The Student Room Group

Which university do you recommend

I'd like to study veterinary medicine in the UK. I wonder the most about University of Edniburgh, Glasgow, Liverpool and Royal Veterinary College. I ask everyone who study there on any course or have some knowledge about the university, how's level of education, maintenance costs, scholarships, formalities, half-time work ... Thanks in advance :smile:
EDIT: I'd apply in 2022.
(edited 4 years ago)
Not at student at any but RVC living costs will be higher while in London for years 1 & 2 but Potters Bar for the other 3 years seems more reasonable. Edinburgh is also an expensive city.
The education will be excellent at all of them.
I have no idea on funding - are you in the EU as that makes a big difference. Do you mean holiday work? With all UK courses you will need to be spreading 38 weeks of EMS throughout your holidays so there will be loess time to earn money around that.
Student at Liverpool - Obviously going to tell you Liverpool is the best
Have no idea about international fee's but all undergrad degree courses for UK students are £9,250 standard with some reduced if you're lucky enough to be from Scotland.

Would say standard of education is realistically going to be the same at all of them - they release world rankings every year and currently RVC is 1 (you wouldn't know it from the giant purple numbers they've bought...) but this changes yearly and all UK universities except Surrey and Harper Keele are up there (neither were accredited at time of the last ranking)

Again I don't know how international student finance loans work
You would absolutely be able to get a part time job - a lot of students will tell you this is impossible but I would question their working style if they have no time to earn on the side.
Reply 3
Original post by ReadingMum
Not at student at any but RVC living costs will be higher while in London for years 1 & 2 but Potters Bar for the other 3 years seems more reasonable. Edinburgh is also an expensive city.
The education will be excellent at all of them.
I have no idea on funding - are you in the EU as that makes a big difference. Do you mean holiday work? With all UK courses you will need to be spreading 38 weeks of EMS throughout your holidays so there will be loess time to earn money around that.

Yes, I'm from EU, specifically from Poland. I read a lot about SAAS, student loan, and I'm confused about extremely different opinions. How does it work in reality, funding amount, repayment etc...? I had in mind mainly working and studying at the same time, but information about holiday work is also interesting.
Original post by Camargue 18
I'd like to study veterinary medicine in the UK. I wonder the most about University of Edniburgh, Glasgow, Liverpool and Royal Veterinary College. I ask everyone who study there on any course or have some knowledge about the university, how's level of education, maintenance costs, scholarships, formalities, half-time work ... Thanks in advance :smile:

No idea about the courses specifically. But RVC is supposed to be as good as it gets (from a non-Vet, just my perception). Not sure if this is still the case but at one point it was the #1 ranked Vet uni in the world on QS.

Maintenance costs wise, id say liverpool or Glasgow would be cheapest, RVC probably most expensive given the first half of the course is taught in central London.
Yes, I'm from EU, specifically from Poland. I read a lot about SAAS, student loan, and I'm confused about extremely different opinions. How does it work in reality, funding amount, repayment etc...? I had in mind mainly working and studying at the same time, but information about holiday work is also interesting.

I know some people do manage to fit in a bit of part time working but it is a pretty full on 9-5 (except Wednesday afternoons) 5 days a week course so you won't have a huge opportunity to work alongside if you want to keep up with assignments as well.
There is a student finance section on TSR which may have more info. I believe it is cheaper for EU student to study in Scotland compared to England but I am no expert as it does not relate to me.

Presuming the rules don't change post Brexit your best places to study would be Edinburgh or Glasgow as you won't have any tuition fees to pay (Scottish and EU students are free).
Original post by mnot
No idea about the courses specifically. But RVC is supposed to be as good as it gets (from a non-Vet, just my perception). Not sure if this is still the case but at one point it was the #1 ranked Vet uni in the world on QS.

Maintenance costs wise, id say liverpool or Glasgow would be cheapest, RVC probably most expensive given the first half of the course is taught in central London.

For vet med the only rankings worth looking at are the student satisfaction ones. All the courses qualify you as a vet, a lot of the rankings are based on research etc which as a student is irrelevant.
Reply 8
Original post by TheWannabeFarmer
Student at Liverpool - Obviously going to tell you Liverpool is the best
Have no idea about international fee's but all undergrad degree courses for UK students are £9,250 standard with some reduced if you're lucky enough to be from Scotland.

Would say standard of education is realistically going to be the same at all of them - they release world rankings every year and currently RVC is 1 (you wouldn't know it from the giant purple numbers they've bought...) but this changes yearly and all UK universities except Surrey and Harper Keele are up there (neither were accredited at time of the last ranking)

Again I don't know how international student finance loans work
You would absolutely be able to get a part time job - a lot of students will tell you this is impossible but I would question their working style if they have no time to earn on the side.

I know some people do manage to fit in a bit of part time working but it is a pretty full on 9-5 (except Wednesday afternoons) 5 days a week course so you won't have a huge opportunity to work alongside if you want to keep up with assignments as well.
There is a student finance section on TSR which may have more info. I believe it is cheaper for EU student to study in Scotland compared to England but I am no expert as it does not relate to me.

Ok, thank you very much :smile:

Hi there!

Have you considered the Harper Keele Vet School? It’s a new school opening for the 2020 intake! Some people still don’t know about it so I just thought i’d drop it in for you to consider! :smile:
Hi, I didn't know about it, I'll definitely check. Thank you :3 If I'll have any questions, can I write to you?
Original post by animalmagic
Presuming the rules don't change post Brexit your best places to study would be Edinburgh or Glasgow as you won't have any tuition fees to pay (Scottish and EU students are free).

Really? How does it works? Is the dormitory also free? However, I heard Glasgow and Edinburgh are quite expensive cities. I'm afraid that part time job won't be enough for life, presuming keeping up with assignments well...
(edited 4 years ago)
you would have to pay for accomodation/food/living expenses but EU students at Scottish universities currently pay no fees - English students at Scottish universities pay £9,250 per year. What is unclear is what will happen after brexit so no fees for EU students is only currently guaranteed for courses starting in 2020.
you would have to pay for accomodation/food/living expenses but EU students at Scottish universities currently pay no fees - English students at Scottish universities pay £9,250 per year. What is unclear is what will happen after brexit so no fees for EU students is only currently guaranteed for courses starting in 2020.

Hmm...However, If studying was free for EU students, what would be the reason for existing SAAS? Don't get me wrong, I think you had in mind that they pay tuition fees for us, but it's still a loan and we'll have to pay it off in the future. From what I read, in England is similar.
In England you borrow both fees and a maintenance loan and pay both back. In Scotland if you are Scottish or EU then the fees are zero but you still borrow for maintenance (living expenses)
Hmm...However, If studying was free for EU students, what would be the reason for existing SAAS? Don't get me wrong, I think you had in mind that they pay tuition fees for us, but it's still a loan and we'll have to pay it off in the future. From what I read, in England is similar.

In Scotland for Scottish and EU students SAAS pays the tuition fees and you don't have to repay them.

Not only is it full time in term time but you will be on placements during the holidays often unpaid so working is not really an option for veterinary students.
Original post by animalmagic
In Scotland for Scottish and EU students SAAS pays the tuition fees and you don't have to repay them.

Ok, that's very good news for me, thanks a lot :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending