The Student Room Group

its absolutely crazy that employers think you come to work for anything other than £

Was at a job interview and they asked why I want the job... isn’t it obvious that I need the money? I obviously wouldn’t be at the interview if it was to work for free. I wanted to say “We live in a society where money is the difference between life and death so we need to work”.
Some people actually work because they get job satisfaction
Job satisfaction? I thought that was just a myth!
Original post by PhonyBeatlemania
Job satisfaction? I thought that was just a myth!

loads of people like their jobs, why would it be a myth?
Original post by ThuggerThugger
Was at a job interview and they asked why I want the job... isn’t it obvious that I need the money? I obviously wouldn’t be at the interview if it was to work for free. I wanted to say “We live in a society where money is the difference between life and death so we need to work”.

Some people do it for the "experience", to help others or because they will enjoy the job etc
Reply 5

That's a pretty standard interview question, it's a polite way of asking 'why do you think you are special enough to do this job'. The right way to answer it is to set out what you can do for them (not what you want them to do for you).
Original post by black tea
loads of people like their jobs, why would it be a myth?

Evidently it’s really hard to convey humour through text. Sorry?
Some people have a passion or a calling, but if you are applying to stack shelves or fold clothes somewhere I can understand your point.
Original post by black tea
Some people actually work because they get job satisfaction

Don’t make me laugh mate.. all these people who say they love their jobs etc would not do it unless they got paid, its not like they would do it for free or if they won the Euro millions. The core reason is money, they may dress it up and fool themselves there are other reasons but sit me down with anyone who thinks they love their job and I will pick apart why this is not true.

Just to add Im strictly talking white collar slaves which 90% of the working population are, e.g office workers.
(edited 4 years ago)
Don’t make me laugh mate.. all these people who say they love their jobs etc would not do it unless they got paid, its not like they would do it for free or if they won the Euro millions. The core reason is money, they may dress it up and fool themselves there are other reasons but sit me down with anyone who thinks they love their job and I will pick apart why this is not true.

Just to add Im strictly talking white collar slaves which 90% of the working population are, e.g office workers.

I volunteer for free, for no reason other than I enjoy it. If I won the lottery, I would do more of it, not less. Some people feel the same about their job.
I would wonder how the enthusiasm would drop if they worked for free

Despite the importance of job satisfaction, enough money for the job you are doing is extremely important especially in the way society revolves around money.

Well MANY other people apply for the job..they are thinking (and asking) what makes you SO special from the rest of them?

Saying from *ahem* work experiences, a lot of people don't actually learn from their mistakes whilst being in the job...EVEN after getting trained.
Have you heard the phrase, 'you just can't get the staff these days'?
Yeah, obviously if we're talking about stacking shelves at Tesco that question is redundant and you've got a point.

That being said there are dozens of jobs out there that people are interested in regardless of being paid. It could be their ability to help others, gain satisfaction, develop experiences and so much more.

It depends really. If you work in your dream job like being a doctor at a hospital or a scientist in a lab then money is not the only motivating factor, you also get self gratification and are stimulated by your working field.

On the other hand if you are working as a sales assistant at Matalan or at Primark and it isn’t your dream job then money is the only motivating factor.
I don't think OP is entirely wrong. I'd say most people are motivated by money once they get passed a point in their careers (e.g. not being a graduate looking for your first job with sincere optimism). The sad truth is that there often comes a point at work where you feel you can barely make positive contributions due to systematic barriers. Yes it sucks.
(edited 4 years ago)

I love my job as a "white collar" office worker. Being paid is certainly a benefit but I do this specific job because it has a positive effect on the state of the NHS which works to benefit everyone in the UK. I would continue to do this job as a millionaire because it gives my life purpose, although I would probably reduce my hours.

I could very easily get a job working in one of the big corporate property firms such as C&W or CBRE for far more money but then I would just be making millions for millionaires which only benefits the top 0.01%.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending