The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOAS University of London - Postgraduate Applicants Thread 2020

Are you interested in SOAS and thinking about applying this year? Use this thread to connect with staff, current SOAS students, and other applicants.

SOAS will be hosting Postgraduate Open Events on 25 January, 14 March and 27 May 2020.

You can register for these events using the booking form here: https://www.soas.ac.uk/admissions/pg/openevenings/
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hello! I just submitted my application for MSc Development Economics with 2 submitted references already. I hope I get accepted hehe I'm so nervous.
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Original post by aliyaameera
Hello! I just submitted my application for MSc Development Economics with 2 submitted references already. I hope I get accepted hehe I'm so nervous.

Hi Aliyaameera. Well done, it's certainly an exciting time! Feel free to contact us with any questions you may have.
Hi,I submitted a completed application for the MSc in Finance and Financial Law over 5 weeks ago. I contacted SOAS a few days ago as my status was stuck on 'With Academic Review Team' and was informed that the department is restructuring the programmes so there is a chance my desired course may not run in September 2020. I have no idea what is going on at this point with regards to receiving an offer, and am really frustrated that SOAS did not even think to contact me to inform me of this. Why are you accepting applications without making prospective students aware of these delays and the potential implications of these changes? Could you please let me know if there is anybody I can contact directly who can provide some clarity because the admissions team have very limited information?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Hello, I just got accepted to MA Gender and Law starting in 2020 and I'm really excited! It was a fast turnaround as I applied exactly two weeks ago today. Good luck to everyone :smile:
Original post by SR_1
Hi,I submitted a completed application for the MSc in Finance and Financial Law over 5 weeks ago. I contacted SOAS a few days ago as my status was stuck on 'With Academic Review Team' and was informed that the department is restructuring the programmes so there is a chance my desired course may not run in September 2020. I have no idea what is going on at this point with regards to receiving an offer, and am really frustrated that SOAS did not even think to contact me to inform me of this. Why are you accepting applications without making prospective students aware of these delays and the potential implications of these changes? Could you please let me know if there is anybody I can contact directly who can provide some clarity because the admissions team have very limited information?

Hello SR_1,

I am sorry to hear about the difficulties you've experienced with your application.

As you may have read in our recent communications, we have decided to discontinue the MSc Finance and Financial Law course, and instead offer a new programme which aims to provide a wider global perspective: MSc International Financial Management. This programme will deliver cutting-edge ideas and international perspectives in financial management to help our graduates thrive in a highly globalized and integrated real-world business environment.

We are confident that this change will improve the degree content as well as the employability prospects of our graduates. So, rather than waiting until next year, we wanted to introduce these improvements now so students like you could benefit.

I do apologize for the time it has taken to communicate this to applicants and I can certainly understand your frustration. We will of course respect any student's decision to withdraw if they are no longer interested in the programme following these changes, and will also refund any deposit paid.

If you would like any further information, please feel free to contact me directly at +44 (0)20 7898 4311.

Best of luck with your future studies.

Ms Chantal Bougnas
Admissions Manager
Original post by momomo88
Hello, I just got accepted to MA Gender and Law starting in 2020 and I'm really excited! It was a fast turnaround as I applied exactly two weeks ago today. Good luck to everyone :smile:

Congratulations momomo88! Let us know if you have any questions about your programme or student life at SOAS. :smile:
Hi, I applied to MA Social Anthropology 5 weeks ago and I’m still haven’t heard anything from the admission office yet. Do you know how long it’ll take me to hear back?
Original post by Maolalala
Hi, I applied to MA Social Anthropology 5 weeks ago and I’m still haven’t heard anything from the admission office yet. Do you know how long it’ll take me to hear back?

Hi Maolalala,

The processing time for applications is generally about five weeks, but this can take longer during busy periods.

I understand our admissions team has recently received a high number of applications, which is likely the reason for the delay in receiving a response.

If you would like to speak to our team about the status of your application, you can contact: [email protected]

I hope this is helpful. Feel free to write back if you have any further questions!

Anna
I'm applying for MA in African Studies but I'm scared to complete my application
Original post by Umerah 1996
I'm applying for MA in African Studies but I'm scared to complete my application

Hi Umerah,

Applications can certainly feel overwhelming at times, but our team is always happy to help :smile:
Is there a particular part of the application process that is making you feel nervous?

Anna
Original post by SOAS
Hi Umerah,

Applications can certainly feel overwhelming at times, but our team is always happy to help :smile:
Is there a particular part of the application process that is making you feel nervous?

Anna

Thanks, I really appreciate the words. I'm almost done, all that's left is my personal statement.

Is there an application fee? I have seen any article or web page saying anything about the application fee.
Original post by Umerah 1996
Thanks, I really appreciate the words. I'm almost done, all that's left is my personal statement.

Is there an application fee? I have seen any article or web page saying anything about the application fee.

Hi Umerah,

There is no application fee. Best of luck with your personal statement!

Anna
Original post by SOAS
Are you interested in SOAS and thinking about applying this year? Use this thread to connect with staff, current SOAS students, and other applicants.

SOAS will be hosting Postgraduate Open Events on 25 January, 14 March and 27 May 2020.

You can register for these events using the booking form here: https://www.soas.ac.uk/admissions/pg/openevenings/

Hi people at SOAS! I hope you can be able to answer some questions. So I recently got accepted to the MA program International Studies and Diplomacy.

-Can I defer my offer? Like start in Fall 2021?

-The CISD has the field trip to Geneva- will there be an opportunity on this trip to network with UN officials? Or SOAS alumni already in the field?

-Can you share some resources for scholarships? Particularly for international applicants?

-Is there a specific grade point average to maintain in this program to secure internships or entry level positions within the UN or NGO or an embassy?

-What is the average class size for this postgraduate program?

-Is there an opportunity to add more open house dates for postgraduates in the spring? Especially in February?

The dates offered May and March won’t work for me because I work full time and I’d like to accommodate travel time to the UK

-is there an opportunity to learn more than one language outside of the modules?

-Is there an option to waive the housing deposit?

-For the dissertation, for this particular program how supportive are the professors ?

-Since this school is apart of Uni of London does the typical SOAS student have access to different campuses like a gym for library?
Reply 14
Hello! I was wondering where I can admission statistics (acceptance rate) of the two programs I'm applying to: MSc International Finance and Development and MSc Global Energy and Climate Policy!
Anyone applied for Msc research for international development? I’m still waiting for a reply. I submitted on 16/12
I would also be interested to know the admissions statistics for MA Gender and Law, please.
Hi Everyone,I applied on Jan 26th, references were sent in by Jan 31st, and my application was sent to the department (Energy and Climate Change Policy) was sent over on Tuesday, Feb 4th. What is the average wait time period? I would also love to hear from anyone else who applied for this course!Thanks!
(edited 4 years ago)
I got an offer a few days ago. For me, it’s about 5 weeks to get an offer
Reply 19
Hi! How did you check the status of your application? I submitted my application around the same time as yours but my status still reads 'Submitted'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending