The Student Room Group

Transferring into Year 2 Biomedical Science at King's College London

Hi guys,
I have completed my first year at the University of Roehampton studying Biomedical Science BSc. I have received my grades for Year 1 and I have achieved at very high 2:1 (69.3%). I wanted to transfer into Year 2 of Biomedical Science BSc at King's College London and have applied through UCAS, but today I have learned that my application was unsuccessful. They said the reason is 'the academic qualifications you have achieved do not meet the entry requirements for this programme'. I presume this is due to my A-level grades not being sufficient, however, the modules I have studied in my first year are more than compatible with King's Year 2 Biomedical Science modules and I have done very well in my first year. Is it possible to still transfer to King's Year 2 Biomedical Science BSc programme? T
hank you, Natalie.
If they’ve rejected you then no. Would you consider starting again from year 1? If so ring them up and ask them if they can reconsider you for first year.
Most top Unis will not allow transfers into their courses by folk with weak A levels and what they will consider as a first year at a weak Uni (Roehampton is not exactly known for science, therefore their first year is not 'equal to KCL' is it).
Reply 3
Original post by returnmigrant
Most top Unis will not allow transfers into their courses by folk with weak A levels and what they will consider as a first year at a weak Uni (Roehampton is not exactly known for science, therefore their first year is not 'equal to KCL' is it).

Roehampton is ranked 5th in London for Biomedical Sciences (The Guardian 2020 uni guide)
Original post by Adnan21
Roehampton is ranked 5th in London for Biomedical Sciences (The Guardian 2020 uni guide)

The Guardian league tables are based primarily on student satisfaction surveys, not academic rigour. That doesn't mean anything in this context.
Reply 5
Original post by Jgradschool
The Guardian league tables are based primarily on student satisfaction surveys, not academic rigour. That doesn't mean anything in this context.

What are you building your information on then? Any references I can take a look at?
Reply 6
[QUOTE="returnmigrant;84223448"]Most top Unis will not allow transfers into their courses by folk with weak A levels and what they will consider as a first year at a weak Uni (Roehampton is not exactly known for science, therefore their first year is not 'equal to KCL' is it).[/QUOT
Original post by returnmigrant

As long as the modules are similar enough and it’s any London University it will still be considered even by Kings. However, if you have for example got an unconditional offer to study biomedical sciences at Roe which lead to you having grades at A levels that aren’t that great then yes it would effect your application to kings.
Original post by Adnan21
What are you building your information on then? Any references I can take a look at?

I'm not building a case; I'm dismantling yours. In any case, the Roehampton course does not cover the same topics in the first year as the one offered by KCL. It seems that KCL's teaches more material in the first year.
Reply 8
Original post by Jgradschool
I'm not building a case; I'm dismantling yours. In any case, the Roehampton course does not cover the same topics in the first year as the one offered by KCL. It seems that KCL's teaches more material in the first year.

“A weak uni” this statement must have been built upon research and statistical facts.
Original post by Adnan21
“A weak uni” this statement must have been built upon research and statistical facts.

That's a different poster, genius.
Disputing whether KCL might consider Roehampton as being weaker than themselves won't change the outcome of their decision, it's irrelevant.

The point being made is that KCL can use any criteria they wish to assess transfer requests, or simply not consider them at all.
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/transferring-to-kings
As general guidance, applications for transfer into the second year will only be considered if you meet all of the requirements below:

> You have met the standard first year entry requirements for the course (such as A-levels or equivalent)

> You have studied the same or very similar modules to those on the first year of the course here at King’s in your first year. Please take some time to look at the course on our online prospectus, and see the ‘structure’ section for an idea of content. The content of your current degree needs to be very similar, so please satisfy yourself of your suitability before making a formal request to transfer.

> You have achieved or are achieving a 2:1/high 2:1 standard in your first year of your studies.

It's right there on their website. OP didn't meet this requirement and was rejected, KCL didn't even progress to stage 2 of the three selection criteria (comparing content). KCL might consider first year at Roehampton as a substitute to lower A level results for entry into Yr 1 of the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending