The Student Room Group

State or private sixth form?

Hi. I’m currently in year 11 and go to a state school. I have been accepted in a good private school for sixth form (I think they’re about 30th in the league table?) but don’t know whether I should go to the private school or carry on to do a levels at my state school.

12 people secured places in oxbridge at the private school last year while 8 people in my state were given conditional offers this year (a few days ago).

The private school takes about 45 mins to get there and 45 mins to get back home. So 1.5 hrs total every day of travelling. My state school is a 10-15 minute walk away.

I really don’t know which one I should go to because the private school obviously costs a lot while the state school is free. However I’d like to go to oxbridge and I don’t know whether going to the state school instead of the private school would hurt my chances and by how much?

I’ve been to the open evenings and open days at the private school and been to open evenings at my state school. The private school is grander and the atmosphere is more driven and put together. Teachers at the private school seem more organised and enthusiastic when teaching. The facilities are amazing (building dedicated to music, fully equipped gym, library etc.) compared to my state school which is quite run down. in my state school the teaching level isn’t as good as the private school and the people and the atmosphere are quite laid back. Business dress is a must in the private school while casual clothes are fine at the state school.

I don’t know whether I’d get into oxbridge if I go to the state school but if I go to the private school I’m still not sure whether I will get in or end up wasting thirty grand. Is the private school worth it? Will going there increase my chances and by how much?

Plus, I’d miss out on the opportunities given to high achieving state students eg uniq, target oxbridge etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! xx

For context, I’m taking maths, fm, economics, and history for a levels. My predicted grades for GCSEs are mostly nines.
Reply 1
Original post by L.Stewart
Hi. I’m currently in year 11 and go to a state school. I have been accepted in a good private school for sixth form (I think they’re about 30th in the league table?) but don’t know whether I should go to the private school or carry on to do a levels at my state school.

12 people secured places in oxbridge at the private school last year while 8 people in my state were given conditional offers this year (a few days ago).

The private school takes about 45 mins to get there and 45 mins to get back home. So 1.5 hrs total every day of travelling. My state school is a 10-15 minute walk away.

I really don’t know which one I should go to because the private school obviously costs a lot while the state school is free. However I’d like to go to oxbridge and I don’t know whether going to the state school instead of the private school would hurt my chances and by how much?

I’ve been to the open evenings and open days at the private school and been to open evenings at my state school. The private school is grander and the atmosphere is more driven and put together. Teachers at the private school seem more organised and enthusiastic when teaching. The facilities are amazing (building dedicated to music, fully equipped gym, library etc.) compared to my state school which is quite run down. in my state school the teaching level isn’t as good as the private school and the people and the atmosphere are quite laid back. Business dress is a must in the private school while casual clothes are fine at the state school.

I don’t know whether I’d get into oxbridge if I go to the state school but if I go to the private school I’m still not sure whether I will get in or end up wasting thirty grand. Is the private school worth it? Will going there increase my chances and by how much?

Plus, I’d miss out on the opportunities given to high achieving state students eg uniq, target oxbridge etc.

For context, I’m taking maths, fm, economics, and history for a levels. My predicted grades for GCSEs are mostly nines.

The number of oxbridge applicant is irrelevant, though private school students are at huge advantage and far more likely to get accepted due to the level of support they receive to prepare for their application (tests and also interview). It doesn't fully reflect the teaching quality, nor standard of the institution. Many of those sixth from with many successful oxbridge applicants tend to be selective schools who would only take in those with high GCSEs grades and motivation.

The teaching quality should be your number one priority. From your situation I don't see a reason why you'd turn down your offer to go to the private school, when the state school (from the way you've described) offer no sort of advantages over it. You're far more likely to benefit from a private school: smaller class size where teachers can fully commit to help each students individually, better qualified teachers, better materials given, far more opportunities for position of responsibility, etc. The most astonishing difference is the quality of advice you'll get for your chosen career: teachers at private school will put far more effort into tailoring their advice for you to ensure to reach your goals, whereas at state school its non existent. The level of motivation amongst students will also be much higher.

Also have you thought about what you will do if you don't get into oxbridge? This is important as many sixth former don't think about it and end up being crushed. Though they are amazing unis and will give you a lot of chances, its not the end of the world if you don't get in. It won't affect your prospects provided you choose another excellent uni to go to, work hard and gain relevant experiences.

Ultimately, what matters is how hard you work. What do you want to study at university? Besides more people from state school are accepted into Oxford than private schools.
Reply 3
Original post by JesusFollower15.
Ultimately, what matters is how hard you work. What do you want to study at university? Besides more people from state school are accepted into Oxford than private schools.

Overall yes because the number of state school applicants far outnumber private school applicants, but that doesn't show the full picture. If you compare stats wise (e.g. offer given private school students per total number of private school students, and the same for state school) there is a difference. Here's some data based on 2016 admission (it hasn't changed much):

0.1-Cambridge-admissions-stats.png

0.1-Both-university-admissions-stats.png
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
thank you for your responses! I appreciate it a lot. I think ill go to the private school.
Cool, does the private school have good pastoral support, cause A-levels can be hectic?

I know someone who moved to boarding school for sixth form

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending