The Student Room Group

Google docs > English (UK) accepting 'Realize' HELP

I am so frustrated, I could cry buckets of tears. Why is my google doc (Set on UK English) accepting American spelling for some words, like 'realise'?

Someone please help, I want my auto-correct sorted out. I will love you forever if you help me. x
(edited 4 years ago)
I hope the people I am tagging forgive me for my insolence, it's just that they seem the most knowledgeable on the site. :smile:

@DiddyDecAlt @londonmyst
Click File > Language > English (United Kingdom)

Otherwise go here;

https://myaccount.google.com/language

And change to English (United Kingdom).
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
Click File > Language > English (United Kingdom)

Otherwise go here;

https://myaccount.google.com/language

And change to English (United Kingdom).

I did that earlier! It still accepts both 'realise' and 'realize'. :frown:

Thanks by the way, knew I could rely on your kindness. :smile:
Original post by NotInTheMood!
knowledgeable
@DiddyDecAlt

what

@DiddyDecAlt what
Original post by Glaz
what

@DiddyDecAlt what

:confused:
I really don't know.
Original post by Glaz
what

@DiddyDecAlt what

Flattery gets people to respond quicker.

jk jk

@DiddyDecAlt it still won't pick up 'realise' as the wrong spelling, do you reckon the issue is chrome and not google docs? Thanks xx
Flattery gets people to respond quicker.

jk jk

@DiddyDecAlt it still won't pick up 'realise' as the wrong spelling, do you reckon the issue is chrome and not google docs? Thanks xx

Try a different browser to find out.
Try a different browser to find out.

It's the same on FireFox.

Does anyone else have this issue or do you all always get the American Spelling underlined in red in google docs?
It's the same on FireFox.

Does anyone else have this issue or do you all always get the American Spelling underlined in red in google docs?

Mine does the same, I have just never noticed.
Mine does the same, I have just never noticed.

Does the same as in doesn't underline the American spelling?

Are there any free 'software' (dunno if that is the right term) where one can write and have spell check do most of the work? Thanks again! I don't have Microsoft because pretty sure it isn't free.

Are there any free 'software' (dunno if that is the right term) where one can write and have spell check do most of the work? Thanks again! I don't have Microsoft because pretty sure it isn't free.

Yep.

Not that I'm aware of.

grammarly does a free service and a more in depth paid version (think you can get a free trial too)
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
grammarly does a free service and a more in depth paid version (think you can get a free trial too)

I don't know why but I hate (like really really hate) grammarly, might be because of their non-stop advertisement.

I will stick with google docs for now as it is more convenient and has all my things in one place, will just learn myself to distinguish between American and English spelling. :frown: I just don't understand why the doc won't detect American Spelling as incorrect under 'English (UK)' as the language setting....
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet

oh and thank you for the suggestion!! xx :smile:
The verb 'realize' is in fact the correct British spelling and is not exclusively an American spelling. The Oxford English Dictionary always recommends using the -ize forms instead of the -ise forms (but you should always use -yse not -yze). The spelling 'realise' is an alternative spelling of 'realize' which came about in the 18th century due to French influence. This is why the British spellchecker will allow both 'realize' and 'realise' as both are acceptable in British spelling however Americanisms like 'color', 'center' and 'traveled' will not be accepted by the spellchecker. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_spelling

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending