The Student Room Group

Higher French 2019-2020

Hi everyone!
I’m sure this won’t be used at all before about October - December but I thought that I would set this up now as most people have started S5/S6 now
How is everyone getting on with Higher?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thepunmaster.e
Hi everyone!
I’m sure this won’t be used at all before about October - December but I thought that I would set this up now as most people have started S5/S6 now

Enjoy Higher French guys. It's a great subject! If you need any help, feel free to ask me. :smile:
Higher has been pretty decent so far. We've not done much yet but we have looked at two peoms
Hi everyone!
Do we need to learn poems for french 😂
Original post by SchuylerSister22
Higher has been pretty decent so far. We've not done much yet but we have looked at two peoms
Nope, I guess my teacher just really likes poems 😂😂😂
Do we need to learn poems for french 😂
Reply 5
Who on earth thought it would be a good idea to have H French TWO DAYS after H English!!?!?!?! HEEELP
Wow looks like this subject really took off!! Anyone done their mocks yet - I felt as though ours were almost dumbed down especially in the listening and translation?
I done higher last year and got an A so If anyone needs any tips just ask
Original post by Katyyferrierr
I done higher last year and got an A so If anyone needs any tips just ask

Any tips about speaking - it’s what I feel will be my weakness this year, even though I managed full marks at N5. Also any shows/podcasts or further learning you did that helped? I love the actual language and find learning it fun, so am kinda looking for ways to incorporate it into everyday!
Original post by Mollyanne2003
Any tips about speaking - it’s what I feel will be my weakness this year, even though I managed full marks at N5. Also any shows/podcasts or further learning you did that helped? I love the actual language and find learning it fun, so am kinda looking for ways to incorporate it into everyday!

My favourite thing to watch was french news as it’s easy to follow along with if u don’t understand certain parts, pretty sure there’s also slow french new on YouTube that’s available. With the speaking the only difficulty is trying to memorise the content which, I had 10 answers that each lasted 1 minute tho to make up the 10 minutes to minimise the amount. The accent isn’t a major concern and as long as you pronounce the words with accents with the sound it’s meant to be you’ll be fine
My favourite thing to watch was french news as it’s easy to follow along with if u don’t understand certain parts, pretty sure there’s also slow french new on YouTube that’s available. With the speaking the only difficulty is trying to memorise the content which, I had 10 answers that each lasted 1 minute tho to make up the 10 minutes to minimise the amount. The accent isn’t a major concern and as long as you pronounce the words with accents with the sound it’s meant to be you’ll be fine

Thanks! I didn’t know what exactly the speaking would be like, as obviously last year, we basically recited a passage that we wrote in holidays, then answered questions on school and realtionship (I went to a lot of extra french classes my teacher put on so she basically knew exactly what I wanted asked! She threw in a couple unpredictables as well but other than that I basically had preprepared answers for most things) .... I’ll definitely start watching some french news then - any recommended channels lol
Wow looks like this subject really took off!! Anyone done their mocks yet - I felt as though ours were almost dumbed down especially in the listening and translation?

I made a thread on SQA language exams if you want to have a look: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2320896

Let me know if you need any help! :rambo:

I thought the reading was surprisingly way too easy, not that I'd want it very hard but it just didn't feel like higher work. For the listening I felt they spoke too fast in Item 2 which I normally don't find an issue, and it's also a pain that you only get to hear things twice instead of three times.

Which prelim did you do?
Thanks! I didn’t know what exactly the speaking would be like, as obviously last year, we basically recited a passage that we wrote in holidays, then answered questions on school and realtionship (I went to a lot of extra french classes my teacher put on so she basically knew exactly what I wanted asked! She threw in a couple unpredictables as well but other than that I basically had preprepared answers for most things) .... I’ll definitely start watching some french news then - any recommended channels lol

Only difference with the higher speaking is it’s a 10 minute conversation but your still allowed 40 words so it’s not bad if u prepare well
Also if anyone needs help with translation, my teacher uses to print out lyrics to songs for us and make us translate them into English and then we would compare it to the actual translation, was a rlly fun but useful way to revise translation
I thought the reading was surprisingly way too easy, not that I'd want it very hard but it just didn't feel like higher work. For the listening I felt they spoke too fast in Item 2 which I normally don't find an issue, and it's also a pain that you only get to hear things twice instead of three times.

Which prelim did you do?

I’m not very sure - reading was about obesity and writing choices were set in a language school or a crepe restaurant. Our listening DJ thought were quite nice, first one was about Erasmus, and then the second one about a gap year! Definitely agree with the pain of hearing things twice, I would’ve appreciated a third playing to double check my answers
Only difference with the higher speaking is it’s a 10 minute conversation but your still allowed 40 words so it’s not bad if u prepare well

Ah okay, I didn’t actually take any words in with me in N5 as I found it distracted me, but I remember on my practice speaking I always had a question to ask written on a piece of paper, and made sure I slotted it in (it gives you time to breathe before the next question as the teacher has to answer themselves!)
I’m not very sure - reading was about obesity and writing choices were set in a language school or a crepe restaurant. Our listening DJ thought were quite nice, first one was about Erasmus, and then the second one about a gap year! Definitely agree with the pain of hearing things twice, I would’ve appreciated a third playing to double check my answers

We did that one too!!
We did that one too!!

I thought it was quite a good paper! How’d you find it?
I thought it was quite a good paper! How’d you find it?

I thought it was really good :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending