The Student Room Group

Has anyone done bad on their GCSE mocks, but well on their actual exams?

Can someone give me some examples, or inspiration, so I can try as well cause mine didn't go to well :frown:

Scroll to see replies

It was a while ago, so I don't remember the specifics, but there was a large disparity between my mock results and my real results (positive). What are mocks if not practice? They are supposed to help you improve. You'll have plenty of time to do so.
Yup I got 5s and 6s for mocks but my results all cane out as 7, 8, 9s
Reply 3
Original post by ArtmisKco
Yup I got 5s and 6s for mocks but my results all cane out as 7, 8, 9s

I'm stuck on 3s and 4s for some subjects, hopefully I do better
Last year for my 4th year modules (It’s the way CCEA works) I was getting C’s and D’s in RS all year the teacher said I’d be lucky to pass I got 95% with no extra effort (the highest in our class that year). The funny thing was when she tried to tell me off recently for not having enough scripture (truth was my ethical argument wasn’t Christian) and asked “what did you get in your module” thinking I’d say D or C. Her face was hard not to laugh at when I told her an A.
Few things I learnt from this experience
1) check your teachers are marking to the Mark schemes
2) Know the exam technique
3) some of my teachers did this and it’s useless do not think you have to impress the examiner by going beyond what the Mark scheme wants if the mark scheme says your answer is worth full marks they have to give you full marks
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by burnout7
Can someone give me some examples, or inspiration, so I can try as well cause mine didn't go to well :frown:

This is about seven years ago now but I got mainly Cs in my mocks and then got As and abs for the real exams!
Reply 6

Lol got a U in my french mocks, got a 7 in the real exams
got a 5 in my history mock, got an 8 in the exams
got a 6 in my english literature mock, got a 9 in the exams
got a 55 in my science mocks , got a 77 in the exams

Mocks dont reflect what you'll do in the real exam, they reflect what grade you are working at
yeahh got 4 in maths, 3 in english language and came out with 7’s in both
Reply 8
I got a 3 in music in my mock but got an 8 in the real thing. I can’t remember others but quite a few went up (a couple also went down but that was kinda my own fault as I spent longer focussing on other subjects) as long as you learn from the mocks, that’s what they’re there for after all, I’m sure you will do well!
Original post by ABCABCDDD
In Year 11, in my November mock exams, I got a 3 in both Maths and Science, and a 6 in Citizenship. In my real exams I got a 4 in Maths, a 65 in Science and a 9 in Citizenship. Just revise.

hi since you got a 9 in citizenship what are you meant to do for the investigation part is there specific list of topics u have to pick from if so can you send it im doing aqa btw any hlp will be useful
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
I'm stuck on 3s and 4s for some subjects, hopefully I do better

Not sure if it is the same for you, but in my school, the teachers purposely are extremely harsh with marking mocks and don't give the actual grade. It is meant to make the student s revise more for the actual exam. My advice would be just not to stress and revise as much as you can. But not too much! I'm sure you'll do great :smile:
d

Original post by abbiieo
Not sure if it is the same for you, but in my school, the teachers purposely are extremely harsh with marking mocks and don't give the actual grade. It is meant to make the student s revise more for the actual exam. My advice would be just not to stress and revise as much as you can. But not too much! I'm sure you'll do great :smile:

same do u do citizenship if so whats your predicted
Reply 12
Original post by hxdzz_m
Lol got a U in my french mocks, got a 7 in the real exams
got a 5 in my history mock, got an 8 in the exams
got a 6 in my english literature mock, got a 9 in the exams
got a 55 in my science mocks , got a 77 in the exams

Mocks dont reflect what you'll do in the real exam, they reflect what grade you are working at

what did u do for science?

It's an irrelevant gcse, but I got a 3 in re mocks then an 8 in the real thing. I crammed the knowledge 2 days before though, so I guess I'm not the best example.
Reply 14
Original post by hijarbie2019
d

same do u do citizenship if so whats your predicted

Don't do Citizenship, wasn't available to me. I'm from Wales. I'm predicted A/A* in most of my subjects though
I remember getting a D in the foundation paper when I did a GCSE maths mock near the end of year 10, and now I have a 2:1 in a maths degree so I wouldn’t panic too much. There’s heaps of time to improve

Yes! Your mocks are there so that you know what to work on, if you take these as a learning curve and work on the things you did badly on, you can definitely improve. It happened to me!
I got a 3-3 in my Science mock and got 7-7 in the real thing
I got a 3 in my French mock and got 7 in the real thing
2 in German mock and got a 5 in real thing
3 in History mock and got a 6
yes I got a five in physics then in real got an 8
yes lol it is very common. I swear in my mocks i only passed 2.
Original post by fefssdf
I remember getting a D in the foundation paper when I did a GCSE maths mock near the end of year 10, and now I have a 2:1 in a maths degree so I wouldn’t panic too much. There’s heaps of time to improve

Thats actually insane.

Quick Reply

Latest