The Student Room Group

Imperial vs Manchester vs Bristol vs Birmingham vs Nottingham

Good afternoon,
I am a portuguese student and I have applied to all these unis to study Computer Science. University of Bristol and Imperial do not offer the opportunity to have a placement year, something that I would like to ear your opinion about. In adittion to this, I would like to ear your opinions about these unis and their respective cities, lifestyles and job prospects (mainly in the UK and other similar countries like USA, Australia and Canada). Thank you in advance.
PS.: I already have offers from Birmingham and Nottingham.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by NunoAlberto
Good afternoon,
I am a portuguese student and I have applied to all these unis to study Computer Science. University of Bristol and Imperial do not offer the opportunity to have a placement year, something that I would like to ear your opinion about. In adittion to this, I would like to ear your opinions about these unis and their respective cities, lifestyles and job prospects (mainly in the UK and other similar countries like USA, Australia and Canada). Thank you in advance.

for my perspective imperial seems to be the best as they are one of the best schools in the world and their employment rate is astounding. the only problem is that their students satisfaction rate is quite low whereas a place like Bristol really works to accommodate their students . i would choose between Bristol and imperial and pick imperial as its just such a good school and that would be too amazing of an opportunity to pass up.
Reply 2
Original post by y.oooo
for my perspective imperial seems to be the best as they are one of the best schools in the world and their employment rate is astounding. the only problem is that their students satisfaction rate is quite low whereas a place like Bristol really works to accommodate their students . i would choose between Bristol and imperial and pick imperial as its just such a good school and that would be too amazing of an opportunity to pass up.

Thank you! Imagine the following picture: to get into Imperial I have to get 20 out of 20 in the Maths National Exam, to get into Bristol 19 out of 20, to get into Manchester 18 out of 20, Birmingham 17 out of 20 and, finally, to get into Nottingham 10 out of 20. Would you still choose Imperial over Bristol and Manchester, and even Birmingham? I think that Nottingham is a really good uni for insurance, right?
Reply 3
In the MEng computing course at Imperial you do an industrial placement in third and fourth years. It's not for the full year but it's there.

Original post by y.oooo

Actually Imperial's student satisfaction score for computing is higher than Bristol's.
Reply 4
Original post by Sinnoh
In the MEng computing course at Imperial you do an industrial placement in third and fourth years. It's not for the full year but it's there.

Actually Imperial's student satisfaction score for computing is higher than Bristol's.

I applied to the BEng course. Can you reply to my answer please? It would be really helpful
Reply 5
I applied to the BEng course. Can you reply to my answer please? It would be really helpful

You can switch courses if you want.

I can't really say which one I would pick because a) I didn't apply for computing and b) I'm already at Imperial and I don't really know how other unis do my course, let alone a different one. However I think Imperial will have the higher workload.
You should pick the uni that you like the most, regardless of the offer. Nottingham's a good university I agree.

Imperial's location could make it easier for you to get internships and jobs, but housing in London is very expensive. Nonetheless it generally has better graduate prospects- the average graduate salary for computing at Imperial is unusually high.
Reply 6
Thank you! Imagine the following picture: to get into Imperial I have to get 20 out of 20 in the Maths National Exam, to get into Bristol 19 out of 20, to get into Manchester 18 out of 20, Birmingham 17 out of 20 and, finally, to get into Nottingham 10 out of 20. Would you still choose Imperial over Bristol and Manchester, and even Birmingham? I think that Nottingham is a really good uni for insurance, right?

yh i think that i would definitely firm imperial and insurance nottingham as it seems like a really good insurance so if god forbid u mess u still have a good uni to go to .
All these universities are good. Though if I were forced to put them in order I'd put Imperial College first and probably Manchester second. After that I wouldn't like to say.

Your other main consideration is the cost of living. Do be aware that London is the rip-off capitol of the world, so living here will be substantially more expensive than in any of the other cities.
Reply 8
Original post by y.oooo
yh i think that i would definitely firm imperial and insurance nottingham as it seems like a really good insurance so if god forbid u mess u still have a good uni to go to .

Do you think that I should pick Imperial as firm instead of Manchester, Bristol and Birmingham? I know that it is better, but taking into account the grade that I need to achieve in the maths national exam, is it worthy? Get 20 out of 20 is almost impossible, while 18 out of 20 is likely to occur. I am struggling because throwing Manchester’s offer, and Bristol’s, and even Birmingham’s, to the “garbage” to firm an almost impossible one is something that I am not confortable yet. I would like to ear you. Do you think that the risk involved in that decision is worthy?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by David Getling
All these universities are good. Though if I were forced to put them in order I'd put Imperial College first and probably Manchester second. After that I wouldn't like to say.

Your other main consideration is the cost of living. Do be aware that London is the rip-off capitol of the world, so living here will be substantially more expensive than in any of the other cities.

