The Student Room Group

Laptop

I intend to apply for a biomedical engineering course (bachelor).And reviewing a couple of videos I conclude that for engineering I need a good-very good laptop(probably gaming).Can someone advice me?which and why is better?if to talk about the money around 1000-1500 $ (max 1800)

Scroll to see replies

I need it for university not gamesss
Older Dell XPS will do.
Reply 3
You want a minimum of a quad core (i5 8th gen or higher or Ryzen 5 2nd gen or higher) with at least 8GB RAM.
Will a mac book pro be enough?
Also about the programs at university working/studying could they work on macOS?
Reply 6
Original post by Alexandru mudre
Will a mac book pro be enough?

Also about the programs at university working/studying could they work on macOS?

You will have access to dedicated workstations in a lab.

Many students use a MBP, but it's entirely up to you,
MBP?
Reply 8
MBP?

MacBook Pro
And if I am going to buy a MacBookpro 13” 2019 which cpu ram memory should I buy?
Reply 10
And if I am going to buy a MacBookpro 13” 2019 which cpu ram memory should I buy?

Entirely up to you.

But why a Mac?
MacBooks dont support most of the wackadoodle software we need in engineering. I dont know about biomed but im doing chemical, 1st year, and I'm really glad i got an absolute tank of a Windows device.

At £1100, I got an i7 9750h, 16gb of DDR4 dual-channel RAM, and an RTX 2060 graphics card. -That last was because of AutoCAD, and other graphics software I'll need.

You need a powerful processor and at least 16gb of RAM. and a decent (at least a 1660Ti or an RTX graphics card) given your price range.

This is basically a gaming laptop- all of the above is also the recommended spec for gaming, by coincidence.

So don't expect to have a thin and light cute little cartoon like a MacBook or a Dell XPS, or the like.
It'll be a chunky beast with a stupid battery life, but at least you can run the work you need to on your own laptop rather than being tied down to university workstations.

At my university, they have high spec computers with the most powerful graphics cards and processors available - 6 years ago. They crash somewhat often when doing the most intense workloads so yeah.
not quite. 8 gb of RAM would be too low to survive heavy workloads, usually something like ANSYS would crash and claim "insufficient memory".
If OP has $1500 to spend he/she should probably get something that'll allow them to work freely, rather than buying a flashy sleek waste of money and being tied down to ageing university workstations.

Original post by Doones
Entirely up to you.

But why a Mac?
Original post by Jaguar1200
MacBooks dont support most of the wackadoodle software we need in engineering. I dont know about biomed but im doing chemical, 1st year, and I'm really glad i got an absolute tank of a Windows device.

At £1100, I got an i7 9750h, 16gb of DDR4 dual-channel RAM, and an RTX 2060 graphics card. -That last was because of AutoCAD, and other graphics software I'll need.

You need a powerful processor and at least 16gb of RAM. and a decent (at least a 1660Ti or an RTX graphics card) given your price range.

This is basically a gaming laptop- all of the above is also the recommended spec for gaming, by coincidence.

So don't expect to have a thin and light cute little cartoon like a MacBook or a Dell XPS, or the like.
It'll be a chunky beast with a stupid battery life, but at least you can run the work you need to on your own laptop rather than being tied down to university workstations.

At my university, they have high spec computers with the most powerful graphics cards and processors available - 6 years ago. They crash somewhat often when doing the most intense workloads so yeah.

Thank you very muchh,can u give some example of laptop,or at least the one u have?
Reply 14
Original post by Jaguar1200
not quite. 8 gb of RAM would be too low to survive heavy workloads, usually something like ANSYS would crash and claim "insufficient memory".
If OP has $1500 to spend he/she should probably get something that'll allow them to work freely, rather than buying a flashy sleek waste of money and being tied down to ageing university workstations.

I guess the issue is to check the kit in the labs at universities you are considering. They really shouldn't be "ageing" :wink:

Students shouldn't be expected to have high spec laptops or desktops.
Original post by Doones
I guess the issue is to check the kit in the labs at universities you are considering. They really shouldn't be "ageing" :wink:

Students shouldn't be expected to have high spec laptops or desktops.

What about Birmingham City University?
Reply 16
What about Birmingham City University?

No idea, sorry. This is why it's important to visit...
Original post by Doones
No idea, sorry. This is why it's important to visit...

Okay,I wrote an email to the bimedical engineering headmaster or smth, maybe this could help
But thank you very much anyway🙇🏻*♂️
Reply 18
Okay,I wrote an email to the bimedical engineering headmaster or smth, maybe this could help
But thank you very much anyway🙇🏻*♂️

Facilities look good.
https://www.bcu.ac.uk/engineering/about-us/facilities-showcase

Screenshot_20200123-215116-compressed.png.jpeg

Yes i agree,but anyway gonna wait for university answer until making a decision

Quick Reply

Latest