The Student Room Group

I’ve been to prison AMA

I’m doing this AMA as I mentioned I had spent 4 months in a young offenders institute when I was 16 (could have been 17 cant remember exactly). This is going back over ten years mind you but I had numerous people PMing me with questions so thought I’d do one of these threads. You will probably be disappointed tbh it wasn’t entirely eventful but ask away.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThuggerThugger
I’m doing this AMA as I mentioned I had spent 4 months in a young offenders institute when I was 16 (could have been 17 cant remember exactly). This is going back over ten years mind you but I had numerous people PMing me with questions so thought I’d do one of these threads. You will probably be disappointed tbh it wasn’t entirely eventful but ask away.

Ok. So what did you do and do you regret it.

My taxes have paid to keep you incarcerated.... which annoys me immensely. Also you are a youngster and you have potentially biffed up your life unless you get on the straight and narrow.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Ok. So what did you do and do you regret it.

My taxes have paid to keep you incarcerated.... which annoys me immensely. Also you are a youngster and you have potentially biffed up your life unless you get on the straight and narrow.

I doubt ten years ago you were working, there are many people in prison for various reasons a lot of them are victims of circumstances they were born into, admittedly I am not one of those people, my parents were pretty strict and I lived fairly comfortable. I took part in a burglary, which got me 9 months but I served just over 4, Whilst I didn’t go in to the actual house, I was the lookout so got sentenced like the others.

Since then I’ve focused on education and have a professional job.. haven’t had any dealings with police since then apart from maybe giving a witness statement.
What is the biscuit selection like? :holmes:
I doubt ten years ago you were working, there are many people in prison for various reasons a lot of them are victims of circumstances they were born into, admittedly I am not one of those people, my parents were pretty strict and I lived fairly comfortable. I took part in a burglary, which got me 9 months but I served just over 4, Whilst I didn’t go in to the actual house, I was the lookout so got sentenced like the others.

Since then I’ve focused on education and have a professional job.. haven’t had any dealings with police since then apart from maybe giving a witness statement.

I am close to retirement so I was working 10 years ago. We all make one mistake as you have done and you seem to have turned your life around. I commend you for that.
Original post by 04MR17
What is the biscuit selection like? :holmes:

My parents didn’t put money into my account so I couldn’t buy anything from the little shop in there.. it was all overpriced tbh but the selection was quite wide.
Reply 6
im so proud of you for getting yourself out of such a situation and bouncing back. i guess the q i have is how easy was it to get back into society after prison? does it severly affect your options like people say it does?
again super proud of you x

What did you do?
Original post by Grapple
im so proud of you for getting yourself out of such a situation and bouncing back. i guess the q i have is how easy was it to get back into society after prison? does it severly affect your options like people say it does?
again super proud of you x

Thanks!

The hardest thing about getting out is the fact you actually get used to not being a part of society. I’ll be honest with you, I suffered with anxiety when I got out, barely left my house or spoke to people. The strangest thing I used to do was sleep with the radio on, I hated how quiet it was at night it made me feel so nervous. In prison there is constant noise throughout the night and after awhile it’s comforting so to come out and be in bed and not hearing a sound used to give me panic attacks.

It does ruin your life, the amount of jobs I went for and got turned down was huge, its only now later down the line where its not been a problem. I can honestly see why a lot of people go to prison then keep going back, I know of 3 people who was in young offenders the same time I was who have been in and out of adult prison since leaving young offenders.
How did you get a job or do anything with a criminal record
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
If you hadn’t got caught how do you think things would have turned out?
Domestic burglary was the actual charge I believe
Original post by Em.-.
If you hadn’t got caught how do you think things would have turned out?

I would be likely still be doing stupid crap in all honesty, deep down I feel like if I got away once and then kept getting away I would probably be a veteran criminal by now.. the reason I changed was because prison was awful I can’t even put it into words how bad it is, I would never want to do it again. And keep in mind this was a young offenders not even full blown prison, so if young offenders is this bad I dread to thing what adult prison is like.
Reply 13
I would be likely still be doing stupid crap in all honesty, deep down I feel like if I got away once and then kept getting away I would probably be a veteran criminal by now.. the reason I changed was because prison was awful I can’t even put it into words how bad it is, I would never want to do it again. And keep in mind this was a young offenders not even full blown prison, so if young offenders is this bad I dread to thing what adult prison is like.

You say you changed due to how awful prison was so I take it you’d say it is an effective deterrent? What do you think about making prisons softer and focusing more on “rehabilitation” than punishment? I personally worry if it becomes too soft some people in bad situations may desire to go to prison which means it could act as the opposite of a deterrent.

Did you find the loss of freedom or being around other criminals who had committed more serious offences to be more challenging?
Original post by Em.-.
You say you changed due to how awful prison was so I take it you’d say it is an effective deterrent? What do you think about making prisons softer and focusing more on “rehabilitation” than punishment? I personally worry if it becomes too soft some people in bad situations may desire to go to prison which means it could act as the opposite of a deterrent.

Did you find the loss of freedom or being around other criminals who had committed more serious offences to be more challenging?

Prison worked for me for the simple fact I’m not the toughest guy.. there are people under 18 in prison that are absolute savages, the things they’ve done is crazy and if you dont do what they say you’re as good as dead. The isolation is not the real punishment, (although awful) the punishment is having 4 guys beat you up because you looked at them in a way they dont like, or getting your phone credit taken from you buy tougher inmates.. what I described happened to me and many others, no one is going to jump in and save you, you’re thrown to the wolves. So if you really are not tough don’t go to prison because no matter how tough you think you are I am certain you will meet someone tougher who won’t hesitate to cut you or throw detergent in your face... the list goes on.
Was your time inspiration for your username ?
Original post by NotNotBatman
Was your time inspiration for your username ?

Lol, no its a name of a rapper, tbh all the names I tried were taken so just typed in the first thing that came to mind.
Lol, no its a name of a rapper, tbh all the names I tried were taken so just typed in the first thing that came to mind.

young thug? that's what I got when I googled it. didn't know he went by that
How did you get sentenced? Did you plea guilty or did someone dob you in? Or were you caught?
Original post by abcthe123
How did you get sentenced? Did you plea guilty or did someone dob you in? Or were you caught?

One of my “friends” was caught by finger prints and he gave every name and all the details. I pleaded guilty to it, there was no point denying it. The person who told the entire tale thought he would avoid prison if he told the police everything but instead got 15 months lol.. and because he was older he actually did only 3 months in youth prison and then was shipped to an adult prison, after his birthday.

Quick Reply

Latest