The Student Room Group

nursing degree help, entry requirements

Hi

I am really looking to study nursing. I don't have the qualifications to go straight to university and can't afford the access to nursing course financially. I was looking at doing a related degree at the Open University, would this allow me to then apply for nursing once completed.

any advise would be greatly appreciated!! thanks
Reply 1
the access course is covered by the further education funding it should cost you nothing.
Reply 2
yeah the course is funded but I can't afford to have no income as there is no bursary etc due to being an access course.
Reply 3
try a part time hca job. its what your likely going to have to do when you get into full training.
Reply 4
plus it will get you experience and a good work reference. plus they may offer you the new apprenticeship scheme.
Reply 5
Original post by paub
try a part time hca job. its what your likely going to have to do when you get into full training.

I work bank shifts as a care assistant and worked full time doing it for 4 years, currently working in nhs doing an admin role thank you
Original post by dt34
Hi

I am really looking to study nursing. I don't have the qualifications to go straight to university and can't afford the access to nursing course financially. I was looking at doing a related degree at the Open University, would this allow me to then apply for nursing once completed.

any advise would be greatly appreciated!! thanks

I'm in the same boat. I'm doing an access course online whilst working full-time. It's still fully funded. If you do an ou degree you then may not be eligible for student finance for any further degrees so this might be a good idea. Be quick if you want to apply it starts in Feb :smile: https://www.activatelearning.ac.uk/study/what-to-study/access-to-he-online
Reply 7
Original post by Ilognie321
I'm in the same boat. I'm doing an access course online whilst working full-time. It's still fully funded. If you do an ou degree you then may not be eligible for student finance for any further degrees so this might be a good idea. Be quick if you want to apply it starts in Feb :smile: https://www.activatelearning.ac.uk/study/what-to-study/access-to-he-online

Thanks so much!! is this only available in England though?
Reply 8
the ou route requires you to be sponsored by your health board or trust.
Original post by dt34
Thanks so much!! is this only available in England though?

The course itself is available in the UK but check re funding if you're not based in England. Shouldn't be a problem though?
Reply 10
The course itself is available in the UK but check re funding if you're not based in England. Shouldn't be a problem though?

its not the funding thats the big problem its the sponsorship
Original post by paub
its not the funding thats the big problem its the sponsorship

I don't understand? Are you not UK based then? In which case I'm not sure. If you are then sponsorship isn't needed, just the funding for the course and you can continue to work?
Reply 12
to do nursing at the ou you need a sponsor that supplies the placements. without that practical training you dont qualify.
Employer partnership

The University offers this practice-based qualification in association with partnering employers. You must be working in healthcare practice in a caring role where registered nurse mentors are available. You will need to discuss the opportunity with your employer and with a member of the nursing academic team in your location.

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/nursing-healthcare/degrees/bsc-adult-nursing-q73#entry-requirements
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by paub
to do nursing at the ou you need a sponsor that supplies the placements. withoutb that practical training you dont qualify.

Yes but I'm talking about the online access course not the ou degree :smile:
Original post by paub
to do nursing at the ou you need a sponsor that supplies the placements. without that practical training you dont qualify.
Employer partnership

The University offers this practice-based qualification in association with partnering employers. You must be working in healthcare practice in a caring role where registered nurse mentors are available. You will need to discuss the opportunity with your employer and with a member of the nursing academic team in your location.

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/nursing-healthcare/degrees/bsc-adult-nursing-q73#entry-requirements

We're talking about two completely different courses here. The link I sent was for a college that offers online access to nursing he courses, which can be funded by the advanced learner loan. As you say the ou degree needs sponsorship.
Reply 15
Yes but I'm talking about the online access course not the ou degree :smile:

a full access course has 2 placements. the ou one does not. your going to need to talk to the education facilitators of the trust or board. my wife topped her diploma up via the ou. of all the unis she has attended it was the best. they are more supportive than a lot of brick unis
Original post by paub
a full access course has 2 placements. the ou one does not. your going to need to talk to the education facilitators of the trust or board. my wife topped her diploma up via the ou. of all the unis she has attended it was the best. they are more supportive than a lot of brick unis

My access course has no placements, it's equivalent to 3 alevels and then my plan is to apply to a bricks and mortar uni for my degree. I think we've confused eachother here 👍
Reply 17
My access course has no placements, it's equivalent to 3 alevels and then my plan is to apply to a bricks and mortar uni for my degree. I think we've confused eachother here 👍

thats changed since my daughter did hers. she did 2 placements in a care home. shows how things change . i did a modified iq test to get onto project 2000 in the late1990s really wish you well its really a very rewarding job.
Original post by paub
thats changed since my daughter did hers. she did 2 placements in a care home. shows how things change . i did a modified iq test to get onto project 2000 in the late1990s really wish you well its really a very rewarding job.

Wow things really have! I'm planning on getting some more care/clinical experience before I apply for uni anyway :smile: thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending