The Student Room Group

How much does a university placement year earn in software engineering?

Does anyone have any average ballpark figures?
Or even better people that have done them with actual figures?
Appreciated.
Reply 1
Alas, I found it totally depended on what type of work you were doing and where you did it. I worked in Edinburgh and got a reasonably healthy ~20,000. Placements in less expensive parts of the country could wind up with ~15,000. Basically, look at the grad salary and chop about a 1/3rd off and you won't be too far wrong.

My tip would be to apply to places that interest you, and if they don't state their salary you will be told during the application process. If it's too low, you can say no! Places like ratemyplacement and Glassdoor sometimes give indicative salaries too.

I found my salary, despite being in Edinburgh, to be livable. I was pretty decadent and got a 1 bed flat which took about 50% of my monthly takehome, but I still got by quite happily. You could do much better than that if you don't mind sharing or living in a cheaper part of town than I did!
Original post by tecwhizz
Alas, I found it totally depended on what type of work you were doing and where you did it. I worked in Edinburgh and got a reasonably healthy ~20,000. Placements in less expensive parts of the country could wind up with ~15,000. Basically, look at the grad salary and chop about a 1/3rd off and you won't be too far wrong.

My tip would be to apply to places that interest you, and if they don't state theirTha salary you will be told during the application process. If it's too low, you can say no! Places like ratemyplacement and Glassdoor sometimes give indicative salaries too.

I found my salary, despite being in Edinburgh, to be livable. I was pretty decadent and got a 1 bed flat which took about 50% of my monthly takehome, but I still got by quite happily. You could do much better than that if you don't mind sharing or living in a cheaper part of town than I did!

Thank you for your response.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending