The Student Room Group

I need some honest opinions

I received offer from UCL and University of Aberdeen, Plymouth and am waiting for offers from Southampton and University of Utrecht. The offer from UCL is a conditional one whereas the one from Aberdeen is also conditional but the conditions for Aberdeen have already been fulfilled.Which univrsity should I go for? I am supre confused. please help!
Reply 1
Which uni/course do you prefer, and are you able to meet the conditional offer?
Original post by Marni_
Which uni/course do you prefer, and are you able to meet the conditional offer?

I prefer UCL but their conditional offer states that I need min 8.5/10. Right now with my two semesters left my aggregate is an 8.65.
Univ of Aberdeen askes for a min 5.5/10 which i have already cleared. but the living cost and tuition fees of aberdeen is lower than UCL. Do university ranks matter UCl is in the top 5unis in UK. However, Ab is in the 150s
Reply 3
Original post by sorcererstone28
I prefer UCL but their conditional offer states that I need min 8.5/10. Right now with my two semesters left my aggregate is an 8.65.
Univ of Aberdeen askes for a min 5.5/10 which i have already cleared. but the living cost and tuition fees of aberdeen is lower than UCL. Do university ranks matter UCl is in the top 5unis in UK. However, Ab is in the 150s

If you think you can reach the offer, and you prefer the uni, the choice seems obvious to me (just a disclaimer: I'm at UCL now so I might be a bit biased). But, you mention costs (which of course is a big factor), and if living in central London would mean you needed a job to fund it, you need to consider how this would affect your degree too.
In terms of ranking, I think it matters less for postgrad (imo), but may make a difference to the opportunities available to you while you're studying there.
Original post by Marni_
If you think you can reach the offer, and you prefer the uni, the choice seems obvious to me (just a disclaimer: I'm at UCL now so I might be a bit biased). But, you mention costs (which of course is a big factor), and if living in central London would mean you needed a job to fund it, you need to consider how this would affect your degree too.
In terms of ranking, I think it matters less for postgrad (imo), but may make a difference to the opportunities available to you while you're studying there.

tht's exactly my train of thought. I have am an international student so I have absolutely no idea about the universities. One of the major disadvatages being that I am not able to attend and open days which makes the process a lot more complex and confusing.
Thank you for your help. What would be the approx cost of living in London for a student?
Reply 5
Original post by sorcererstone28
tht's exactly my train of thought. I have am an international student so I have absolutely no idea about the universities. One of the major disadvatages being that I am not able to attend and open days which makes the process a lot more complex and confusing.
Thank you for your help. What would be the approx cost of living in London for a student?

That really depends on where you live and how you live. If you live in student halls it can be cheaper because they're all close so you dont have many travel costs, bills are included, and sometimes food is included. Local rent is around £800/month (totally depends on how big/ensuite etc). It can be a bit cheaper if you live further out (zones 2/3/4) but then you've got travel costs to get into uni.
Original post by Marni_
That really depends on where you live and how you live. If you live in student halls it can be cheaper because they're all close so you dont have many travel costs, bills are included, and sometimes food is included. Local rent is around £800/month (totally depends on how big/ensuite etc). It can be a bit cheaper if you live further out (zones 2/3/4) but then you've got travel costs to get into uni.

Alright! Thank you so much. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending