How to stop an obsession

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Think I am obsessed with someone, I don't know how to stop.

If you have been in my situation before, how did you stop being so (romantically or otherwise) obsessed about him/her?
prysed
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Easy, I got to know them. The illusion of perfection vanishes pretty quick when you realise they are like everyone else, with their own flaws.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by prysed)
Easy, I got to know them. The illusion of perfection vanishes pretty quick when you realise they are like everyone else, with their own flaws.
I don't mind flaws and even if they are flawed, it won't detract from their overall appeal unless they are a horrible person or something.

I just wish there was a quicker way, easier one.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
i agree with whoever commented up there. try to get to know them, even if you still like them after that the liking will become more real and less airy fairy in your head or idolised.
id say dont stalk their socials because it's gonna make you romanticise them more since theyre only putting up what they want people to see. especially on instagram. twitter's a little bit better of a social to stalk if you must cuz you can get a general feel for their opinions and whatnot.
but yeah id say either just get to know them, be friends, and go from there, or try to focus on something else and distract yourself until you eventually forget. personally i do this with music or art or watching movies or hanging out with friends.
i know youre asking for something fast but this is more of a retraining of your mind to appreciate other things and not be fixated on one subject which is gonna take a little time and a lot of effort, but each day it'll become easier the more you implement healthy practices.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (121)
15.69%
Uncertainty around my education (125)
16.21%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (72)
9.34%
Isolating with family (51)
6.61%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (30)
3.89%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (66)
8.56%
Loneliness (81)
10.51%
Financial worries (32)
4.15%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (70)
9.08%
Exposure to negative news/social media (50)
6.49%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (73)
9.47%

Watched Threads