The Student Room Group

GCSE mocks done badly and help for Revision

4c business ,3c computing,6b DT,6c eng lang,4a eng lit,7c maths,4c german, 4a bio, 4c chem ,6a physics. These are my mock results, I need to achieve an average of 6 or 5.6, is that possible? I didn’t exactly revise properly for any of the subjects and I’m extremely lazy. What is the most efficient revision plan so I can achieve at least sevens. Please help I only have a few months left and I feel very anxious.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alpha22888
4c business ,3c computing,6b DT,6c eng lang,4a eng lit,7c maths,4c german, 4a bio, 4c chem ,6a physics. These are my mock results, I need to achieve an average of 6 or 5.6, is that possible? I didn’t exactly revise properly for any of the subjects and I’m extremely lazy. What is the most efficient revision plan so I can achieve at least sevens. Please help I only have a few months left and I feel very anxious.

Of course it's possible, it just takes time and endurance to be able to get those grades. The first thing I would recommend creating is a revision timetable, it will hopefully help you to remain productive whilst studying and doing exam papers. You can make these on a website called GetRevising, the resources are quite good too :biggrin:.

Have you received your papers yet? if so, ask your teachers for some extra support after school. Ask them to go through the paper with you and work out how to get those grades to a high standard. Even getting the mark scheme will help!

Try not to panic about your exams, you have plenty of time till they begin :smile:.
Honestly compared to A-Levels, GCSE's are really easy. I didn't like hearing that back then but it should give you reassurance, you can do it!

I got a 5/6 in my GCSE Science Mocks and I came out with a 9. It was just literally making notes back to front of the revision guides like CGP, doing some Past Paper questions that you can find online or from your teachers. Also we did the new spec, so we had no past papers but you can access last year's for your mock, the year before (ours) and specimen and sample paper so there is a lot to start from

I think it's good you have identified you are lazy but honestly the only person that will make you get there is your self. Not everyone works with a Timetable, some do better with To Do Lists. Hence you have to actively try these methods.

When you get back from school tomorrow, why not do an hours revision of X subject and then a hours revision of another subject Y involving Past Papers?

You can change but change starts from within
Can I just ask what relevance the a's, b's and c's have on the grades you put up? I'm not quite sure I'm familiar with this exact system, just sounds like KS2 grades to me.
Original post by Possibly this
Can I just ask what relevance the a's, b's and c's have on the grades you put up? I'm not quite sure I'm familiar with this exact system, just sounds like KS2 grades to me.

I didn't even notice this, and yes I'm curious to know too now?
Reply 5
Can I just ask what relevance the a's, b's and c's have on the grades you put up? I'm not quite sure I'm familiar with this exact system, just sounds like KS2 grades to

Original post by Hazelly
Of course it's possible, it just takes time and endurance to be able to get those grades. The first thing I would recommend creating is a revision timetable, it will hopefully help you to remain productive whilst studying and doing exam papers. You can make these on a website called GetRevising, the resources are quite good too :biggrin:.

Have you received your papers yet? if so, ask your teachers for some extra support after school. Ask them to go through the paper with you and work out how to get those grades to a high standard. Even getting the mark scheme will help!

Try not to panic about your exams, you have plenty of time till they begin :smile:.

Thanks for the advice, I’ll try your tips and I feel much better after a bit of support.
Reply 6
Original post by reinaadira
Honestly compared to A-Levels, GCSE's are really easy. I didn't like hearing that back then but it should give you reassurance, you can do it!

I got a 5/6 in my GCSE Science Mocks and I came out with a 9. It was just literally making notes back to front of the revision guides like CGP, doing some Past Paper questions that you can find online or from your teachers. Also we did the new spec, so we had no past papers but you can access last year's for your mock, the year before (ours) and specimen and sample paper so there is a lot to start from

I think it's good you have identified you are lazy but honestly the only person that will make you get there is your self. Not everyone works with a Timetable, some do better with To Do Lists. Hence you have to actively try these methods.

When you get back from school tomorrow, why not do an hours revision of X subject and then a hours revision of another subject Y involving Past Papers?

Thank you for taking your time to reply, I appreciate your supports and will try to do active revision.
Reply 7

Basically, c is if you just got into the level by a few marks, b is when you are well into the grade and a is when you are a mark or few off the next level. For physics I was 2marks of a 7c
Reply 8
Original post by Hazelly
I didn't even notice this, and yes I'm curious to know too now?

Basically, c is if you just got into the level by a few marks, b is when you are well into the grade and a is when you are a mark or few off the next level. For eg. physics I was 2marks of a 7c
Basically, c is if you just got into the level by a few marks, b is when you are well into the grade and a is when you are a mark or few off the next level. For physics I was 2marks of a 7c

What an odd way to be presented with your grades.
Reply 10

If I want to do physics a level, do you advice me to take triple science with the grades I’m achieving right now or should I take combined. I’m not very sure but all my classmates are taking triple and I don’t want to be the only one taking combined but I’m willing to if I am in danger of not main git back to sixth form
Original post by Hazelly
What an odd way to be presented with your grades.

Yeah that's how they did for me in year 7-8 lol (think that's how the old spec used to do it)
if ya have like 50 quid to spare - for sciences buy the cgp exam practise book, the answer books and grade 8-9 book, at the end of the u can get like 75% by knowing the content- but it all really comes down to exam techniques and writing ur higher markers in a way that will unlock the most marks
Reply 13
Original post by imscrewedlol
if ya have like 50 quid to spare - for sciences buy the cgp exam practise book, the answer books and grade 8-9 book, at the end of the u can get like 75% by knowing the content- but it all really comes down to exam techniques and writing ur higher markers in a way that will unlock the most marks

Thanks for replying, I bought I subscription on a website called mygcsescience, is it a good source of revision or should I just buy the cgp books.
If I want to do physics a level, do you advice me to take triple science with the grades I’m achieving right now or should I take combined. I’m not very sure but all my classmates are taking triple and I don’t want to be the only one taking combined but I’m willing to if I am in danger of not main git back to sixth form

I don't want to be rude but if you are working at a 6 in Physics, in my opinion you will struggle at A-Level. I achieved 9's in the Sciences, Triple, and take them currently and it still requires A LOT of work, an A is not as easy to achieve. But depends what grade you want

Combined is a lot easier than Triple. If you were getting 8's and 9's now I would say do Triple but at the moment Combined. Triple is not a requirement for A Level Science at most schools
Reply 15
I don't want to be rude but if you are working at a 6 in Physics, in my opinion you will struggle at A-Level. I achieved 9's in the Sciences, Triple, and take them currently and it still requires A LOT of work, an A is not as easy to achieve. But depends what grade you want

Combined is a lot easier than Triple. If you were getting 8's and 9's now I would say do Triple but at the moment Combined. Triple is not a requirement for A Level Science at most schools

Do you think it would be possible to manage a B for physics at a level and if I do decide to take combined should i even bother taking a science for a level
Do you think it would be possible to manage a B for physics at a level and if I do decide to take combined should i even bother taking a science for a level

I know more people that got A* in their Science subjects at GCSE, and are currently hitting B'c and C's at A-Level compared to A's and above. I go to a Selective School, although maybe it is just my class.

Take it if you want to do it, Triple Science won't make the difference between your grade. But if you have the attitude of even bothering to take it, maybe not as it is more important to take subjects you actually are passionate about
Well, if you’re extremely lazy then it’s time to get productive! There’s no way you an get those grades up to 7s if you don’t put in the work. That doesn’t mean it’s impossible if you put in the effort, though!
What I would suggest is, when you get your past papers back, go through every single one and highlight all the questions you got wrong and what topic/unit they are. I would then focus on those topics in particular that you struggle more with.
Past papers are honestly a life-saver, and if you ask your teachers nicely they can mark them for you after you do them.
Flashcards are also really useful for active recall.
As some people have said before, you can use a revision timetable to stay on track! Good luck :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by s_misery
Well, if you’re extremely lazy then it’s time to get productive! There’s no way you an get those grades up to 7s if you don’t put in the work. That doesn’t mean it’s impossible if you put in the effort, though!
What I would suggest is, when you get your past papers back, go through every single one and highlight all the questions you got wrong and what topic/unit they are. I would then focus on those topics in particular that you struggle more with.
Past papers are honestly a life-saver, and if you ask your teachers nicely they can mark them for you after you do them.
Flashcards are also really useful for active recall.
As some people have said before, you can use a revision timetable to stay on track! Good luck :smile:

Thanks for the support, I’ll try my best
Thanks for replying, I bought I subscription on a website called mygcsescience, is it a good source of revision or should I just buy the cgp books.

Mygcsescience is amazing, I have it too. From my experience, just watch a video and do the quiz. Then go to the previous topic and re-do quiz, if you dont get full marks-watch the video again. test yourself again the next day, repeat. (do 3 new topics each day if u can)

Quick Reply

Latest