The Student Room Group

SME Georgia Medicine

I've known about SME and I know about some others and I'm considering joining the March intake for Georgia or Armenia but I think Georgia might be the one I'll end up picking. I know SME is certified and there are many success stories but I'm worried about the standard of teaching and if it really is good at Causasus university or New Vision university. Has anyone joined? Or graduated? And did you have enough credits to come to the UK? As far as I'm aware you DO gain enough credits but someone from my college apparently went through an agency and found out after getting to Georgia that they don't get enough credits after but I'm not sure which agency they went through and I haven't been able to contact them yet. If you've been/graduated, please let me know and if it's okay I'd like to ask some questions. Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Hi Kiranms.I’m in exactly the same boat as you. I want to apply for the March intake with SME to attend New Vision University. I’m an Irish student.I did some research and saw that the Medical Doctor course for New Vision is 360 ECTS credits. In my opinion, that should be enough since I checked several universities in Ireland and their medicine programs seem like they’re less than this. I spoke to one of the recruiters from SME and they told me I could do my two clinical years in the UK if I attended New Vision. I thought great! A bit closer to home and all that, but I have no way to verify if they’re telling the truth on that one as there’s very little information on New Visions website.I’m also a bit confused about the overall structure of the degree. I don’t see anything on the timetable indicating clinical years as being distinct or that you are awarded credits for clinical rotations. This is kind of my main worry about it as I really don’t want to enrol and be stuck there for the full five years with a lot of classes and clinical rotation at the same time. Like you, I’d love if someone from either the UK or Ireland could clarify about the ECTS structure of the degree and if we’d receive any credits from clinical rotation at all.
Reply 2
Hi I to will be going to new Vision in March and as far as I am aware they have agreed that you can do the clinical years in the UK. On the application form they suggest you select UK campuses. They have also agreed with BARTs medical school for the rotations and are currently in talks with other schools.
Original post by Calico_Cat
Hi Kiranms.I’m in exactly the same boat as you. I want to apply for the March intake with SME to attend New Vision University. I’m an Irish student.I did some research and saw that the Medical Doctor course for New Vision is 360 ECTS credits. In my opinion, that should be enough since I checked several universities in Ireland and their medicine programs seem like they’re less than this. I spoke to one of the recruiters from SME and they told me I could do my two clinical years in the UK if I attended New Vision. I thought great! A bit closer to home and all that, but I have no way to verify if they’re telling the truth on that one as there’s very little information on New Visions website.I’m also a bit confused about the overall structure of the degree. I don’t see anything on the timetable indicating clinical years as being distinct or that you are awarded credits for clinical rotations. This is kind of my main worry about it as I really don’t want to enrol and be stuck there for the full five years with a lot of classes and clinical rotation at the same time. Like you, I’d love if someone from either the UK or Ireland could clarify about the ECTS structure of the degree and if we’d receive any credits from clinical rotation at all.

You guys should be careful and not take everything you hear as complete truth.

Everybody can apply to do an elective in British hospitals but they're not cheap. The elective fee in BART is made up of a £300 administration fee PLUS a £550 standard placement fee for 2-4 weeks. Normal medical students do around 24 Rotations per year. This can amount to at least £200 per ECTS credit in fees. You need 360 ECTS credits on a medical degree. Work out the crazy number that comes up to. No theoretical teaching takes place in the UK, only shadowing during the elective. It's dubious that you make claims such as two whole years of "studying medicine" in the UK when there are also theoretical classes that must be completed. Sounds fishy to me there's something we're not being told...
Reply 4
It would be nice to hear from someone who is currently studying at New vision university in Georgia!I'm contemplating applying for the March intake, unfortunately time isn't on my side...
Original post by Adi141
It would be nice to hear from someone who is currently studying at New vision university in Georgia!I'm contemplating applying for the March intake, unfortunately time isn't on my side...

well deadline is early february.
R u undergrad?
Hi everyone.
I'm applying to Georgia for med and it will be nice to meet you all in march if i get the offer.

I'm currently applying to Georgia for the march intake because today I was rejected by St Georges University and feel very uneasy now.
I have had other medical interviews from elsewhere (leicester and anglia ruskin), however I dont want to take risks with my med.
I am a gap year student and got AAA in biology, chemistry and mathematics A level.

