The Student Room Group

A-levels are not working out

i am about 5 months out from finishing my a levels, however all i think about is dropping out. i don't feel as thought i took them seriously enough in year 12 and have ran into health complications in year 13 which has lead to me having a large amount of time off school. the school hasn't been very understanding of the health side of it and has lead to me putting enormous amounts of pressure on myself and increased anxiety. i am considering dropping out and starting a course in September which is more directed at what id like to do in later life and also wouldn't be as full on. but i just keep getting told that iv wasted nearly 2 years. which i understand but i feel like if i continue i'm only going to waste even more time as i know my lack of attendance will lead to me having rubbish grades. just looking for outside advice.
Reply 1
Complete them. Then look at an apprenticeship or getting a degree, depending on what you do. Consider taking a gap year to rest and rejuvinate - but that doesn't mean you waste an entire year - do some part time work or professional development courses.
Original post by brockhill
i am about 5 months out from finishing my a levels, however all i think about is dropping out. i don't feel as thought i took them seriously enough in year 12 and have ran into health complications in year 13 which has lead to me having a large amount of time off school. the school hasn't been very understanding of the health side of it and has lead to me putting enormous amounts of pressure on myself and increased anxiety. i am considering dropping out and starting a course in September which is more directed at what id like to do in later life and also wouldn't be as full on. but i just keep getting told that iv wasted nearly 2 years. which i understand but i feel like if i continue i'm only going to waste even more time as i know my lack of attendance will lead to me having rubbish grades. just looking for outside advice.

what A levels are you taking?
Reply 3
Original post by ibby68
what A levels are you taking?

Business, psychology and sociology
Original post by brockhill
Business, psychology and sociology

this is gonna sound unconventional but maybe try to focus more on one or 2 specific A levels and almosst ignore the other one so you at least get some A levels. then you can take a Vocational course next year to fulfil the ucas points needed for uni. I do business as well and its really easy tbh, maybe try get a C at least in that and sociology. Psychology ik has a lot in it, and is hard to learn in 5 months if your not confident in it.
I’m sorry you’re going through this OP. I was sick during sixth form as well. It affected my attendance and sometimes I couldn’t walk without a cane or write. At one point, there was a big question mark over whether or not I would complete my A Levels in Year 13, but I decided to stick them out because I wanted to go to uni and I had already been toughing out my illness for so long. My school was very supportive of my decision though, and helped me as much as they could.

I second the above poster’s advice, since you do want to come out of these past two years with something to show for it

Quick Reply

Latest