The Student Room Group

Is Glasgow a horrible city

Glasgow is definitely HELL i travel a lot to different continents and every time I am back in Glasgow i cannot believe how much rubbish and fly-tipping there is all over the place say
s a lot about people who live here

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Which part of GLW you talking about!! I Love GLW 🙁
Glasgow is no different to any other city in the uk.
It has it's good and bad places.
Meh, I love Glasgow, but I'd be lying if I said a lot of things like rubbish, roads and greenspaces haven't went right downhill over the last decade. I used to work for a landcaping firm that took on a lot of the community cleanup work the council wouldn't do, but the funding for that got yoinked years ago with nothing to replace it.

A lot of areas were being regenerated for the commonwealth games a few year back, but rather cynically the work stopped the day the games did, there's STILL half done building building sites left from it.
Original post by grKiro
Which part of GLW you talking about!! I Love GLW 🙁

of course the city centre is kept reasonably clean so the tourists are not too appalled but just take a bus somewhere outside the perimeter, say Springurn, castlemilk, dennistoun, scotstoun (I have lived in all these postcodes), and the amount of fly-tipped rubbish, is shocking, now the bushes and hedges arent blooming you can see the litter that is normally covered. same at / outside train stations in and around the railway tracks.
Original post by trickoflight666
of course the city centre is kept reasonably clean so the tourists are not too appalled but just take a bus somewhere outside the perimeter, say Springurn, castlemilk, dennistoun, scotstoun (I have lived in all these postcodes), and the amount of fly-tipped rubbish, is shocking, now the bushes and hedges arent blooming you can see the litter that is normally covered. same at / outside train stations in and around the railway tracks.

TBH those 4 areas have always been total toilets, even back 20-30 years, The first 2 in particular are where the council and housing associations deport people to (often with hilarious lies about it being temporary)

Dennisoun & Scotsoun DO have their nicer bits, but nah, mostly horrible.

Plenty of bits that aren't gross though, looking out my 3rd floor window in the southside i cant see a drop of litter.
yeah i've lived in glasgow for a few years mostly for uni but sadly all i have felt about the place that it is quite miserable looking tbh. the green bits are pleasant but far from the centre (even glasgow green is a bit of a walk). It would be amazing to see the whole George square turned into a park, because its too much concrete and dull damp buildings.
yeah i've lived in glasgow for a few years mostly for uni but sadly all i have felt about the place that it is quite miserable looking tbh. the green bits are pleasant but far from the centre (even glasgow green is a bit of a walk). It would be amazing to see the whole George square turned into a park, because its too much concrete and dull damp buildings.

It's like you make a point of picking the crappest bits though :tongue: Glasgow Green is a total state (Used to work there too :biggrin: ) , the surrounding residential areas, Calton, Brigeton ect, also horror. Kings & Queens park out by me? far nicer, if still rough around the edges.

The trouble is George Square used to be really nice, lots of greenery, healthy trees, very little hard surfaces, plenty of space for lots of people. But they've chipped away at it and chipped away, so its now like 4 little sad patches of barren grass and just cheap paving as far as the eye can see. At this point the council just makes far too much money renting the space out for events to let it go 'public' again. They had a design contest to revamp it all maybe 5-7 years back? Most of the designs looked awe inspiring...but obviously by people who had either never been to the city, or just failed to account for the fact people need to actually use it.
Original post by StriderHort
It's like you make a point of picking the crappest bits though :tongue: Glasgow Green is a total state (Used to work there too :biggrin: ) , the surrounding residential areas, Calton, Brigeton ect, also horror. Kings & Queens park out by me? far nicer, if still rough around the edges.

The trouble is George Square used to be really nice, lots of greenery, healthy trees, very little hard surfaces, plenty of space for lots of people. But they've chipped away at it and chipped away, so its now like 4 little sad patches of barren grass and just cheap paving as far as the eye can see. At this point the council just makes far too much money renting the space out for events to let it go 'public' again. They had a design contest to revamp it all maybe 5-7 years back? Most of the designs looked awe inspiring...but obviously by people who had either never been to the city, or just failed to account for the fact people need to actually use it.

Mental health can be negatively affected by those crap bits if you accumulate them and experience them within one city. it's not something people think about on a every day basis i guess, but it is difficult to enjoy and feel happy if you surrounded by litter, empty old buildings and grayness. not to mention the weather. i think nobody deserves this.
Mental health can be negatively affected by those crap bits if you accumulate them and experience them within one city. it's not something people think about on a every day basis i guess, but it is difficult to enjoy and feel happy if you surrounded by litter, empty old buildings and grayness. not to mention the weather. i think nobody deserves this.

Oh I basically agree in terms of environment based health. I more mean that you've only mentioned bad areas, there's plenty of nicer areas of the city where litter/vacancy ect isn't really an issue.
Glasgow east side is the worst place for anything especially the surroundings of London road, and forge shopping centre, - its a tip, a heaven for drug dealers,gangsters, people getting beaten up or worse. There's not a day goes by that there's something bad happenening within the east side of glasgow like. Its one part of the city I hated when I was younger.

Someone mentioned Queen's Park area - well this supposed to be one of the so called snob area but have a look round the Mount Florida area of it especially when big football matches are on. I'm a south side of glasgow person born and breed and I think thongs can be better if the UK government don't keep slashing the budget that Scotland gets allocated and pump it into communities as good well maintained open spaces are good for your mental health as supposed to be relaxing and calm for those affected like.

Not taking away that other parts of the city are just as for rubbish and fly tipping, rundown housing, roads are a mess, pavements covered in poo, etc.
You need to live in glasgow to experience what's life is like in most of those area's, yep majority of all other cities throughout UK aren't much better.
Money is spent within the Mason city centre area for tourists and alike.
Original post by Tracey1995
Glasgow east side is the worst place for anything especially the surroundings of London road, and forge shopping centre, - its a tip, a heaven for drug dealers,gangsters, people getting beaten up or worse. There's not a day goes by that there's something bad happenening within the east side of glasgow like. Its one part of the city I hated when I was younger.

Someone mentioned Queen's Park area - well this supposed to be one of the so called snob area but have a look round the Mount Florida area of it especially when big football matches are on.

east side of anywhere tends to suck :P

When I mentioned Queens Park I more meant the literal park (compared to the Green) but to an extent, yeah their adjacent areas. Mt Florida, Vic Road and Pollockshaws Rd do have their mess issues, but IMO i'd take them in a second over Calton, London Rd and Gorbals (barring some of the new bits)
east side of anywhere tends to suck :P

When I mentioned Queens Park I more meant the literal park (compared to the Green) but to an extent, yeah their adjacent areas. Mt Florida, Vic Road and Pollockshaws Rd do have their mess issues, but IMO i'd take them in a second over Calton, London Rd and Gorbals (barring some of the new bits)

Yeah anywhere better than the east side like, always been a big toilet , I couldn't stand the stench from there .
I'm from opposite side of motorway from Mount Florida. Brought up in the Brox area but had relatives who stayed in the old London road sort of area and it wasn't for me.
And what annoys me is those who weren't born or brought up in glasgow actually ****s of the place - do they think they come from somewhere much better ..!
(edited 4 years ago)
I love Glasgow. Moved there when I was 18 and stayed til I was 24. Would move back in a heartbeat. I work there currently but can't guarantee employment after July so no point in moving right now. :frown:
Original post by sinfonietta
I love Glasgow. Moved there when I was 18 and stayed til I was 24. Would move back in a heartbeat. I work there currently but can't guarantee employment after July so no point in moving right now. :frown:

Hi
Don't get me wrong I love my own city through and through but there's good and bad parts every where we go in the country.
I hope you enjoying it like and the job treating you good to. Pitty about the job like for you especially if you are settled to with it. X
Yeah anywhere better than the east side like, always been a big toilet , I couldn't stand the stench from there .
I'm from opposite side of motorway from Mount Florida. Brought up in the Brox area but had relatives who stayed in the old London road sort of area and it wasn't for me.
And what annoys me is those who weren't born or brought up in glasgow actually ****s of the place - do they think they come from somewhere much better ..!

Ha! I'm 5 mins down the road towards Cathcart :tongue: I wasn't actually born or raised here,but that's been near 20 years now, I;ve been here longer than anywhere else anyway.

For smells I think Sighthill takes the prize, that f***'n tannery....like a scabby dog ate some bad yougurt and crawled into an oven to die...
Original post by sinfonietta

Hi there
Don't get me wrong I love my own city through and through like, I would go back there in a heartbeat as well but currently I settled in where I'm at the moment because I did my degree here and have a fulltime job after completing it, if I can find a equivalent job in glasgow then I would go back home .

I hope that glasgow is treating you nicely , hope you thoroughly enjoying it like and pity about the job as well and hope that something will come up for you before July to allow you to stay there x
it is with that attitude
Ha! I'm 5 mins down the road towards Cathcart :tongue: I wasn't actually born or raised here,but that's been near 20 years now, I;ve been here longer than anywhere else anyway.

For smells I think Sighthill takes the prize, that f***'n tannery....like a scabby dog ate some bad yougurt and crawled into an oven to die...

Anything around the parkhead area smells for me unfortunately.
Sighthill had a reputation if I remember right about the smell .

Yeah I was born and raised in glasgow along edmiston road heading into paisley road west direction.

Yeah you must have liked it that you stayed that long , cathcart is okay like as better than most parts.
Anything around the parkhead area smells for me unfortunately.

(Is it the smell of all the trophies? :tongue: )

Quick Reply

Latest