Is there anyone else in same situation and is doing a gap year but hasn't got an offer from a UK university?
Reply 7
Original post by Banshee123
well deadline is early february.
R u undergrad?

I applied today for the 5 year undergraduate program which starts early March

Although I have a degree in Business management however as there are no transferable credits that is why I was given the opportunity to do the 5 year program

Hope that helps!
Original post by Adi141
I applied today for the 5 year undergraduate program which starts early March

Although I have a degree in Business management however as there are no transferable credits that is why I was given the opportunity to do the 5 year program

Hope that helps!

Thats great
I will probably see you then lol.
Im current gap year student and got AAA in biology chemistry and mathematics a levels. I decided to apply here after getting rejected post-interview from one of the UK medical schools. Im still waiting on two but dont wanna take any risks ygm.
Reply 9
Original post by Banshee123
Thats great
I will probably see you then lol.
Im current gap year student and got AAA in biology chemistry and mathematics a levels. I decided to apply here after getting rejected post-interview from one of the UK medical schools. Im still waiting on two but dont wanna take any risks ygm.

I can't comment on your personal situation as I have no experience!

However will say that my current dealing with SME has been smooth, although dearer when compared to other agencies....

I have spoken to students that are currently there and they can't praise the university enough

I don't think I would get another chance of studying medicine, so for me it was now or never

All the best, i'm sure you'll make the correct decision for yourself
Guys yes u have the option to do one or two semester in a uk hospital. But it will be costly like £200 per etc. So cheaper to do ur clinical in Georgia unless u can afford approx 7k plus living expenses ontop in uk just for that semester in uk. It's a new course there are students from uk already there who went last yr but no one has competed the course as yet and graduated, maybe by oct we will know. This is the only thing stopping me.
Anyone know if new vision is recognised by GMC and eu countries. Anyone graduated from there yet????
anyone here from Netherland and planning to go for Tbilisi ?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Anyone know if new vision is recognised by GMC and eu countries. Anyone graduated from there yet????

The student from New Vision is about to complete their medicine this year and If you are going to apply there through SME then not to worry as I have checked on their website that they will help the student to register with GMC and they also have a team who will guide through the entire registration process and provide the students with in-depth instructions on how to register with the GMC.
They will arrange the collection, legalization, and translation of all the necessary documents from the university and also help to prepare for any tests or assessments that will need to take as part of your application.
Hi, my name is Rohit, I belong from India I have completed my medicine in India itself now I am looking to do my P.G from EU Just thinking if anyone can suggest me a better university there.
Reply 15
Hi
Original post by Yochahine
You guys should be careful and not take everything you hear as complete truth.

Everybody can apply to do an elective in British hospitals but they're not cheap. The elective fee in BART is made up of a £300 administration fee PLUS a £550 standard placement fee for 2-4 weeks. Normal medical students do around 24 Rotations per year. This can amount to at least £200 per ECTS credit in fees. You need 360 ECTS credits on a medical degree. Work out the crazy number that comes up to. No theoretical teaching takes place in the UK, only shadowing during the elective. It's dubious that you make claims such as two whole years of "studying medicine" in the UK when there are also theoretical classes that must be completed. Sounds fishy to me there's something we're not being told...

Do you think SFE offers any student loans for placements? I doubt it as you're coming from a university thats not of UK/EU origin :/
Original post by Anonymous

Just to let clear your doubts want to tell you that dont worry about the GMC approval for NVU, because for an international medical school degree to be recognized by the GMC it has to meet with 4 criteria and obviously its perfectly meet with all of them.
- At-least 3 years of education in med school (undergrad is 6 years)
- In the world directory of medical schools (it is)
- Has at-least 5500 hours of clinical/study (it has)
- Is not specifically blacklisted by the GMC (it isn't)
Original post by Calico_Cat

hey
I am currently a student at NVU and this 2 years in uk you talk about is very expensive and frankly not feasible for most students. It comes to about £20k per year when i checked
Original post by Adi141

hi

Im currently studying there please do message me if you have any qs

Latest