The Student Room Group

A Level English Language Investigation Coursework Help

Hi everyone!

I have just started to think of ideas for my A Level English Language investigation coursework, and I want it to be around the theme of child language as this really interests me and I would like to be a primary school teacher when I leave university. I am struggling to think of ideas that would give me enough to talk about and I am really looking for an A grade too. One idea that I had was to look at the Horrible Histories books and compare the language used in those to that of A-Level History textbooks, but my teacher said I would probably struggle to have enough to write about and that it didn't have a clear enough purpose.

Does anybody have any ideas to do with child language that would allow me to get the A grade I need?

Thank you so much for any replies!!
Hey 👋🏻 what exam board are you doing? I’m doing OCR and I’m in year 13. I’m struggling so much as to what to write about, but I want to do something along the same route as you’re thinking.
Original post by CemXx732
Hey 👋🏻 what exam board are you doing? I’m doing OCR and I’m in year 13. I’m struggling so much as to what to write about, but I want to do something along the same route as you’re thinking.

Hi! I'm doing AQA (also year 13) but I'm sure it's pretty similar. One idea I had was to look at children's books aimed at boys and girls and to compare the different types of language used in both, which my teacher seemed to like. Another idea I had was to go to a primary school and ask children aged 7, 9 and 11 to write a description based on the same picture given to them and then compare their different writing styles, but I'm not sure how this would work as a title. Does this help at all?? :smile:
Original post by elle.hodgkinson
Hi! I'm doing AQA (also year 13) but I'm sure it's pretty similar. One idea I had was to look at children's books aimed at boys and girls and to compare the different types of language used in both, which my teacher seemed to like. Another idea I had was to go to a primary school and ask children aged 7, 9 and 11 to write a description based on the same picture given to them and then compare their different writing styles, but I'm not sure how this would work as a title. Does this help at all?? :smile:

That is exactly what I was doing! I asked 8 local primary school and none of them have got back to me so I think I’m going to have to scrap that idea, even though I asked the school 3 months ago. I’m now thinking of doing how linguistic features differ based upon the target audience of primary aged children. Id you want to talk more about it I can always add you on social media??
Original post by CemXx732
That is exactly what I was doing! I asked 8 local primary school and none of them have got back to me so I think I’m going to have to scrap that idea, even though I asked the school 3 months ago. I’m now thinking of doing how linguistic features differ based upon the target audience of primary aged children. Id you want to talk more about it I can always add you on social media??

Sure! You can message me your Snapchat or something if you'd like?
As 2000 words is roughly around the maximimum amount of words we can use to write the investigation, would this include quotes,theorists and data of language terminology etc?
Original post by Rashbeck
As 2000 words is roughly around the maximimum amount of words we can use to write the investigation, would this include quotes,theorists and data of language terminology etc?

Honestly I don't really know, sorry!
Honestly I don't really know, sorry!

No worries, but good luck with the coursework!
Sure! You can message me your Snapchat or something if you'd like?

Sure! I’ll private message you on here my username

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending