The Student Room Group

Help 3rd year student accused of cheating

Deleted information
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi, I’ve been accused of cheating in my exam, invigilators have said I kept looking the paper in front of me and that they had apparently warned me to look down and face forward but they never did so, she accused me during the exam of showing my question paper to the person next to me. I never did such a thing and now they’ve said I was copying from the person next to me also and they covered their questions with their arm?

The person in front was a friend, I was positioned in the back of the room in the corner. I wouldn’t do such a thing? I’m in my final year of uni, I wouldn’t risk something like this. I kept looking towards that direction for the time as my table was in a weird area and that the view. I’m scared, I am already going under a lot of anxiety and depression and I don’t want to loose everything I’ve worked so hard for.

The invigilators have made their case and their statements, my biggest fear is my friend that was siting in front, we had studied together and we may have misinterpreted a few answers and I don’t want this be causation?

What should I do?
Honestly feel like ending it all, can’t believe this situation
Original post by accusedsfalsely
Hi, I’ve been accused of cheating in my exam, invigilators have said I kept looking the paper in front of me and that they had apparently warned me to look down and face forward but they never did so, she accused me during the exam of showing my question paper to the person next to me. I never did such a thing and now they’ve said I was copying from the person next to me also and they covered their questions with their arm?

The person in front was a friend, I was positioned in the back of the room in the corner. I wouldn’t do such a thing? I’m in my final year of uni, I wouldn’t risk something like this. I kept looking towards that direction for the time as my table was in a weird area and that the view. I’m scared, I am already going under a lot of anxiety and depression and I don’t want to loose everything I’ve worked so hard for.

The invigilators have made their case and their statements, my biggest fear is my friend that was siting in front, we had studied together and we may have misinterpreted a few answers and I don’t want this be causation?

What should I do?

Hey, i can understand that things can be tough right now. my advice for you is honestly you do you. and im not just saying this in a childish way. what i mean by it is you know the truth. you know that you didn't cheat and honestly, i think that the invigilator is being paranoid. nevertheless, just keep your head down in the exam because the invigilator may disqualify you and after all those years of studying, you dont want to fail because of this. you seem to care about your education and i wouldn't want anyone to throw that away because of something that they did not even do. hope this helps.
Original post by RoxyThorn
Hey, i can understand that things can be tough right now. my advice for you is honestly you do you. and im not just saying this in a childish way. what i mean by it is you know the truth. you know that you didn't cheat and honestly, i think that the invigilator is being paranoid. nevertheless, just keep your head down in the exam because the invigilator may disqualify you and after all those years of studying, you dont want to fail because of this. you seem to care about your education and i wouldn't want anyone to throw that away because of something that they did not even do. hope this helps.

Hi, they’re accusing me of directly looking at the paper when I was looking at the time? I have an interview with the investigating officer, do you have anymore advice?
Hi, they’re accusing me of directly looking at the paper when I was looking at the time? I have an interview with the investigating officer, do you have anymore advice?

Just be yourself and don’t panic
dont feel pressurised
it is not gonna come to anything
you are being negative
have a rest and stop overthinking
you are going to be fine
now smile and take a deep breath

in this case, like many others, honesty is the best solution. tell the officer that you were merely looking at the time and you had no intentions to cheat. you really need to convince them. tell them that it is against your personal moral to cheat- in the test and to cheat yourself. tell them that you went into the exam telling yourself that whatever grade you got was going to be from your own hard work. and finish it off with i think it was all just a simple misunderstanding. i really do hope things work out in your favour.

What should I do?

Go and see student adviser in SU.
Do you have any friends who have good judgement and will accompany you or are smart?
Any third year lawyer friends?

You need to prepare your case about:

1. What went on as in plausible explanation.
2. Inaccuracies and weaknesses in their case? Presumably they have supplied the statements to you?

If you cant do it yourself thats why you need a friend or someone capable of giving an outside objective opinion about the strengths and weaknesses if your case.
Go and see the GP as well to get a doctors note if you need to suspend hearing or be allowed extra time.

Presumably you can show via diagram that the clock was directly in ,line with where you were looking.
If you didnt do it then fight and say so.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest