The Student Room Group
you can but there's no point in doing this. if you miss your firm offer then you've missed your insurance by a pretty substantial degree. what do you mean "i don't want that uni to disappear as one of my choices"? Note that you also have the option not to select an insurance.
Original post by Abida1
Basically, can I put a uni as my insurance that is higher than my firm by 6 points? and have my firm be lower bc i don't want that uni to disappear as one of my choices

You can but you would be very unlikely in that scenario to end up at your Insurance. However, people should always Firm the uni they most want to go to
Reply 3
Original post by harrysbar
You can but you would be very unlikely in that scenario to end up at your Insurance. However, people should always Firm the uni they most want to go to

My firm is the one I would most willing go to and is the lowest offer so far the insurance I am planning to put is only high by 6 ucas points so it isnt such a big gap to be put in my insurance choice. Because if I put my firm as my insurance there's no point bc I may not have the offer again
Reply 4
Original post by _gcx
you can but there's no point in doing this. if you miss your firm offer then you've missed your insurance by a pretty substantial degree. what do you mean "i don't want that uni to disappear as one of my choices"? Note that you also have the option not to select an insurance.

Yes but i want that uni as my frim and it's the lowest offer if i put as my insurance i may lose the offer to another uni. Its not by a big margin its 6 points but if don't have an insurance that's very risky
As above, put the Uni that is genuinely your first choice as your Firm, regardless of how it's offer compares to others. Just be aware that putting them this way around means much less chance that your Insurance offer would accept you.

It's not much of a problem if you are reasonably confident of meeting your Firm offer, or if your Insurance choice is much less appealing to you.
Original post by Abida1
Yes but i want that uni as my frim and it's the lowest offer if i put as my insurance i may lose the offer to another uni. Its not by a big margin its 6 points but if don't have an insurance that's very risky

This is IB right? Im pretty sure 6 points is a pretty large margin. In any case it's not risky. If you get rejected by your firm you would be almost guaranteed to be rejected by your insurance too - in which case you'd end up in clearing. You'd be in the same situation had you not had an insurance.
I actually assumed the OP meant tariff points, because 6 points in the IB would probably equate to 2-3 grades below in A-Level terms.
Original post by Admit-One
I actually assumed the OP meant tariff points, because 6 points in the IB would probably equate to 2-3 grades below in A-Level terms.

Oh right, I didn't see their reply to harrysbar that said UCAS points! Less of an issue then.
Reply 9
So what would you advise?
Uni A is the one I wnna go to and has the lowest offer
UNI B is insurance but is higher by 6 points
I can't risk putting uni A as insurance as I am not guaranteed that offer
Ik you're gna say look in to another uni but I much prefer uni A ygm
Original post by Abida1
Basically, can I put a uni as my insurance that is higher than my firm by 6 points? and have my firm be lower bc i don't want that uni to disappear as one of my choices

Yes! if the lower tariff uni is the one you want to go to then put it as the firm!

Once you've made your mind up picking an insurance choice uni is more difficult, if you want to do this then be prepared for this:
if you miss both of these unis, would you rather go through clearing or resit then go to one of your other 3 uni choices...

If you realistically think these two unis are the only ones worth attending your better off doing something like this. Watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvvF7-5SIJ8
Original post by Abida1
So what would you advise?
Uni A is the one I wnna go to and has the lowest offer
UNI B is insurance but is higher by 6 points
I can't risk putting uni A as insurance as I am not guaranteed that offer
Ik you're gna say look in to another uni but I much prefer uni A ygm

Simple....Firm Uni A

Don't have an Insurance if you don't want to ... in the unlikely event that you miss your lowest offer (uni A) you will automatically be entered into Clearing and can pick another uni at that point. The uni you Firm is the uni you are statistically most likely to end up at - so Firm uni A
yh