The Student Room Group

Can I really be allergic to alcohol?

As most of us are students it’s normal for us all to feel familiar with feeling rough/hungover or being sick. But I feel my problem is severe. I can’t tell if what I do is binge drinking or if alcohol truly doesn’t belong in my body. Every single time I drink alcohol whether that be a relaxed few pints at the pub or a full night out with around 15 units of alcohol, I am sick, I throw up everything I have drank and all food from the day (gross I know sorry). When I do have a night out and drink alcohol I always stick to one drink, but the next day all my friends are fine whilst I have my head down the toilet for the next 5 hours, being uncontrollably sick and very ill. I ask myself (knowing that the ultimate answer to the question is to stop drinking alcohol) do I have some allergy where my body rejects it? Or is it my mental state and possible binge drinking tendencies that affect me. Thanks.
Original post by 2001Cooper
As most of us are students it’s normal for us all to feel familiar with feeling rough/hungover or being sick. But I feel my problem is severe. I can’t tell if what I do is binge drinking or if alcohol truly doesn’t belong in my body. Every single time I drink alcohol whether that be a relaxed few pints at the pub or a full night out with around 15 units of alcohol, I am sick, I throw up everything I have drank and all food from the day (gross I know sorry). When I do have a night out and drink alcohol I always stick to one drink, but the next day all my friends are fine whilst I have my head down the toilet for the next 5 hours, being uncontrollably sick and very ill. I ask myself (knowing that the ultimate answer to the question is to stop drinking alcohol) do I have some allergy where my body rejects it? Or is it my mental state and possible binge drinking tendencies that affect me. Thanks.

An allergy to alcohol is more common than you think. I cannot drink red wine. I get very sick with it.
Reply 2
If you can drink a fair quantity of alcohol before getting symptoms, and it's causing vomiting, it's an alcohol intolerance, which affects the digestive system, rather than an allergy, which is an immune reaction and very rare; you'd be talking rashes, wheezing and anaphylactic shock. Intolerance can cause people can have a bad reaction to the histamines or sulfites in drinks likes wine and beer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending