The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nuttyy
They're not good Christians or Muslims if they disagree with their religion 💁🏼*♂️. Both religions are very specific on their stance on gay marriages, no point Muslims or Christians trying to delude themselves to fit into social norms.

If your religion is built on cruelty to others then be a bad follower. Or, alternatively follow the spirit of Jesus's teachings - love and kindness.
Reply 81
Saddened at the people here supporting inequality. Besides denying gay people the same rights based on a 2,000 year old book does seem a little “irrational” if you’re going to argue that homophobia means an irrational fear of homosexuality. Anyway if there is an “omnibenevolent” god I’m sure he believe in love, otherwise he is not omnibenevolent.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by Em.-.
Saddened at the people here supporting inequality. Besides denying gay people the same rights based on a 2,000 year old book does seem a little “irrational” if you’re going to argue that homophobia means an irrational fear of homosexuality. Anyway if there is an “omnibenevolent” god I’m sure he believe in love, otherwise he is not omnibenevolent.

I am bewildered by people like you. Why do you feel like the majority should conform to the minority, 😂? Its such an arrogant stance that your belief is superior to the belief of billions. If a person believes in the word of God, then there is little you can do to persuade them. Abandoning something '2000' years old seems more irrational to Christians than to accept social norms innovated within the last few decades.
Original post by Em.-.

Saddened that some people don't agree with your way of thinking? As a christian I am not going to change my views or down down to support gay marriage to please what the current media or what's current in the world now thinks is acceptable, it might be irrational to you and that's your problem, but it perfectly makes sense to me and I'm not expecting you or anyone else to understand

Original post by Nuttyy
I am bewildered by people like you. Why do you feel like the majority should conform to the minority, 😂? Its such an arrogant stance that your belief is superior to the belief of billions. If a person believes in the word of God, then there is little you can do to persuade them. Abandoning something '2000' years old seems more irrational to Christians than to accept social norms innovated within the last few decades.

Thank you exactly this. As a christian I am not going to change my views or down down to support gay marriage to please what the current media or what's current in the world now think it's right. And when you disagree, you are labelled this, that, not nice, blah blah. They want to force you to conform to their ways of thinking, well not me!!!
(edited 4 years ago)
Nothing homophobic here to be honest.

Thread closed.
Original post by WoopWoo
One of the points of religion is that it is believed by its followers to be the word of God.

Thus, in the view of the church it is not up to a priest or pastor to pick and choose religious beliefs, and in doing so go against what they believe to be the command of God, based off of what suits them and makes them happy.

Therefore it is perfectly fine for the Church, and its many millions of followers, to stick to the Christian belief that marriage is a ritual performed between man and woman. In no way does refusing to alter ones religious values based off of popular demand or societal changes constitute homophobia, and it is equally your duty to respect the religious beliefs of others as it is the duty of a Christian to respect your value as a human being, and by holding to their traditional views on gay marriage/ gay intercourse, they are in no way discriminating against you or refusing to accept that members of the LGBT community should be treated equally with respect and kindness.

Discriminatory behaviour is not "perfectly fine" and there is no compulsion to respect wildly outdated beliefs.
Original post by laurawatt
Just because some CofE believers do not support gay sexual relations, it doesn't mean that all of us don't. In my (CofE) opinion, people should be able to marry etc. whoever they want. Our church allows anyone in and makes sure everyone feels welcomed, not just the heterosexuals.

If you are of member of the CofE then surely you agree with their teachings?

If not then why do you keep following them?
Reply 87
Original post by WoopWoo
as it is the duty of a Christian to respect your value as a human being, and by holding to their traditional views on gay marriage/ gay intercourse, they are in no way discriminating against you or refusing to accept that members of the LGBT community should be treated equally with respect and kindness.

But if you don’t approve of them marrying then you’re not treating them equally nor with respect. It is discrimination as you don’t want them to marry whereas heterosexual couples can, based on their genders.
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
No, because they single out gay people to discriminate against, it is the very definition of homophobic behaviour.

I do not think they single out any particular group. They criticise practices they believe are wrong. Groups that disagree with their teachings single those teachings out and broadcast them to the public through affiliated media outlets in this case The Guardian, a marxist, communist newspaper, very anti-religion, pro-feminist, a newspaper that strongly believes in the idea that sexuality is a social construct, a newspaper that has often written articles promoting paedophilia, individuals who promote sex with animals etc.

Its not the church that is singling anyone out. Its people that single its teachings out. If singling groups of people out is a phobia then I think it would be fair to say that those people singling the christian church out for its teachings are christian-phobic.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
If your religion is built on cruelty to others then be a bad follower. Or, alternatively follow the spirit of Jesus's teachings - love and kindness.

He does not only teach love and kindness. Those are only a small part of his teachings. He did not teach his followers to love and respect things that he taught were wrong/evil, for example those money changers and merchants whose tables he turned and whom he violently expelled from the temples of Jerusalem along side his disciples.
Discriminatory behaviour is not "perfectly fine" and there is no compulsion to respect wildly outdated beliefs.

well it might be outdated to you but it isn't to them. People believe that it is God's word and so it has no expiry date. We can't force people to change their personal views. Just be happy we live in a country where people can be exactly who they want to be, whether that's being christian or gay or even both.
Original post by Grandmaster24601
well it might be outdated to you but it isn't to them. People believe that it is God's word and so it has no expiry date. We can't force people to change their personal views. Just be happy we live in a country where people can be exactly who they want to be, whether that's being christian or gay or even both.

Apart from many of them are more than happy to ignore many of the Bible's rules such as the ban on eating seafood that does not have scales and fins or pork.
Original post by Pinkisk
He does not only teach love and kindness. Those are only a small part of his teachings. He did not teach his followers to love and respect things that he taught were wrong/evil, for example those money changers and merchants whose tables he turned and whom he violently expelled from the temples of Jerusalem along side his disciples.

So, as I said in the previous post:

Jesus' core message being one of tolerance and acceptance of your fellow man (except bankers, man was big into whipping them and rightly so).

Let's be clear, jesus never said anything about homosexuality, biblical positions on homosexuality are drawn mostly from Paul being an annoying intrusive prat, and so can be dismissed without compromising the core belief in Jesus's teachings of Christianity
Original post by Pinkisk
I do not think they single out any particular group. They criticise practices they believe are wrong. Groups that disagree with their teachings single those teachings out and broadcast them to the public through affiliated media outlets in this case The Guardian, a marxist, communist newspaper, very anti-religion, pro-feminist, a newspaper that strongly believes in the idea that sexuality is a social construct, a newspaper that has often written articles promoting paedophilia, individuals who promote sex with animals etc.

Its not the church that is singling anyone out. Its people that single its teachings out. If singling groups of people out is a phobia then I think it would be fair to say that those people singling the christian church out for its teachings are christian-phobic.

Singling someone out is not grounds for discrimination, however treating them worse than someone else because of certain characteristics could be called discrimination.

The Guardian was reporting on something that the CofE recently produced, hard to report on something without at least naming the organisation involved.

The story is about the CofE, if you want to talk about all religions then you will need to make a new thread, although I think that topic has been done to death at this point.
If you are of member of the CofE then surely you agree with their teachings?

If not then why do you keep following them?

I agree with most of their teachings, this is just one that I disagree with, as “we are all one in Christ Jesus” etc etc,
I believe that God made us all in his image, and so we are exactly how he wants us to be - and if that’s homosexual (or anything else (within reason)) then we should support that!
Apart from many of them are more than happy to ignore many of the Bible's rules such as the ban on eating seafood that does not have scales and fins or pork.

very true
I agree with most of their teachings, this is just one that I disagree with, as “we are all one in Christ Jesus” etc etc,
I believe that God made us all in his image, and so we are exactly how he wants us to be - and if that’s homosexual (or anything else (within reason)) then we should support that!

That's an interesting perspective. It sounds beautiful, but I don't know if it's fair. I mean, if G_d made us all in his image and you interpret this as including sexuality, then G_d made paedophiles how he wants them to be...this would imply that G_d finds paedophilia acceptable. I don't think he does. So I do not think your interpretation of this christian principle is correct.
Original post by Pinkisk
That's an interesting perspective. It sounds beautiful, but I don't know if it's fair. I mean, if G_d made us all in his image and you interpret this as including sexuality, then G_d made paedophiles how he wants them to be...this would imply that G_d finds paedophilia acceptable. I don't think he does. So I do not think your interpretation of this christian principle is correct.

I knew someone would say something like this, hence why I added the “within reason” bit at the end :smile:
God gave us the free will to do what we want with our lives, and unfortunately some people veer off the right path, that is what comes with us being able to choose.
God gave us the free will to do what we want with our lives, and unfortunately some people veer off the right path, that is what comes with us being able to choose.

I agree with this entirely. G_d gave us free will to do with our lives what we please. He also gave us rules. In Christianity one of these rules is that homosexuality is a wrong choice. Those who follow it, according to christianity, are committing to choices that are greatly sinful. The christian god gave Sodom and Gomorra as examples of how much offence he takes from this choice. People are free to make it, but they, according to the christian god, would be doing something greatly sinful.
Original post by londonmyst
The term 'phobia' means irrational fear.
Aquaphobia, cynophobia, coulrophobia, haemophobia.

This is inordinately pedantic and wrong.
the suffix is clearly not being used in the psychiatric sense. prefixes, suffixes and words can take more than one meaning.

it's a someone saying "something grew exponentially" and then me saying "no not true, because it cant be represented by the family of exponential curves". well yeah that's true in math, doesn't mean the word exponential can't have more than one meaning. the same way phobia/phobic is used differently in everyday lingo than it is in biology than it is in psychology etc.

What you've essentially done is taken am argument in which you know what the term means in context and have shifted the argument by talking about something else, which has no relevance to the original point, but still without making a statement discussing the intended !

Latest

Trending

Trending