, he referred me to a women's health clinic for an ultrasound that same day. They found a couple tiny fibroadenomas in one breast and one huge one in the other - I'm talking 7 cm. My family friend who's a doctor heard about it later and thought I meant MILLImetres. No, no, CENTImetres. That's how rare my case was. The same session that I had my ultrasound, they did a biopsy to make sure it was benign and nothing to really worry about. It was fine but they still referred me to have a simple surgery to remove the huge lump. It was a breeze tbh. Quick procedure (45 min surgery), I was out of hospital in a couple hours, quick recovery, no pain, just some discomfort for a couple days.

A year later, I went for a check up and turns out the other tiny lumps are growing very slowly so I have to go back in a few months to see what the next steps are. Maybe another surgery... ah well, it's fine. I'm just happy it's benign and there's nothing serious.

That's my experience but keep in mind, it was a very, very special case. This is most likely not what you'll have and it is very rare that women with fibroadenomas have surgery. Just get it checked as soon as possible. Don't wait for it to keep growing, don't hesitate, just go. Don't be dumb like me and debate about it for several months. And don't worry at all. It's probably just a regular fibroadenoma that many women get!

Quick Reply