The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
In other news, water still quenches your thirst.
As someone who does not like organised religion, I strongly encourage the Bishops at the Church of England to continue issuing such advice. It is the kind of moralising that results in dwindling congregations and empty churches.
You honestly call this homophobic? :confused:
Evidence leading you to reach the conclusion that the CofE have an irrational fear of homosexual people.
That tiresome old religious promotion of sexual abstinence for all unmarried persons. :eviltongue:

The number of times I have been almost bored into a Princess Aurora style 100 year nap by the bible zealots preaching outside religious premises about marriage being: a 'binding lifetime commitment between one man and one woman- a sacred union between two persons instituted by God for the procreation of children, as a remedy against sin and a symbol of the mystical union between Christ and his church".

Annoying religious propaganda parroted by Christianity's religious hardliner and 'traditional family values' factions.
But hardly indicative of irrational fear from the entire established church.
I can recall several genuine examples of homophobia and a few vitriolic rants loudly directed against specific homosexual persons by ordained CofE priests serving in English parishes.
Reply 4
Original post by londonmyst
Evidence leading you to reach the conclusion that the CofE have an irrational fear of homosexual people.

I think you need to look up the definition of homophobia.

Why is it homophobic?? Because they have different views as to others??

What would you call it?
LGBT exclusionary policies under the guise of religious morality?
Original post by Faithgirl

No, because they single out gay people to discriminate against, it is the very definition of homophobic behaviour.
Original post by Sir Cumference
I think you need to look up the definition of homophobia.

The term 'phobia' means irrational fear.
Aquaphobia, cynophobia, coulrophobia, haemophobia.
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
No, because they single out gay people to discriminate against, it is the very definition of homophobic behaviour.

Why don't you read the article you linked!!! They have not discriminate against anybody, they simply said what they said, why would that be a phobia?? I prefer red to blue, does that mean I have a phobia of blue, because it doesn't agree with your thinking doesn't make it a phobia
Reply 10

Surely you know that this isn't how the English language works?
That tiresome old religious promotion of sexual abstinence for all unmarried persons. :eviltongue:

The number of times I have been almost bored into a Princess Aurora style 100 year nap by the bible zealots preaching outside religious premises about marriage being: a 'binding lifetime commitment between one man and one woman- a sacred union between two persons instituted by God for the procreation of children, as a remedy against sin and a symbol of the mystical union between Christ and his church".

Annoying religious propaganda parroted by Christianity's religious hardliner and 'traditional family values' factions.
But hardly indicative of irrational fear from the entire established church.
I can recall several genuine examples of homophobia and a few vitriolic rants loudly directed against specific homosexual persons by ordained CofE priests serving in English parishes.

Homophobia isn't an irrational fear of gay people lmao.
And it is homophobic, as they're saying sex is for married heterosexual couples only. It doesn't even allow same sex marriage. It's also implied that homosexual activity is unethical (“The church’s teaching on sexual ethics remains unchanged.”).
I would say all of this combined is pretty homophobic.

Having different views to others isn't homophobic. Obviously.
What is homophobic is not allowing LGBT people the same rights (such as marriage) and saying/implying it's unethical to be gay.

They saying the same stuff WBC do. Being gay is a sin, no same sex marriage etc.
Why don't you read the article you linked!!! They have not discriminate against anybody, they simply said what they said, why would that be a phobia?? I prefer red to blue, does that mean I have a phobia of blue, because it doesn't agree with your thinking doesn't make it a phobia

Homophobia is not only a fear of gay people, it is a hatred and discrimination of gay people. Exactly what the Church is doing now and has been doing for a millennia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophobia

I really shouldn't have to be explaining this but it seems there are some amongst us who wish deflect that this kind of behaviour is homophobic.
Homophobia is not only a fear of gay people, it is a hatred and discrimination of gay people. Exactly what the Church is doing now and has been doing for a millennia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophobia

I really shouldn't have to be explaining this but it seems there are some amongst us who wish deflect that this kind of behaviour is homophobic.

So when people have a different view and what they like and don't like or want and don't want they should be labeled with a phobia?? Is this what you are saying?? Because they don't agree with your way of thinking it is a phobia?? Really??
What would you call it?
LGBT exclusionary policies under the guise of religious morality?

Centuries old church fire&brimstone rhetoric from religious hardliners that have a very long list of ancient thou shalt nots and are committed to proselytizing.
I'm no supporter of the abstinence movement, live on my own, have to work on Sunday and regularly get earache from bible bashing religious zealots.
So when people have a different view and what they like and don't like or want and don't want they should be labeled with a phobia?? Is this what you are saying?? Because they don't agree with your way of thinking it is a phobia?? Really??

No, when someone has a view that discriminates against a certain group of people that could be described as a phobia.

Do you support homophobia?
Reply 16

When used with homo as a prefix it does not mean that.

Considering what year it is I thought this was an old thread reading your post, it sounds like something that would have been said 5 years ago but not today.
Centuries old church fire&brimstone rhetoric from religious hardliners that have a very long list of ancient thou shalt nots and are committed to proselytizing.
I'm no supporter of the abstinence movement, live on my own, have to work on Sunday and regularly get earache from bible bashing religious zealots.

You don't even need to be hardliner to be homophobic in Christianity.
No, when someone has a view that discriminates against a certain group of people that could be described as a phobia.

Do you support homophobia?

Because there are things I don't like or agree with or like and love you will lable me with that as well?? So I am meant to agree with everything you say?? I cannot have my own opinion, I cannot say what I like, I must say things to please you?? That won't work with me. I am my own self, I don't do things to please others
Reply 19
Or Gay people are Christianophobic 💁🏼
(edited 4 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending