The Student Room Group

Best websites for finding a tutor

With many doing or finishing their mocks, I expect that a fair number of students will start looking for a tutor. A few days back I mentioned a company that I don't feel offers the best option, so I thought I'd now add a more constructive post.

Obviously, due to the rules I can't name any specific sites. However here's one suggestion that should save you money, and get you access to better tutors, regardless of whether you want online tutoring, the tutor to come to you, or you are prepared to travel to them.

You will come across two sorts of systems. One expects you to simply pay a relatively modest introduction fee. Then the company steps back completely and all other arrangements and payments are between you and the tutor. The other system is that there is no introduction fee, but you book and pay for every lesson through the company.

Some people are strongly attracted by the second scenario, but the truth is that you will ultimately pay a lot more, if you are a serious student that stays with one tutor. You see when you pay the company they take a fairly hefty commission on every lesson. So tutors will charge substantially more to make up for this. But, what may be even more important to you is the fact that many qualified and experienced teachers who tutor are not prepared to either be ripped off themselves, or see their students ripped off, so they give such companies a very wide berth. This isn't just my conjecture, I've heard plenty of tutors say this.

So, if you are looking for a tutor try to find one of those sites that charges a one off introduction fee and then steps back. You will stand a better chance of getting a good tutor and pay a lot less in the long run.
This is true... however people still need to be careful when looking at tutors reviews as some sites allow tutors to delete/hide negative reviews.
Original post by _Mia101
This is true... however people still need to be careful when looking at tutors reviews as some sites allow tutors to delete/hide negative reviews.

Absolutely true. In fact the value of many of the reviews one can see is very suspect. A good number are written by friends and relatives. You will see some that display virtually wording and poor English, or even appear on more than one website. Also, one shouldn't forget that many are solicited from the student while (s)he is still being tutored. This is highly unethical, and something a good (person) tutor would never do.

Another thing to be very wary of, as I've said before, is any STEM tutor under about 35 who claims to have a top degree from one of the best universities. Ask yourself, why would such a person be tutoring rather than in a high paid, interesting, and demanding job. The website may have been given copies of certificates, but a quick google will show that there is a thriving trade in forged qualifications.

The tutoring world in the UK is like the Wild West, with no shortage of snake oil salesmen.

Quick Reply

Latest