The Student Room Group

university of southampton or liverpool?

which university would you say is more highly regarded or would you say they’re very on par?
Original post by emlifeee
which university would you say is more highly regarded or would you say they’re very on par?

The one you're most likely to thrive at and get a first and take advantage of all the opportunities available to you outside your studies.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
The one you're most likely to thrive at and get a first and take advantage of all the opportunities available to you outside your studies.

i absolutely agree it’s just that i like both universities equally (i visited both) and the course equally that i kind of thought i should make the decision for my firm and insurance on which is more highly regarded?

imo Southampton is more known in STEM, but they are fairly similarly perceived generally.

I would make a list of parameters of what you want from a university and grade each uni against that.
i absolutely agree it’s just that i like both universities equally (i visited both) and the course equally that i kind of thought i should make the decision for my firm and insurance on which is more highly regarded?

What would you list as the pros and cons for each?
Whose "regard" are you interested in (I'm guessing not a bunch of 17 and 18 yr olds on TSR)?
Have you looked at your courses stats on discoveruni?
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
Whose "regard" are you interested in (I'm guessing not a bunch of 17 and 18 yr olds on TSR)?

i’ve looked at ranking and all that but i’m not sure how reliable league tables are. also, i wanted to see what people generally thought about the two compared and if anyone had personal experiences to share
Reply 6
Original post by PQ

southampton is much closer to where my dad lives and is closer to london so the location is convenient but liverpool is a bigger city which i like bc i grew up in tokyo and i feel comfortable in cities. there are a lot of pros and cons for me for both
i’ve looked at ranking and all that but i’m not sure how reliable league tables are. also, i wanted to see what people generally thought about the two compared and if anyone had personal experiences to share

Yes I would advise anyone to ignore league tables that said, YOU need to decide what is important to YOU.

-Location, SU, Facilities, nightlife, Course, career prospects, research, TEF, local costs, unique opportunities one uni has...
These are example factors worth considering, you need to decide which is most important and which uni stacks up better against these. Maybe look at the course specs and see if their is anything you prefer.

If it really is a coin toss, maybe go visit each uni again.
southampton is much closer to where my dad lives and is closer to london so the location is convenient but liverpool is a bigger city which i like bc i grew up in tokyo and i feel comfortable in cities. there are a lot of pros and cons for me for both

There's not that much difference in train times between liverpool and southampton into london (1:20 for the fast train from Soton v 2:10 for the fast train from Liverpool - and Euston is better connected imo than Waterloo once you get into London and public transport in liverpool is much better than in southampton).

Have you looked at discoveruni? It isn't a ranking it is individual course data that lets you see student satisfaction across a range of questions, the proportion of people continuing into second year and the sorts of jobs people go on to do

Are you interested in a specific career?
Reply 9
Original post by mnot
Yes I would advise anyone to ignore league tables that said, YOU need to decide what is important to YOU.

-Location, SU, Facilities, nightlife, Course, career prospects, research, TEF, local costs, unique opportunities one uni has...
These are example factors worth considering, you need to decide which is most important and which uni stacks up better against these. Maybe look at the course specs and see if their is anything you prefer.

If it really is a coin toss, maybe go visit each uni again.

thank you so much for your input. i’ll take everything into consideration :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
Have you looked at discoveruni? It isn't a ranking it is individual course data that lets you see student satisfaction across a range of questions, the proportion of people continuing into second year and the sorts of jobs people go on to do

Are you interested in a specific career?

for liverpool i’m looking at media and communications and for southampton i’m looking at fashion marketing and management
for liverpool i’m looking at media and communications and for southampton i’m looking at fashion marketing and management

Ah
So you're comparing Liverpool John Moores and Solent universities? Not UoLiverpool and UoSouthampton?
Reply 12
Original post by PQ
Ah
So you're comparing Liverpool John Moores and Solent universities? Not UoLiverpool and UoSouthampton?

nah university of liverpool and university of southampton. university of liverpool has media and communications and university of southampton has fashion it’s just another campus in winchester but if i do go there id live in southampton first year
nah university of liverpool and university of southampton. university of liverpool has media and communications and university of southampton has fashion it’s just another campus in winchester but if i do go there id live in southampton first year

TBH given this I would say pick the course you prefer these are so different pick your preference your gonna be stuck with the modules but can adapt to the city and uni, in 5-10 years would you rather work in the fashion industry or media or telecom...
What is more interesting to you.
I have the same dilemma and from research conducted I would say I have seen more positive things about Southampton rather than Liverpool in terms of league tables, research etc
Reply 15
Original post by TessieIDS
I have the same dilemma and from research conducted I would say I have seen more positive things about Southampton rather than Liverpool in terms of league tables, research etc

i’m glad we’re having the same dilemma rn
Reply 16

I have a friend that graduated with a PhD in Media and Comms at Liverpool and hated the department. I'd not recommend that dept based solely on their experiences with them
Reply 17
Original post by gjd800
I have a friend that graduated with a PhD in Media and Comms at Liverpool and hated the department. I'd not recommend that dept based solely on their experiences with them

Thank you so much for your input!

Quick Reply

Latest