The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

one could get the same threats if **** off other religions
Original post by Fuego1
so where do we draw the line between 'discussion' and 'extreme debate'? If someone makes the claim that islam doesn't promote violence, someone can easy present evidence from scriptures that it does promote violence. it is then upto the person who made the initial claim to refute this. That isn't 'extreme debate'

Face it, you just cannot comprehend the idea of criticising religious belief because you're too scared to offend someone. If you have confidence in your beliefs, you should have no problems defending them - so why lash out?

You wouldn't have any problem if people spoke about all the pros of religion, so why can't you accept the cons?

From my understanding, religious people don't actively accept there are any "cons" in their religion.
Sure there's cons in some of the followers, but not all followers properly represent their religion (extremists).

It's absolutely fine for someone to discuss / debate about another religion. But you won't come across (for example), a religious person who lists the cons of their religion. They don't believe there is any. That's what the point of a debate is.

Sorry if my reply doesn't answer your question :redface:
I'm a bit all over the place :biggrin:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 62
do you believe that religions can have flaws? for example, the promotion of the killing of apostates and punishment of homosexuals in the hellfire, and women inheriting half of what a man inherits. Or are all religions perfect?

Btw should you disagree with any of the things I mentioned, that would make islam imperfect
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
Religion of Peace.

What are you trying to portray. Islam is a religion of peace. The people who follow it doesn't devalue the religious scripture and the core beliefs of the religion. People have a right to defend their relion because they hold it close to them in the same way if someone said something about one of your relatives. In that I'm not saying the death threats were justified but saying something against a religion is going to cause some retaliation. Both sides have the right to free speech.
Original post by AmberDalia
What are you trying to portray. Islam is a religion of peace. The people who follow it doesn't devalue the religious scripture and the core beliefs of the religion. People have a right to defend their relion because they hold it close to them in the same way if someone said something about one of your relatives. In that I'm not saying the death threats were justified but saying something against a religion is going to cause some retaliation. Both sides have the right to free speech.

The scripture is pretty hateful so it is no surprise that it leads the followers to be hateful.

Are you honestly trying to claim that rape and death threats are covered under "free speech"?
I have seen some bold claims on this forum, but you have won the award for it.
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
The scripture is pretty hateful so it is no surprise that it leads the followers to be hateful.

Are you honestly trying to claim that rape and death threats are covered under "free speech"?
I have seen some bold claims on this forum, but you have won the award for it.

The scripture is not hateful it what you interpret of it. If you have not studies the religious then you cannot make such claims. I did say I wasn't talking about the death threats I was talking about the anger people showed in retaliation about what she said about their religion excluding the death threats. Which are obviously shown by extremists who do not represent the religion or the millions of other Muslims following Islam.
I am SHOCKED.
The scripture is not hateful it what you interpret of it. If you have not studies the religious then you cannot make such claims. I did say I wasn't talking about the death threats I was talking about the anger people showed in retaliation about what she said about their religion excluding the death threats. Which are obviously shown by extremists who do not represent the religion or the millions of other Muslims following Islam.

Muhammad himself wasn’t exactly peaceful. The ‘taken out of context’ bit is really really old at this stage.

I have read it and I can make a judgement on what I have read, you can't take that away from me.

The homophobic slurs and the horrendous language towards a teenage girl, is that what you were referring to?

The scripture does a perfectly good job of showing that hate, the daily news stories are just an extra.
Original post by YaliaV
Muhammad himself wasn’t exactly peaceful. The ‘taken out of context’ bit is really really old at this stage.

And that's your opinion. Personally to me i thought he was very peaceful ; If you studied the quraan and hadith you would find that out . But it's easier to criticise the religion online.
Live reaction from TSR’s notoriously vocal Islamic community:

Reply 71
And that's your opinion. Personally to me i thought he was very peaceful ; If you studied the quraan and hadith you would find that out . But it's easier to criticise the religion online.

a lot of us have studied the Qur'an and hadith - and can draw the conclusion that Muhammad wasn't peaceful.

As you've even said, it's merely an OPINION. Just like your OPINION is that Muhammad was peaceful. basically if we don't agree with you that Muhammad was peaceful, we're not reading the Qur'an properly or are 'not studying it hard enough'.
Every religion should be allowed to criticised as long that does not directly interfere in being able to freely practice their religion.

Their book can be interpreted as being full of hate, and the response is more realistic of what would actually happen compared to philosophical views by great portions of the Muslim communities.

Very similar to the Charlie Hebdo attacks.

Same goes with Feminism, another ideology:

> I’m not a feminist, because it no longer stands for equality

> It does

> Imo it doesn’t

> You filthy, sexist, misogynistic white male! Burn in Hell!
Reply 74

It's been mentioned a number of times but your religious indoctrination prevents you from listening to this.
Any sort of religion is a set of ideas/beliefs and those beliefs have every right to be criticised - regardless of how close you hold those beliefs to your heart. No one has the right not to be offended. Don't use 'holding something close to your heart' as an excuse as an excuse to respond in an aggressive manner and stifle criticism. You cannot even prove the existence of your God or prove your religion to be true - on the other hand you can prove the physical existence of your parents.

You come across as the sort of individual who'd try and justify the Charlie hebdo attacks 'cuz they hurt someone else's feelings and where therefore allowed to lose all their morals and go round killing people'
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Amiimle
it’s clear what the agenda for this thread is, fellow Muslims don’t even waste your time, the same way that that mans actions doesn’t represent Islam is the same the kkk don’t represent all Christians, good day

We are here to admire the religion of peace, after all so much good keeps on coming out of that religion .
Reply 76
Religious person is a nut job what a shocker :rolleyes:
Original post by Fuego1
a lot of us have studied the Qur'an and hadith - and can draw the conclusion that Muhammad wasn't peaceful.

As you've even said, it's merely an OPINION. Just like your OPINION is that Muhammad was peaceful. basically if we don't agree with you that Muhammad was peaceful, we're not reading the Qur'an properly or are 'not studying it hard enough'.

I personally don't think if you have studied a religon that in-depth that you would have a harsh view on it and i can see that through the constant bashing you do of islam. It's okay to have an opinion but you dont need to push it on to everyone else.
Reply 78
I personally don't think if you have studied a religon that in-depth that you would have a harsh view on it and i can see that through the constant bashing you do of islam. It's okay to have an opinion but you dont need to push it on to everyone else.

how to you know that I haven't studied the religion properly??
you're making the same mistake again. Just because someone doesn't share the exact same opinion as you, doesn't mean they haven't studied the religion properly.

once again, what is wrong with the criticism of Islam? surely if you know more than me about islam, you can defend it, right?

You have an issue with me when I and many others 'push out opinion' on others using evidence and logic yet you have no issue with people in the streets with giving 'dawah' and use loudspeakers to push their opinion on others and try to convince others that their religion is 'the truth' and that they 'should fear Allah and the hellfire'? Yikes...
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 79

But surely your view on islam is merely an opinion? So there is no guarantee that your opinion on Muhammad being peaceful is correct.

Latest

Trending

Trending