The Student Room Group

Do universities really care about GCSE grades?

Hello All,

Feeling anxious about this, does it REALLY matter?
Original post by Jess.Stevensx
Hello All,

Feeling anxious about this, does it REALLY matter?

Yes it does matter, it’s how they judge their candidates at the end of the day. However, some universities will just ask for a grade 4 in English, maths and science - depending on the degree.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Hazelly
Yes it does matter, it’s how they judge their candidates at the end of the day. However, some universities will just ask for a grade 4 in English, maths and science - depending on the degree.

If I have a 6 in maths and a 5 in english, would it make up for the fact that I have a 4-3 in science.
Original post by ibby68
If I have a 6 in maths and a 5 in english, would it make up for the fact that I have a 4-3 in science.

What courses/universities are you specifically looking at?
Reply 4
How much they value GCSEs is entirely dependant on the course but I believe a pass in English and maths is essential.
Original post by tdpr_
How much they value GCSEs is entirely dependant on the course but I believe a pass in English and maths is essential.

That's correct yep :smile: Some universities will not even ask for a science GCSE.
Wait I want to ask if getting a gcse 6 in English is difficult?
yh they look at those as much as they look at a levels and r tlly inportant
Original post by Hazelly
What courses/universities are you specifically looking at?

Computer Science or Computer Systems engineering. Something to do with computers lol. Im not trying to go to Cambridge though, Id be happy with a Russel group like York or something.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ibby68
Computer Science or Computer Systems engineering. Something to do with computers lol.

Have you had a look at the entry requirements for certain universities? You'll then be able to see if GCSEs are that important for the university.
Original post by Hazelly
Have you had a look at the entry requirements for certain universities? You'll then be able to see if GCSEs are that important for the university.

Yeah I think I will check now. Ty.
Original post by ibby68
Yeah I think I will check now. Ty.

UCAS or Whatuni are good websites to use :smile:
@Sinnoh has made a wonderful thread for precisely these queries. :smile:

For the vast majority of universities and courses the only requirement as far as GCSEs are concerned will be the pass grade in English and Maths (4/5?). Anything else most universities will consider broadly irrelevant. They may notice if you got 7 GCSEs all at grade 2, but if your GCSEs look typical then it's really not important what the grades are.

Your qualifications at level 3 (A Levels etc.) will be considered with far more importance than your GCSEs.

The biggest exceptions to this are medicine (some other courses also have very solid GCSE requirements but medicine is the biggie); and Oxford, who's colleges and courses each specify what they want to see from your GCSEs - so check the webpages.

Some unis may take it into consideration but by and large this is never defined properly by admissions staff.

TL;DR No.

FYI @Hazelly for future reference. :fyi:
Original post by 04MR17
@Sinnoh has made a wonderful thread for precisely these queries. :smile:

For the vast majority of universities and courses the only requirement as far as GCSEs are concerned will be the pass grade in English and Maths (4/5?). Anything else most universities will consider broadly irrelevant. They may notice if you got 7 GCSEs all at grade 2, but if your GCSEs look typical then it's really not important what the grades are.

Your qualifications at level 3 (A Levels etc.) will be considered with far more importance than your GCSEs.

The biggest exceptions to this are medicine (some other courses also have very solid GCSE requirements but medicine is the biggie); and Oxford, who's colleges and courses each specify what they want to see from your GCSEs - so check the webpages.

Some unis may take it into consideration but by and large this is never defined properly by admissions staff.

TL;DR No.

FYI @Hazelly for future reference. :fyi:

Hi,

Thanks for tagging me :biggrin: Is it alright to keep a memo of this and reuse it for a similar post whenever?
Original post by Hazelly
Hi,

Thanks for tagging me :biggrin: Is it alright to keep a memo of this and reuse it for a similar post whenever?
Absolutely:smile:
Original post by 04MR17
Absolutely:smile:

Most universities usually require English and Maths at grade 4 or 5 GCSE together with a further 3 subjects. Some universities might look for grade 6 in English Language and for Mathematical based courses like Psychology, Economics, Accounting, Engineering Computer Science most leading universities will require grade 6 in GCSE Maths or in some cases higher. Generally science is not usually a requirement for most courses but probably will be for science based courses like Medicine, Pharmacy, Dentistry, Forensic Science etc. It might be different for very competitive universities and courses. The course requirements for each university need to be checked for accurate information.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending