The Student Room Group

why did edexcel and Cambridge stopped offering UK A levels internationally?

Especially about the science A levels.

And why does do NARIC say comparable but not equivalent?

Does it mean international A levels have a lower standard than U.K. ones?

Also these seem to have a lot more flexibility than UK A level. To me it seems they are making it more easier for internationals and lowering the standards....thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tim3

Also these seem to have a lot more flexibility than UK A level. To me it seems they are making it more easier for internationals and lowering the standards....thoughts?

Care to link?
Cambridge still appear to offer international A levels and they dnt exist as a UK exam board?

Cambridge international A levels and Edexcel IAL are equivalent to A levels offered by UK exam boards and always have been.
With science you had better be sure you do the practical endorsement as that is usually required.
Reply 2
Original post by tim3

??
CIE and Edexcel haven't stopped, they still offer A-levels internationally.
https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-advanced/cambridge-international-as-and-a-levels/
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-advanced-levels.html

Also NARIC says:
"Review of associated outcomes considered UK university admissions policies and found that Cambridge International A Levels are typically accepted with the same grade requirements as those stipulated for national A Level holders."

So yes they are directly comparable with domestic UK A-levels.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Doones
??
CIE and Edexcel haven't stopped, they still offer A-levels internationally.
https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-advanced/cambridge-international-as-and-a-levels/
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-advanced-levels.html

Also NARIC says:
"Review of associated outcomes considered UK university admissions policies and found that Cambridge International A Levels are typically accepted with the same grade requirements as those stipulated for national A Level holders."

So yes they are directly comparable with domestic UK A-levels.

Thanks a lot for the reply mate.

I meant Cambridge Assesment. I am asking Why have a seperate International Assesment and not the A levels sat by the UK students? Edexcel used to do this Before but they stopped.

I had a debate with my friend who said we should have equivalent exams and not comparable ones regulated by Ofqual.

Cambridge does seem to offer a closer A levels and I personally prefer the Cambridge board. But why not simply offer OCR A levels and we all sit the same paper?

I could not really reply to this. But I wonder who stop offer the UK A levels.
Original post by tim3
Thanks a lot for the reply mate.

I meant Cambridge Assesment. I am asking Why have a seperate International Assesment and not the A levels sat by the UK students? Edexcel used to do this Before but they stopped.

I had a debate with my friend who said we should have equivalent exams and not comparable ones regulated by Ofqual.

Cambridge does seem to offer a closer A levels and I personally prefer the Cambridge board. But why not simply offer OCR A levels and we all sit the same paper?

I could not really reply to this. But I wonder who stop offer the UK A levels.

International A levels are often all exam and are for the international market. A lot are still split into AS and A2. UK exams are linear.
UK A levels involve a portion of coursework, which takes more effort to maintain standards if spread over the world.
Ask Edexcel, but if they were ever offered then it will be down to cost and business demands of the local markets.
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
International A levels are often all exam and are for the international market. A lot are still split into AS and A2. UK exams are linear.
UK A levels involve a portion of coursework, which takes more effort to maintain standards if spread over the world.
Ask Edexcel, but if they were ever offered then it will be down to cost and business demands of the local markets.

Yeah I know UK a levels are linear. But then does not that make international A levels a bit of lower standard ?
Do the science A levels require coursework ? Cambridge already makes you sit for a practical paper
Original post by tim3
Yeah I know UK a levels are linear. But then does not that make international A levels a bit of lower standard ?
Do the science A levels require coursework ? Cambridge already makes you sit for a practical paper

No. They are accepted by UK unis. Why else would you care?
Do you have a point?
Reply 7
No. They are accepted by UK unis. Why else would you care?
Do you have a point?

Hmmm. My friend wasn’t satisfied. He still feels U.K. A levels are better than international A levels
Original post by tim3
Hmmm. My friend wasn’t satisfied. He still feels U.K. A levels are better than international A levels

His opinion doesnt matter in the scheme of things. Unis dont care and they are the ones who decide entry.
Reply 9
His opinion doesnt matter in the scheme of things. Unis dont care and they are the ones who decide entry.

Lol
He still is an excellent student, knuckle head scored 4 A*
Original post by tim3
Lol
He still is an excellent student, knuckle head scored 4 A*

Did he do CIE, Edexcel IAL and UK A levels?
Does he have more experience than universities, the exam boards and OFQUAL?
Reply 11
Did he do CIE, Edexcel IAL and UK A levels?
Does he have more experience than universities, the exam boards and OFQUAL?

We both did CIE .
He is doing his phD. And we did had a discussion about Ofqual. The fact Ofqual do not regulate International A levels is what ticked him off,
Original post by tim3
We both did CIE .
He is doing his phD. And we did had a discussion about Ofqual. The fact Ofqual do not regulate International A levels is what ticked him off,

i can see why they wouldn't accept IAL
Reply 13
Original post by 1st superstar
i check for Edexcel and they are not accredited by any UK unis probably because they are "easier"... IAL.png

Cambridge international aren’t either. Edexcel International is still modular.
Reply 14
i can see why they wouldn't accept IAL

But then why are you allowed to sit for Cambridge international A levels in U.K.?
Original post by tim3
But then why are you allowed to sit for Cambridge A levels in U.K.?

idk tbh (but the whole point of IAL is so that students living abroad can do A-levels but even then if you wanna apply to a UK then you might as well do the regular UK A-levels)... but lol just checked an IAL 2018 French paper (Cambridge) looks way easier than my paper where i'll have to write on a book, flim etc but hey i guess? (plus the IAL Cambridge spec has changed since then)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 16
idk tbh (but the whole point of IAL is so that students living abroad can do A-levels but even then if you wanna apply to a UK then you might as well do the regular UK A-levels)... but lol just checked an IAL 2018 French paper (Cambridge) looks way easier than my paper where i'll have to write on a book, flim etc but hey i guess? (plus the IAL Cambridge spec gas changed since then)

Exactly my point. These boards can simply offer their A levels internationally. That’s what my friend was arguing. We should simply sit for the Ofqual regulated A levels. Nobody needs things to be easier. It does not truly help in the long run.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by tim3
Exactly my point. These boards can simply offer their A levels internationally. That’s what my fire department was arguing. We should simply sit for the Ofqual regulated A levels. Nobody needs things to be easier. It does not truly help in the long run.

agreed all intentional students should also sit the regular UK A-levels makes like easier especially considering the UK has some of the best unis in the world
Reply 18
agreed all intentional students should also sit the regular UK A-levels makes like easier especially considering the UK has some of the best unis in the world

Correction it’s his point.
Reply 19
i check for Edexcel and they are not accredited by any UK unis probably because they are "easier"... IAL.png

That's not what that page is saying. It's saying they aren't regulated by a UK body which is self-evident because they are international!

Edexcel International A-levels are accepted as equivalent to domestic A-levels by all UK universities.

e.g. Cambridge University: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-students/eu-and-international-qualifications

"Please note that International AS and A Levels (offered by Cambridge International, Oxford AQA or Pearson Edexcel) are recognised as equivalent to UK Board GCE AS and A Levels."

Quick Reply