The Student Room Group

Oxbridge gap year

If you are currently studying at Oxford to Cambridge and had taken a gap year before doing so please tell me about your experience and what you did during the year to stay sharp. Much appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

your gap year plans depend on what you're planning on studying. So for subjects like medicine, it might be good to volunteer somewhere.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
your gap year plans depend on what you're planning on studying. So for subjects like medicine, it might be good to volunteer somewhere.

That's the thing, I don't know what I want to study yet so I'm taking the year out to decide as I want to be 100% sure.
Guessing ur in yr 13? You must have some kind if idea. Even if you dont know the specific subject you might have an idea of the kind of thing you want to do?
Reply 4
Guessing ur in yr 13? You must have some kind if idea. Even if you dont know the specific subject you might have an idea of the kind of thing you want to do?

History or law
History or law

I'm not saying you can't justify a gap year but gap years for subjects like that are harder to justify. With science subjects like Medicine, you can take the year out, get experience volunteering in a care home, and add that to your UCAS form.
If you can then get some kind of work experience for things to do with history or law. Otherwise wider reading is useful
Reply 6
History or law

I'm not saying you can't justify a gap year but gap years for subjects like that are harder to justify. With science subjects like Medicine, you can take the year out, get experience volunteering in a care home, and add that to your UCAS form.
If you can then get some kind of work experience for things to do with history or law. Otherwise wider reading is useful

A gap year is not an issue for any course except, sometimes, for Maths. History or Law is absolutely fine.
I took a gap year and now have a place for Chemistry from New College, Oxford! The way I kept myself sharp was by getting a semi-relevant job: I work at a school helping with their science outreach programme. This also made it easier to talk to teachers to get advice about my reapplication. And by doing my own study in my spare time: I got out a first year textbook and worked through parts of it and found other resources - sometimes I even overlapped with content my friend at Birmingham was covering!

Taking a gap year (though it wasn’t by choice) has been really hard though in a number of ways. It’s quite lonely, and sometimes really boring. And a lot of pressure if you take a gap year solely for the purpose of applying to Oxbridge. But reapplying successfully is possible
Reply 8
Original post by SkyRunner61
I took a gap year and now have a place for Chemistry from New College, Oxford! The way I kept myself sharp was by getting a semi-relevant job: I work at a school helping with their science outreach programme. This also made it easier to talk to teachers to get advice about my reapplication. And by doing my own study in my spare time: I got out a first year textbook and worked through parts of it and found other resources - sometimes I even overlapped with content my friend at Birmingham was covering!

Taking a gap year (though it wasn’t by choice) has been really hard though in a number of ways. It’s quite lonely, and sometimes really boring. And a lot of pressure if you take a gap year solely for the purpose of applying to Oxbridge. But reapplying successfully is possible

Thanks for the response. What did you GCSE and A-level profile look like if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks for the response. What did you GCSE and A-level profile look like if you don't mind me asking?

GCSEs: 10 A*s, A* in HPQ (GCSE equivalent of an EPQ) and A in Additional Maths (highest grade possible)
A-Levels: 4 A*s in Chemistry and Maths (required), Further Maths (helpful) and Mandarin

I did decide for myself that I would only reapply on my gap year if I got straight A*s, and it’s worth noting that Chem’s requirements are high for Oxford (A*A*A vs AAA for some subjects) and that (both to my benefit and dismay) Chem isn’t the most competitive subject
GCSEs: 10 A*s, A* in HPQ (GCSE equivalent of an EPQ) and A in Additional Maths (highest grade possible)
A-Levels: 4 A*s in Chemistry and Maths (required), Further Maths (helpful) and Mandarin

I did decide for myself that I would only reapply on my gap year if I got straight A*s, and it’s worth noting that Chem’s requirements are high for Oxford (A*A*A vs AAA for some subjects) and that (both to my benefit and dismay) Chem isn’t the most competitive subject

congratulation on the offer and getting 4A*'s
did you apply with 4A* last year?
I’m currently on a gap year and have an offer for French and Spanish at Christ’s, Cambridge for this year.
I’m spending it working as an au pair in Alsace, France and I think my gap year plans helped a lot with my application. Any questions just ask :smile:
Original post by meminisse19
I’m currently on a gap year and have an offer for French and Spanish at Christ’s, Cambridge for this year.
I’m spending it working as an au pair in Alsace, France and I think my gap year plans helped a lot with my application. Any questions just ask :smile:

would you recommend applying to cambridge over reapplying to oxford if rejected by oxford first ?
Original post by wediditreddit
congratulation on the offer and getting 4A*'s
did you apply with 4A* last year?

I applied with 4A*s predicted last year. 4A*s achieved is stronger than just being predicted them, since most people are overpredicted

Out of curiosity, how come you’ve created this thread?
I applied with 4A*s predicted last year. 4A*s achieved is stronger than just being predicted them, since most people are overpredicted

Out of curiosity, how come you’ve created this thread?

im not op
oxford maths reject. not sure whether cambridge or oxford i should apply to if i get 4 A*s. im fine with both course structure and content tho

yeah, I'm definitely not getting in.
Original post by wediditreddit
im not op
oxford maths reject. not sure whether cambridge or oxford i should apply to if i get 4 A*s. im fine with both course structure and content tho

I guess it depends on which assessment you prefer then - MAT for Oxford and STEP for Cambridge. If you got an offer from Oxford, you would be done and you would be in. STEP is a whole other ballgame, and a lot of people who get offers fail to meet their STEP requirement, not least because the threshold for grades is set according to how many applicants they actually want to admit.

One of my friends got 3A* 4A 3B from a good private school and got A*A*AA (requirement is A*AA) and got an offer for Oxford CompSci, which has a far lower offer rate. So it’s possible, though I don’t want to get your hopes up unduly

The A they have in admaths is largely irrelevant but Oxford do look at GCSEs a fair bit but you certainly don't need 10 A*s for Chemistry, (only really medicine) and their achieved A-levels helped alot. Importantly they must've done fairly well in the TSA
One of my friends got 3A* 4A 3B from a good private school and got A*A*AA (requirement is A*AA) and got an offer for Oxford CompSci, which has a far lower offer rate. So it’s possible, though I don’t want to get your hopes up unduly

I got 1A* 1A 5B's and 2C's = no chance for me. Thanks for the advice though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending