The Student Room Group

Think I've blow my chances of going to Cambridge

I was going to apply this year but my predicted grades were all B's and now I am faced with having to take a gap year. The only justification for a said gap year is that I had an inadequate year 12 and I can't decide what to do at university. I think Oxbridge is out of the question now and I don't know what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Whether Oxford/Cambridge/other unis with high offers are out of the questions depends on what you actually get at A-level.
Make a plan for how you're going to spend your gap year (unis may want you to mention in your PS what you're doing in your gap year), take your time thinking about what course you'd do at uni if you wanted to go to uni.
Reply 2
Original post by Sinnoh
Whether Oxford/Cambridge/other unis with high offers are out of the questions depends on what you actually get at A-level.
Make a plan for how you're going to spend your gap year (unis may want you to mention in your PS what you're doing in your gap year), take your time thinking about what course you'd do at uni if you wanted to go to uni.

Pretty sure I can get 3xA* but, I've heard that a gap year can lessen the competitiveness of Oxbridge candidates applications and I have no justification for mine other than I didn't have a good year 12 and I'm indecisive.
Reply 3
Original post by Xiphos
Pretty sure I can get 3xA* but, I've heard that a gap year can lessen the competitiveness of Oxbridge candidates applications and I have no justification for mine other than I didn't have a good year 12 and I'm indecisive.

If you get 3 A*s then who cares what your predicted grades were. Gap year doesn't make it less competitive (unless they actually say otherwise on the course pages) - you'll probably have higher thresholds for the admissions assessments though because you've got an extra year on most others, but all the same it's pretty damn sensible to apply with achieved grades. IMO that is a suitable justification if your teachers underestimated you, but all the same, think of something to actually do during that year.
You aren’t getting into uni with a prediction All Bs, but if you apply with achieved grades of A*x3 you have a shot. Oxbridge is of course very competitive though and you still aren’t guaranteed a place with those achieved grades.
Reply 5
Original post by ella1902
You aren’t getting into uni with a prediction All Bs, but if you apply with achieved grades of A*x3 you have a shot. Oxbridge is of course very competitive though and you still aren’t guaranteed a place with those achieved grades.

Understood.
Reply 6
Original post by Xiphos

Unless you are applying for Maths*, having a gap year does not disadvantage you in the slightest.

*Even for Maths you can still be competitive if you can show how you are keeping your maffs skillz up to date.

Which course are you considering?

Which uni (Cambridge and Oxford are not the same...)
Reply 7
Original post by Doones
Unless you are applying for Maths*, having a gap year does not disadvantage you in the slightest.

*Even for Maths you can still be competitive if you can show how you are keeping your maffs skillz up to date.

Which course are you considering?

Which uni (Cambridge and Oxford are not the same...)

history or law at Cambridge. Not considering Oxford because my GCSE's aren't outstanding.
Original post by Xiphos

Applied to Oxford for Chemistry in Year 13 and got rejected, reapplied on a gap year after getting my grades and got an offer. More than anything though, course is king and you should be able to show your interest
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by SkyRunner61
Applied to Oxford for Chemistry in Year 13 and got rejected, reapplied on a gap year after getting my grades and got an offer. More than anything though, course is king and you should be able to show your interest

what GCSE grades did you get?
Original post by Xiphos

Dont know where you heard this, but it's nonsense. I reapplied for Oxbridge, taking a gap year to do so, and can assure you that - with the exception, perhaps, of maths - you will be in no way disadvantaged by applying post A-levels. However, I would counsel you to think hard about your reason for taking the year out, and whether it is actually worth it. Much of this depends on what grades you get of course, but even if you do go on and get 3a*s I would be wary about turning down offers from good unis (which you could easily get provided good GCSEs) just for Oxbridge. One: there's no guarantee that, even with 3a*s, you'd get a place. Two: there are lots of other, very respectable unis that you may be better suited for. I reapplied to Oxbridge and got in, but in many ways regretted the decision. In the long run, whether you get to where you want to in life has precious little to do with where you went to university. The two smartest people I know are Leeds and Edinburgh grads, and the most successful person I know went to Manchester. Just take your time with making any decisions is all I'm saying.
Original post by Xiphos
what GCSE grades did you get?

10 A*s, but one of my friends from school who applied on a gap year as well had 3A* 4A 3B and he got an offer as well, and for Oxford CompSci as well
Reply 12
Original post by FlexyWex101
Dont know where you heard this, but it's nonsense. I reapplied for Oxbridge, taking a gap year to do so, and can assure you that - with the exception, perhaps, of maths - you will be in no way disadvantaged by applying post A-levels. However, I would counsel you to think hard about your reason for taking the year out, and whether it is actually worth it. Much of this depends on what grades you get of course, but even if you do go on and get 3a*s I would be wary about turning down offers from good unis (which you could easily get provided good GCSEs) just for Oxbridge. One: there's no guarantee that, even with 3a*s, you'd get a place. Two: there are lots of other, very respectable unis that you may be better suited for. I reapplied to Oxbridge and got in, but in many ways regretted the decision. In the long run, whether you get to where you want to in life has precious little to do with where you went to university. The two smartest people I know are Leeds and Edinburgh grads, and the most successful person I know went to Manchester. Just take your time with making any decisions is all I'm saying.

Given me a lot to think about, thank you. Also, I haven't applied to any universities this year because my predicted grades were B's.
Reply 13
Original post by SkyRunner61
10 A*s, but one of my friends from school who applied on a gap year as well had 3A* 4A 3B and he got an offer as well, and for Oxford CompSci as well

I have no chance at Oxford I only got 1A*
Original post by Xiphos

With respect, are you sure that Oxford and Cambridge would be a good fit for you? While plenty of people get Oxbridge offers with unusual profiles, just 1 a* at GCSE and predicted Bs at A level doesn't exactly bellow out 'Oxbridge material'. Then again, a guy I know went from relatively poor GCSEs (4-5 A*s, few As, few Bs) to straight A*s at A level and one of the best marks in his year at Cambridge Law, so it can be done. Cases like his are rare though.
Reply 15
Original post by FlexyWex101
With respect, are you sure that Oxford and Cambridge would be a good fit for you? While plenty of people get Oxbridge offers with unusual profiles, just 1 a* at GCSE and predicted Bs at A level doesn't exactly bellow out 'Oxbridge material'. Then again, a guy I know went from relatively poor GCSEs (4-5 A*s, few As, few Bs) to straight A*s at A level and one of the best marks in his year at Cambridge Law, so it can be done. Cases like his are rare though.

I've been depressed for about 4 years. Those grades are the product of 0 effort.
I would say think long and hard about the decision to take a gap year.

To be brutally honest, your GCSE results and A-Level predicted grades indicate that Oxbridge isn't for you. Moreover, speaking from experience, a history of depression doesn't bode well in helping you achieve the A-Levels you require to enter Oxbridge.

If you were to take a gap year and apply, you'd have to:
- Conquer your depression to the point of being able to work productively towards your goals
- Find a sustained passion for your subjects and whatever you will be looking to study at university
- Work incredibly hard as to get the grades you'd need to be a competitive applicant
- Find things to do during your gap year other than applying to Oxbridge
- Ace all parts of the application process from personal statement to interview

Even for a high-level overview, that's a lot you'd have to pull off. Theoretically, it's not impossible, but it'll be very difficult, and given your current record of educational attainment, I'd say unlikely.
Original post by Xiphos
I've been depressed for about 4 years. Those grades are the product of 0 effort.

Sorry to hear that. However, again with the greatest respect, there are many people who suffer from depression (I am/was one) who nevertheless manage to get top grades. Often these people aren't putting in massive effort either, in fact, I would argue that if you have to put in serious effort to get As and A*s at GCSE in particular, then that's another sign that a person is probably not cut out for Oxbridge. A levels are a little different, but, again, if you think most of the people who go to Oxbridge and other top unis had to slave 24hrs a day to get 3a* then you're mistaken. Some do, but many don't. It's very possible that your depression is all that's preventing you from acing every exam and getting into the university of your dreams, but it's equally possible that there are other factors at play and that, even with a perfect bill of health, you wouldn't necessarily get either the grades or the result that you anticipate. .
Original post by Xiphos

A gap year isn't an issue at all and you don't have to justify a gap year. You've only blown it for undergrad if you don't get competitive A level grades.
Reply 19
Original post by Xiphos
history or law at Cambridge. Not considering Oxford because my GCSE's aren't outstanding.

The HAT and LNAT are more important than your GCSEs.

Original post by Xiphos

See above.

Original post by Xiphos

Are making more effort now? Will you be able to sustain effort at university (whether that's Oxford, Cambridge or anywhere)?

There is MH support at all universities but you will still need to put some effort in...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending