The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by remussjhj01
Phobia on it's own does yes. But in the context of being used with the prefix of 'homo-', it means that you hate, dislike, or have a prejudice towards gay people. This may stem from fear, but it may just be hatred. Both are homophobic.
They are saying the same things as WBC, just not in the same way. Just because they're not harassing people, doesn't mean what they're saying isn't damaging. I didn't say that they were identical to WBC, doing and saying all the same things, but I believe WBC are protestants, so you need to think about that in relation to this, a Protestant church saying gay people shouldn't be allowed to get married or have sex etc.
And the dictionary definition of homophobia is 'a dislike or prejudice against homosexual people' so.

I'm not protestant and don't tar all protestant churches, sects or people with the same brush.

WBC are a fundamentalist baptist group.
Almost identical to Steven Anderson's appalling Faithful Word Baptist Church and very similar to Terry Jones's Dove World Outreach Center.
There are many fundamentalist groups that are very similar but less high profile both in the usa and other countries.

All fundamentalists are committed to: scriptural infallibility, scriptural literalism and scriptural inerrancy (sometimes limiting this to one bible translation).
Fundamentalist christians embrace a fire&brimstone approach to religion, are committed to a long list of ancient thou shalt nots based on theonomy and detest liberalism of all sorts.
Reply 41
Original post by londonmyst
In mainstream uk and usa society, so many people don't understand what 'phobia' in a human context means.
Thus leading to confusion, erroneously conflating irrational fear/vicious hatred/personal preference, unwittingly creating a smokescreen for the dishonest to exploit and an effective cover for evil criminals charged with violent hate crimes against gay people to hide behind in parts of the usa.

I've written about this so many times: the successful use of the notorious gay panic defence by a group of bible belt affiliated lawyers with an almost 100% acquittal or dismissal rate.
It's the reason why I always refer to Ruby Thomas as London's first convicted hate criminal gay basher to kill.
If only she had been convicted of murder instead of manslaughter. :angry:

It doesn’t matter what ‘phobia’ means. Homophobia does not mean a fear of gay people. You just need to Google the definition.
Original post by Nuttyy
One may say the same about the homophobia campaign right?

A person can say anything- whether such a claim could be considered factually accurate or even made in good faith would be another matter.

Irrational fear, hatred and personal preference are three very different things.
Attempting to counter irrational fear is fine.
But dishonesty, aggression and resorting to any harassment/criminal activity is wrong.
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
This is the debate forum :facepalm2:

Glad you pointed it out!!! Then I will take myself out of what you call a "debate" as long as I am on this earth I will never support not bow down to homophobia
Original post by Faithgirl
Glad you pointed it out!!! Then I will take myself out of what you call a "debate" as long as I am on this earth I will never support not bow down to homophobia

Honestly as long as you’re not one of these Christians who thinks civil partnerships should be banned or wants gay people dead I’m not too bothered imho
Look I don't want anybody dead!!!! We are all deserving and should all be here, I love people. I just do not support homophobia, and that is my right as well, I've not shamed anybody nor put anybody down not called any names, I was asked a question and I simply answered, it's not my fault if some people don't like what I have to say. Matter of fact my best friend is gay. I love people but I simply do not support it, is that a crime?? And I ain't changing my views to please some people. I said what I said
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Faithgirl
Look I don't want anybody dead!!!! We are all deserving and should all be here, I love people. I just do not support homophobia, and that is my right as well, I've not shamed anybody nor put anybody down not called any names, I was asked a question and I simply answered, it's not my fault if some people don't like what I have to say. Matter of fact my best friend is gay. I love people but I simply do not support it, is that a crime?? And I ain't changing my views to please some people. I said what I said

You are entitled to your opinion; Likewise every gay person around you is perfectly entitled to not care about what you think 😊
Original post by Sir Cumference
It doesn’t matter what ‘phobia’ means. Homophobia does not mean a fear of gay people. You just need to Google the definition.

Actually the meaning of 'phobia' does matter.
In many criminal cases, it has been the difference between a judicial/jury finding of innocence or guilt at the criminal trial of a gay basher on hate crime charges. All confusion and dishonesty only benefits the worst of bad apples.

I'm not in the habit of relying on google or wikipedia content.
If you are and are happy to cite such information on uni essays or professional assignments- good luck.
Why are people debating the semantics of the arbitrary word that we, collectively as English-speaking people, have coined for the phenomena of excluding those that aren't straight from societal and social constructs? Who cares what the word is that we call it?

This is prejudiced, whatever you want to call it. Detracting from the debate makes you appear as an enabler or sympathetic towards the topic, it does not make you appear intelligent to disagree with an established dictionary definition. Pointless waste of time and adds precisely nothing to the debate. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
In many criminal cases, it has been the difference between a judicial/jury finding of innocence or guilt at the criminal trial of a gay basher on hate crime charges. All confusion and dishonesty only benefits the worst of bad apples.

If you are and are happy to cite such information on uni essays or professional assignments- good luck.

This isn't a criminal trial or a professional essay this is a forum where we use words typically from the dictionary.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/homophobia
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/homophobia
https://www.britannica.com/topic/homophobia

Are you going to argue that those are all wrong too?
Reply 50
I'd be surprised if they weren't homophobic. The CofE is Christian so it would be pretty pathetic if they abandon the bible for public approval.
Exactly!!! We all have choices in life not to agree with me and that's perfectly fine, I'm agreeing with you but don't come for me because I don't agree with that view, I didn't mean you personally by the way, it's their business, nothing to do with me, just don't support it, have a good evening
Original post by Paracosm
Why are people debating the semantics of the arbitrary word that we, collectively as English-speaking people, have coined for the phenomena of excluding those that aren't straight from societal and social constructs? Who cares what the word is that we call it?

This is prejudiced, whatever you want to call it. Detracting from the debate makes you appear as an enabler or sympathetic towards the topic, it does not make you appear intelligent to disagree with an established dictionary definition. Pointless waste of time and adds precisely nothing to the debate. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

This is TSR 2020, what a year you have to look forward to :lol:
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
This is TSR 2020, what a year you have to look forward to :lol:

You're on PRSOM :frown:
Original post by SaDe7
I'd be surprised if they weren't homophobic. The CofE is Christian so it would be pretty pathetic if they abandon the bible for public approval.

Christianity is a very broad church, not a fringe sect.
There are plenty of churches that are involved in LGBT activism and welcome worshippers from every law abiding community.
Quakers and the Church of Scotland are happy to perform gay marriages in their own religious premises.
Reply 55

I didn’t mention Wikipedia. If you use Google you can find a variety of definitions from reputable sources. If you were writing an essay, which source would you use to back up your claim that homophobia means the irrational fear of gay people? If your claim is only based on the word “phobia” then you’ll get 0/20.

This is all so silly - you know what the accepted definition is and I don’t know why you’re arguing.
meh.
Original post by Nuttyy
Or Gay people are Christianophobic 💁🏼

eh!?
Why is everyone here focusing on the meaning of words rather than the action of those in charge of the Church of England?
Reply 59
Would I be classed as 'homophobic' if I didn't agree with gay marriage?

If so, why is this nation allowing the Leader of the House, Rt Hon Jacob Rees-Mogg MP to hold such a position in government? He doesn't agree with gay marriage as he's quite openly said. He is a devout Catholic and abides by their rulings.

If you answer yes to the question I posed above, you're calling over half the population 'homophobic', considering 56% of the world are either followers of Christianity or Islam, both of which condemn gay marriage.

If a minute proportion of the world is Vegan, it doesnt mean the entire world must agree to or adopt the vegan diet lmfao. Why should I be flogged for saying Vegan diets are dangerous and shouldn't be followed for Health purposes?
(edited 4 years ago)

Latest