I would like to ear you replying to my last question sent to “y.oooo”. Thank you for your answer
Original post by y.oooo

Please answer me the last question I made. It would be so helpful. Thanks
Original post by David Getling

Please answer me the last question I made. It would be so helpful. Thanks
Do you think that I should pick Imperial as firm instead of Manchester, Bristol and Birmingham? I know that it is better, but taking into account the grade that I need to achieve in the maths national exam, is it worthy? Get 20 out of 20 is almost impossible, while 18 out of 20 is likely to occur. I am struggling because throwing Manchester’s offer, and Bristol’s, and even Birmingham’s, to the “garbage” to firm an almost impossible one is something that I am not confortable yet. I would like to ear you. Do you think that the risk involved in that decision is worthy?

I'm not a computer science student but I'm in a similarish situation for maths. I decided by how confident I feel in the exams e.g I'm fairly certain I could get an A* in further maths so I'll insure imperial. So I'd recommend you practice a lot of your exams and try get a feel for what sort of score you'd get before picking - I think the deadline for replying is somewhere in May but I'm not sure if it's the same for international students. Would 18/20 get you into Nottingham? If so, you're essentially guaranteeing going there at least while still having a shot at imperial.
Original post by icemaster523
I'm not a computer science student but I'm in a similarish situation for maths. I decided by how confident I feel in the exams e.g I'm fairly certain I could get an A* in further maths so I'll insure imperial. So I'd recommend you practice a lot of your exams and try get a feel for what sort of score you'd get before picking - I think the deadline for replying is somewhere in May but I'm not sure if it's the same for international students. Would 18/20 get you into Nottingham? If so, you're essentially guaranteeing going there at least while still having a shot at imperial.

Thank you so much, your answer was really helpful. I will do that, I will do some exams from last years and try to make a rational prediction based on these. I only need to get 10 out of 20 (in other words, pass the exam) to get into Nottingham. I am pretty confident in my decision of select Nottingham as my insurance. It is a really good university, right? Is it respected among employers, both in the UK and internationally?
I will do a summary:
Imperial - 20 out of 20 in Maths exam
Bristol - 19 "
Manchester - 18 "
Birmingham - 17 "
Nottingham - 10 "
What would be your picks to firm and insurance?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
Good afternoon,

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/computer-science
Thank you so much, your answer was really helpful. I will do that, I will do some exams from last years and try to make a rational prediction based on these. I only need to get 10 out of 20 (in other words, pass the exam) to get into Nottingham. I am pretty confident in my decision of select Nottingham as my insurance. It is a really good university, right? Is it respected among employers, both in the UK and internationally?
I will do a summary:
Imperial - 20 out of 20 in Maths exam
Bristol - 19 "
Manchester - 18 "
Birmingham - 17 "
Nottingham - 10 "
What would be your picks to firm and insurance?

You're welcome :smile:. I've heard Nottingham is good; one of my friends is applying there for Chemical Engineering (which it has a very good reputation for) but I don't really know much else about it. You'd probably be best looking at rankings (national and international probably) or asking people on TSR who go to Nottingham.

I'm not too sure which to firm/insurance out of those for you (I'm guessing you're asking for this, not my firm/insurance) as I don't really know what it takes to get 20/20 on your exams and the only universities I applied to of those are Imperial and Manchester - don't know much about the others. I know Imperial computer science is really well regarded with some people choosing to go their over Cambridge CS but not much about Manchester - I only really know about Maths and Physics there.
Original post by Sinnoh

Don't Bristol also have the highest suicide rate at their university? There is a whole BBC documentary on it...
Original post by icemaster523
You're welcome :smile:. I've heard Nottingham is good; one of my friends is applying there for Chemical Engineering (which it has a very good reputation for) but I don't really know much else about it. You'd probably be best looking at rankings (national and international probably) or asking people on TSR who go to Nottingham.

I'm not too sure which to firm/insurance out of those for you (I'm guessing you're asking for this, not my firm/insurance) as I don't really know what it takes to get 20/20 on your exams and the only universities I applied to of those are Imperial and Manchester - don't know much about the others. I know Imperial computer science is really well regarded with some people choosing to go their over Cambridge CS but not much about Manchester - I only really know about Maths and Physics there.

Thank you once again! You choose an insurance that still envolves some risk or that is really safe? I am pretty sure that I can get at least 17 in the exam, but there is always the risk of not achieving it. Can you give me some advise on this?
Original post by nathan.boachie
Don't Bristol also have the highest suicide rate at their university? There is a whole BBC documentary on it...

Really? Can you tell me why? I have never heard that.
Thank you once again! You choose an insurance that still envolves some risk or that is really safe? I am pretty sure that I can get at least 17 in the exam, but there is always the risk of not achieving it. Can you give me some advise on this?

I picked my insurance to be one which I would prefer to go to most after my firm and has requirements which feel achievable. I think I would take the risk but that depends on you as a person I guess? My insurance is the 2nd highest offer I have but I think I'd be able to achieve it with enough work. Do you have your offers yet? It might be easier to choose once you've heard back from all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending