The Student Room Group

Eye Issues

I have issues that I would like to discuss.

My eyes:
- An extremely rare and high prescription (minus)
- Suffer from myopia, glaucoma, astigmatism, and strabismal (I have read on all of these)
- Traumatic experience relating to eyes as a baby
- Currently using two types of eye drops to lower eye pressure (may need laser treatment or surgery to lower eye pressure)

General health:
- I believe that if there was a thing that has put the most strain on my mental wellbeing throughout my life, then it would have to be my eyes or the conditions relating to them
- Depression, social anxiety, OCD (all self-diagnosed)
- A noticeable increase in forgetfulness/poor memory

Correction:
- Glasses (difficult to see even with them on)
- I trialled rigid gas permeable lenses which were very uncomfortable, not easy to maintain, and not great at offering vision anywhere near as good as glasses
- I have looked into treatments such as PRK, Lasik surgery, Lasek surgery, Implantable contact lens surgery, replacement lens surgery, etc.

Concerns and questions:
- I am unsure as to whether having corrections done to lower my eye pressure (laser treatment or surgery) may prevent me from being able to consider treatments to actually correct eyesight and vision e.g. ICL, PRK, etc.
- I don't know if my prescription will become stable
- How do I get a job, study or progress in life while I feel sure that all of this would continue to hold me back?
- How do I stay strong and not let all of this get to me?
- How do I overcome the issue of wearing thick or coke-bottle glasses?
- If I'm financially able one day, what treatment do I go for?

I wouldn't have cared much had I not been told that my situation could find me in a state of total blindness, but I have and so I want to do something about it.
Reply 1
Additional note: hyperemia*

I forgot to mention an issue relating to hyperemia while younger
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I have issues that I would like to discuss.

My eyes:
- An extremely rare and high prescription (minus)
- Suffer from myopia, glaucoma, astigmatism, and strabismal (I have read on all of these)
- Traumatic experience relating to eyes as a baby
- Currently using two types of eye drops to lower eye pressure (may need laser treatment or surgery to lower eye pressure)

General health:
- I believe that if there was a thing that has put the most strain on my mental wellbeing throughout my life, then it would have to be my eyes or the conditions relating to them
- Depression, social anxiety, OCD (all self-diagnosed)
- A noticeable increase in forgetfulness/poor memory

Correction:
- Glasses (difficult to see even with them on)
- I trialled rigid gas permeable lenses which were very uncomfortable, not easy to maintain, and not great at offering vision anywhere near as good as glasses
- I have looked into treatments such as PRK, Lasik surgery, Lasek surgery, Implantable contact lens surgery, replacement lens surgery, etc.

Concerns and questions:
- I am unsure as to whether having corrections done to lower my eye pressure (laser treatment or surgery) may prevent me from being able to consider treatments to actually correct eyesight and vision e.g. ICL, PRK, etc.
- I don't know if my prescription will become stable
- How do I get a job, study or progress in life while I feel sure that all of this would continue to hold me back?
- How do I stay strong and not let all of this get to me?
- How do I overcome the issue of wearing thick or coke-bottle glasses?
- If I'm financially able one day, what treatment do I go for?

I wouldn't have cared much had I not been told that my situation could find me in a state of total blindness, but I have and so I want to do something about it.

Hi, OP. Really sorry to hear how much you're struggling.

I'm unsure what to suggest specifically for the eye issues, but regarding mental health stuff, it would be a really good idea if you spoke to your GP about it. It's natural to be distressed and upset about health issues but that doesn't mean that you have to deal with it alone. It might be worth seriously considering seeking some sort of therapy for it?

Who is currently looking after you in terms of your eye health? What have they suggested? Have you spoken to any relevant charities regarding getting help when you're in work? What does your school say? (or college, I can't quite figure out your age as you've only said teens...lol).

:hugs: I'm sorry this is all happening. I am here if you do need to chat.
Reply 3
*hugs*
Most of the things you mentioned are for doctors, speak to a doctor about it. Each case is different, some may be suitable for certain treatments while others won't.
Stress can worsen eye problems (or any other health problems) so stress is very important thing to deal with.
Self diagnoses is a good thing, but be carefull, you are not a doctor and you can never really test yourself, you should speak to a professional about it, it is important for a proper treatment.

It is great that you want to find a solution for your problems, it is a step towards solving them.

How bad do you see with your glasses on? Have the doctors tried bi-focal lenses? Sometimes high myopes have problems reading with glasses because things are getting too small, especially for myopes with limited possibility for correction. Sometimes simply giving lower correction for up close makes things easier, others will need special equipment.
If you are considered legally blind you may be offered some help.
I have a friend who just finished her Phd in medicine and she is legally blind and she has special devices helping her read and see things better so she can study and work. So there are a lot of possibilities for you.... :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Pathway
Hi, OP. Really sorry to hear how much you're struggling.

I'm unsure what to suggest specifically for the eye issues, but regarding mental health stuff, it would be a really good idea if you spoke to your GP about it. It's natural to be distressed and upset about health issues but that doesn't mean that you have to deal with it alone. It might be worth seriously considering seeking some sort of therapy for it?

Who is currently looking after you in terms of your eye health? What have they suggested? Have you spoken to any relevant charities regarding getting help when you're in work? What does your school say? (or college, I can't quite figure out your age as you've only said teens...lol).

:hugs: I'm sorry this is all happening. I am here if you do need to chat.

Hi, it's alright. I wouldn't know how to go about getting therapy at my age as it's not really a common thing in my family. I get it could prove to be beneficial for me, but I am at the moment only thinking about the additional stress it might bring to me or my family. I don't really know how therapy works, do you simply just talk about your problems to someone or is there more to it?

I have been to many opticians, usually it would be because one offers something that the other doesn't offer. I have one local opticians who I have gone to for my glasses since I can remember. My local opticians referred me to Moorfields Eye Hospital some time ago (to deal with my glaucoma and consider RGP lenses). I made a GoFundMe page once but I was too shy to actually ask anyone for anything and it was poorly written. To answer your question, I've not worked with any charities. As for work, I struggle to get work but I am trying my very best to get a job with the little work experience I have.
Reply 5
Original post by Kathy89
*hugs*
Most of the things you mentioned are for doctors, speak to a doctor about it. Each case is different, some may be suitable for certain treatments while others won't.
Stress can worsen eye problems (or any other health problems) so stress is very important thing to deal with.
Self diagnoses is a good thing, but be carefull, you are not a doctor and you can never really test yourself, you should speak to a professional about it, it is important for a proper treatment.

It is great that you want to find a solution for your problems, it is a step towards solving them.

How bad do you see with your glasses on? Have the doctors tried bi-focal lenses? Sometimes high myopes have problems reading with glasses because things are getting too small, especially for myopes with limited possibility for correction. Sometimes simply giving lower correction for up close makes things easier, others will need special equipment.
If you are considered legally blind you may be offered some help.
I have a friend who just finished her Phd in medicine and she is legally blind and she has special devices helping her read and see things better so she can study and work. So there are a lot of possibilities for you.... :smile:

I understand I probably will have to speak about each thing to a doctor. My main concern when it comes to suitability is age since usually the patients with high prescription like my own, are people in their older years.

With my glasses on, I see fairly well with my dominant eye (left), but my right eye I see almost nothing (only colour, really). Without my glasses on, I rely on touch but can do very simple things at home. I don't think I've ever needed bifocal lenses or reading glasses. I've always had one very powerful pair of glasses.

Do you know what makes a legally blind person and is it possible that I am legally blind? I have not been able to really think about driving in the future because psychologically this has been a great toll. I wouldn't feel safe with myself driving or learning how to drive.

That's nice to know about your friend. My mum told me how a neighbour of mine cannot see with one of her eyes and how she has still been able to travel the world and teach. Thank you so much.
Reply 6
I understand I probably will have to speak about each thing to a doctor. My main concern when it comes to suitability is age since usually the patients with high prescription like my own, are people in their older years.

With my glasses on, I see fairly well with my dominant eye (left), but my right eye I see almost nothing (only colour, really). Without my glasses on, I rely on touch but can do very simple things at home. I don't think I've ever needed bifocal lenses or reading glasses. I've always had one very powerful pair of glasses.

Do you know what makes a legally blind person and is it possible that I am legally blind? I have not been able to really think about driving in the future because psychologically this has been a great toll. I wouldn't feel safe with myself driving or learning how to drive.

That's nice to know about your friend. My mum told me how a neighbour of mine cannot see with one of her eyes and how she has still been able to travel the world and teach. Thank you so much.

Legally blind means that even with the best correction possible you are still not getting sufficient vision to fully function on a daily basis (each country has a bit different criteria for that).
If your vision even with glasses is not good enough you could be legally blind and get a lot of help.
Reply 7
Hi, it's alright. I wouldn't know how to go about getting therapy at my age as it's not really a common thing in my family. I get it could prove to be beneficial for me, but I am at the moment only thinking about the additional stress it might bring to me or my family. I don't really know how therapy works, do you simply just talk about your problems to someone or is there more to it?

I have been to many opticians, usually it would be because one offers something that the other doesn't offer. I have one local opticians who I have gone to for my glasses since I can remember. My local opticians referred me to Moorfields Eye Hospital some time ago (to deal with my glaucoma and consider RGP lenses). I made a GoFundMe page once but I was too shy to actually ask anyone for anything and it was poorly written. To answer your question, I've not worked with any charities. As for work, I struggle to get work but I am trying my very best to get a job with the little work experience I have.

Honestly you just go to your GPand ask to be referred to the local therapy team about whats going on for you. Explain that you're struggling to cope with what is going on. Therapy is a little different to counselling and you only really get out what you put in. It's about giving you tools to better manage your situation rather than your therapist fixing it. Granted, you might not get a good therapist or be willing to work (or any number of other reasons) and therefore won't find it beneficial. But it can and does help people.

If you're still under Moorfield's it might be worth asking them? Tbh they might have an attached health psychologist, not that I remember when I went there for my own issues. Might also be worth asking them about next steps to prevent or slow down the vision loss. Sensory loss is awful and so scary.

Would be a good idea to speak to RNIBs helpline, see if they have any ideas as well or any support groups for you to attend - idk if they have online ones even, but I know that it's possible. My er...main condition holds online support group meetings as well as offline ones.
Reply 8
Original post by Kathy89
Legally blind means that even with the best correction possible you are still not getting sufficient vision to fully function on a daily basis (each country has a bit different criteria for that).
If your vision even with glasses is not good enough you could be legally blind and get a lot of help.

I see. Well, I've never had myeloma eyesight/vision corrected before. Normally I am given glasses that just allow me to see 'enough' rather than clearly. I have always tried to remain content with whatever I was given which is why now I want to actually go for doing more for my eyes.

What help do you think I should try get?
Reply 9
Visit an optician and an ophthalmologist. Check both your eye health and your eyesight.
Original post by Pathway
Honestly you just go to your GPand ask to be referred to the local therapy team about whats going on for you. Explain that you're struggling to cope with what is going on. Therapy is a little different to counselling and you only really get out what you put in. It's about giving you tools to better manage your situation rather than your therapist fixing it. Granted, you might not get a good therapist or be willing to work (or any number of other reasons) and therefore won't find it beneficial. But it can and does help people.

If you're still under Moorfield's it might be worth asking them? Tbh they might have an attached health psychologist, not that I remember when I went there for my own issues. Might also be worth asking them about next steps to prevent or slow down the vision loss. Sensory loss is awful and so scary.

Would be a good idea to speak to RNIBs helpline, see if they have any ideas as well or any support groups for you to attend - idk if they have online ones even, but I know that it's possible. My er...main condition holds online support group meetings as well as offline ones.

Therapy can comes across as a very selfish thing. If my mum realised I wanted therapy, she would think that I was struggling a lot and I don't want my mum to worry. She has worried about me enough. Whenever I go out or do things that are slightly 'dangerous' like travelling at night she worries about me because of my eyesight. Everything I've done while growing up I have thought about my parents because I owe them everything and I don't want my mum to worry anymore. She gave me so much as a kid and went through so much and for me to be the one to say that I need help or therapy?? I've been through nothing compared to my family. 😭😭😭😭
Original post by Kathy89
Visit an optician and an ophthalmologist. Check both your eye health and your eyesight.

My optician sends me/refers me to a hospital and how do I go about getting in contact with the right ophthalmologist? I'm financially restricted from most options available to people who usually face this issue that I am while they are older. I don't mean to complain but I think my age makes it difficult for me to cope. I don't want to complain though because I'm not the only one facing these issues.
Maybe this whole life experience will help me in the future and help me mature and become a strong a better person!
stronger and better person*
My optician sends me/refers me to a hospital and how do I go about getting in contact with the right ophthalmologist? I'm financially restricted from most options available to people who usually face this issue that I am while they are older. I don't mean to complain but I think my age makes it difficult for me to cope. I don't want to complain though because I'm not the only one facing these issues.

unfortunately I don't know how it works in the UK.
Therapy can comes across as a very selfish thing. If my mum realised I wanted therapy, she would think that I was struggling a lot and I don't want my mum to worry. She has worried about me enough. Whenever I go out or do things that are slightly 'dangerous' like travelling at night she worries about me because of my eyesight. Everything I've done while growing up I have thought about my parents because I owe them everything and I don't want my mum to worry anymore. She gave me so much as a kid and went through so much and for me to be the one to say that I need help or therapy?? I've been through nothing compared to my family. 😭😭😭😭

I can understand sort of what you're saying, although I can't say I agree with it. Just like your eye sight and any other part of your body your mind needs to be taken care of as well. Mind and body are connected, you cannot have good health in both if one is suffering. Your mum gave you life I assume because she loved you regardless of what may come your way, unfortunately you've been dealt a difficult hand. This doesn't mean that you have to continue to suffer in silence. For what it's worth, my mum was relieved when I finally sought help for my mental health issues (well when she found out anyway, I did it with out her knowing whilst I was away at university) and struggling to come to terms with my physical health issues. Sure she still worries about me and what is going on with my health, mentally or physically, but you worry about people because you love them. You wouldn't want them to suffer. Granted, if your mum is struggling to cope then perhaps she might benefit from some sort of counselling or therapy herself, my mum had CBT to help her manage her own mental health difficulties and juggling the task of being my carer. She's not selfish in a negative way for seeking help, neither am I, and neither would you be. If anything it just shows that you're taking responsibility for yourself in more ways, which is a sign of growth. Sometimes selfishness is needed to heal.

If you've been to Moorefields you've likely seen an ophthalmologist, but I might be wrong, idk. I saw a neuroophthalmologist a few times when I was under their care. Moorefields is the best place to ask for directions to support networks most likely.
Original post by Pathway
I can understand sort of what you're saying, although I can't say I agree with it. Just like your eye sight and any other part of your body your mind needs to be taken care of as well. Mind and body are connected, you cannot have good health in both if one is suffering. Your mum gave you life I assume because she loved you regardless of what may come your way, unfortunately you've been dealt a difficult hand. This doesn't mean that you have to continue to suffer in silence. For what it's worth, my mum was relieved when I finally sought help for my mental health issues (well when she found out anyway, I did it with out her knowing whilst I was away at university) and struggling to come to terms with my physical health issues. Sure she still worries about me and what is going on with my health, mentally or physically, but you worry about people because you love them. You wouldn't want them to suffer. Granted, if your mum is struggling to cope then perhaps she might benefit from some sort of counselling or therapy herself, my mum had CBT to help her manage her own mental health difficulties and juggling the task of being my carer. She's not selfish in a negative way for seeking help, neither am I, and neither would you be. If anything it just shows that you're taking responsibility for yourself in more ways, which is a sign of growth. Sometimes selfishness is needed to heal.

If you've been to Moorefields you've likely seen an ophthalmologist, but I might be wrong, idk. I saw a neuroophthalmologist a few times when I was under their care. Moorefields is the best place to ask for directions to support networks most likely.

I feel like the problems with my mental health are due to my physical issues so to me it seems like correcting my physical issues will help correct my not so physical issues. However, I might actually learn that after any eye surgeries (if I can afford it one day), I could still have mental health issues. My mum is ridiculously strong and optimistic. If she was suffering from mental health issues I would truly be shocked. Anyway I feel bad talking about my mum to a stranger even if I'm writing anonymously and stuff. I do need to take responsibility.

I've seen many people at Moorefields and they would often get the advice of their colleagues when dealing with me because I don't think my case is too ordinary. I've seen ICL surgery videos and these people had similar prescriptions to mine.

Quick Reply

Latest