The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SHOWEY
So sorry to hear about your aforementioned hindrances.

I thought you had already applied in 2017 or 2018 cycle?

Yeah I did comment on another thread my dad had a brain tumour and Parkinson’s so I was caring for him he passed away last year, we were not expecting him to get cancer and die within 14 months we thought he would beat it but sadly that didn’t happen. So things have been put on the back burner academically because I had to care for him then the rest of last year was spent with a second bereavement and then appendicitis which I think was just my bodies way of saying I need a break. Sadly things didn’t progress and so now I’ve dealt with that and I’ve grieved I am ready to apply.
Sometimes life throws you curve balls and you have to adjust to get over them and for me that meant I had to put my academics on hold. But I’ve learnt a lot from those experiences so it benefited me in a small way. Thanks
Reply 41
Original post by Dora amos
No sadly not. I live about 90 minutes away from London Waterloo. Sadly I’d have to give up my home and move across country but it’s a risk I’m willing to take

What do you do?

To start with, I was wondering if you are real or not as you started in one of the threads stating you were seeking info for this course for your younger sister about two years ago but, on of a sudden, you started messaging that you were applying for the course too..

When I read your initial message on here, I was like I recognised that username and then, you reaffirmed my suspicion by changing your username from Vickie89uk to Dora Amos.
Reply 42
Yeah I did comment on another thread my dad had a brain tumour and Parkinson’s so I was caring for him he passed away last year, we were not expecting him to get cancer and die within 14 months we thought he would beat it but sadly that didn’t happen. So things have been put on the back burner academically because I had to care for him then the rest of last year was spent with a second bereavement and then appendicitis which I think was just my bodies way of saying I need a break. Sadly things didn’t progress and so now I’ve dealt with that and I’ve grieved I am ready to apply.
Sometimes life throws you curve balls and you have to adjust to get over them and for me that meant I had to put my academics on hold. But I’ve learnt a lot from those experiences so it benefited me in a small way. Thanks

Most times in life, curve balls are inevitable, it is all about how we handle those balls that matter. And from the way you sounded, you appear to me to have a good way of handling those balls.

I lost my Dad whilst in Year one of University of which, I had exam to write and essay to submit prior to his funeral. Looking back, I keep wondering how I was able to pull through.

You have indeed experienced some curved balls but, you still remain standing, which I think is the way forward.
Original post by SHOWEY
What do you do?

To start with, I was wondering if you are real or not as you started in one of the threads stating you were seeking info for this course for your younger sister about two years ago but, on of a sudden, you started messaging that you were applying for the course too..

When I read your initial message on here, I was like I recognised that username and then, you reaffirmed my suspicion by changing your username from Vickie89uk to Dora Amos.

Yes my family call me DORA and I am was married.
More than one family member can attend the same course

Furthermore people spend years applying so that doesn’t mean they can only use the tsr one year and then vanish and not ask again. There seems to be a stigma sometimes that if you comment more than one year or ask questions people ask if you’re real.... I’ve seen some people be quite rude on other threads because of this. You haven’t been rude but i think people forget it can take time to get in especially as an independent adult
So yes I’m real.
Original post by SHOWEY
Most times in life, curve balls are inevitable, it is all about how we handle those balls that matter. And from the way you sounded, you appear to me to have a good way of handling those balls.

I lost my Dad whilst in Year one of University of which, I had exam to write and essay to submit prior to his funeral. Looking back, I keep wondering how I was able to pull through.

You have indeed experienced some curved balls but, you still remain standing, which I think is the way forward.

I’m sorry about your dad it is so tough but you do get through it some how. I can’t imagine how stressful that must’ve been for you. Those experiences make us who we are and make us stronger more resilient people
Reply 45
Yes my family call me DORA and I am was married.
More than one family member can attend the same course

Furthermore people spend years applying so that doesn’t mean they can only use the tsr one year and then vanish and not ask again. There seems to be a stigma sometimes that if you comment more than one year or ask questions people ask if you’re real.... I’ve seen some people be quite rude on other threads because of this. You haven’t been rude but i think people forget it can take time to get in especially as an independent adult
So yes I’m real.

I am glad that you spotted it that I wasn't been rude as rudeness isn't part of the virtues I possess.

Are you saying your sister is on the course in UoL?

By no means was I attempting to stigmatise you, I was only seeking for clarity. Because, about two years ago, your username Vickie89uk was making enquiries about the course that they were asking for their sister and somewhere down the line started saying they were going to apply for the course... And now, you sent message from same username asking similar questions to the ones asked about two years ago and then changing your username...
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 46
I’m sorry about your dad it is so tough but you do get through it some how. I can’t imagine how stressful that must’ve been for you. Those experiences make us who we are and make us stronger more resilient people

Cheers for your kind words!

Indeed, they make us resilient.

What do you do for work?
Original post by SHOWEY
Cheers for your kind words!

Indeed, they make us resilient.

What do you do for work?

My sister is a mum - a single mum once my niece starts school it will be feasible for her to go to university that’s difficult as a single mum.

I work in a florist.
Reply 48
My sister is a mum - a single mum once my niece starts school it will be feasible for her to go to university that’s difficult as a single mum.

I work in a florist.

I hope this inspires someone... I recently met a lady who is a GP, she went through Medical School as a single mother of four (4) children; can someone guess which Medical School she studied?
I bet not: she studied at Cambridge!
Reply 49

I work in a florist.

So, is it the case that you and her sister shared/sharing same username on TSR?
To be honest, you didn't address the questions I raised; of which you're not oblige to.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by SHOWEY
So, is it the case that you and her sister shared/sharing same username on TSR?
To be honest, you didn't address the questions I raise; of which you're not oblige to.

The case is I asked an initial question for her when we were having a conversation, on my account and then I used this account for myself which is why it’s confusing in hindsight she should’ve made her own account but hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Also that mother of 4 is amazing. It is possible
Reply 51
The case is I asked an initial question for her when we were having a conversation, on my account and then I used this account for myself which is why it’s confusing in hindsight she should’ve made her own account but hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Also that mother of 4 is amazing. It is possible

It makes more sense to me now.

I am usually self motivated but the aforementioned GP hyper-motivated me when she narrated her stories to me... in fact, she had to do A levels in 2007 aa she got pregnant at 17 years old.
Original post by SHOWEY
It makes more sense to me now.

I am usually self motivated but the aforementioned GP hyper-motivated me when she narrated her stories to me... in fact, she had to do A levels in 2007 aa she got pregnant at 17 years old.

I’m pleased this now makes sense. I maybe should’ve made that clear. Sorry about that.
She sounds amazing and to be pregnant at 17 and still show people you can succeed is incredible. So many people would say and do say you’ve ruined your life but you haven’t you’ve got a child and you still have all the opportunities to do what you want to do.
My sister is concerned with financing child care whilst at university so when my niece starts school it will make things easier because childcare is expensive and being a student how do you afford that from a student loan as well as dress and feed her. She will get there.

That GP is an absolute inspiration to so many people, it takes great resilience and motivation to do as she did and at Cambridge - let’s be fair Cambridge is tough essay after essay after essay and for her to do medicine there with kids is incredible because most Cambridge students struggle when they only have themselves to care for.
Amazing lady. I’m glad she’s helped motivate you further.
Again I apologise for any confusion I caused
Reply 53
I’m pleased this now makes sense. I maybe should’ve made that clear. Sorry about that.
She sounds amazing and to be pregnant at 17 and still show people you can succeed is incredible. So many people would say and do say you’ve ruined your life but you haven’t you’ve got a child and you still have all the opportunities to do what you want to do.
My sister is concerned with financing child care whilst at university so when my niece starts school it will make things easier because childcare is expensive and being a student how do you afford that from a student loan as well as dress and feed her. She will get there.

That GP is an absolute inspiration to so many people, it takes great resilience and motivation to do as she did and at Cambridge - let’s be fair Cambridge is tough essay after essay after essay and for her to do medicine there with kids is incredible because most Cambridge students struggle when they only have themselves to care for.

It is another form of curved balls... even though it is debatable that teenage pregnancy is self inflicted, I am of the opinion that the only person that writes off one or determines it is over is the individual involved irrespective of what others say.

When someone made a mistake, that isn't the main issue for after all, we are all humans but, continuously or continually dwelling on the mistake is the perfect catalyst for wallowing in retrogression...

I concur it could be a bit challenging to sort out the finances but with determination and careful planning, one will sail through.
Original post by SHOWEY
It is another form of curved balls... even though it is debatable that teenage pregnancy is self inflicted, I am of the opinion that the only person that writes off one or determines it is over is the individual involved irrespective of what others say.

When someone made a mistake, that isn't the main issue for after all, we are all humans but, continuously or continually dwelling on the mistake is the perfect catalyst for wallowing in retrogression...

I concur it could be a bit challenging to sort out the finances but with determination and careful planning, one will sail through.

Absolutely agree. We live in a world where people want to have dictatorship over other people’s lives and what is and isn’t acceptable at certain ages

For example if you’re a woman 40 and not had children yet - you must be baron - Jennifer Anniston is a prime example of this.
The media causes these absurd reality’s of what is and is not appropriate and acceptable and others think that gives them merit to judge you. Make you feel bad but ultimately it’s your life and no one should say that was a mistake or that you should’ve waited. In my opinion mistakes are only mistakes if you learn nothing from them if you did something and then grew from it and developed because of it that’s not a mistake that’s a motivator.
For me I just accept yeah I messed up I should’ve done XYZ but having children at 17 is not a mistake I mean you get to be a mum longer and you get to experience so much more. That’s amazing. My mum had my brother at 18 then another at 19 then 21 then 22 then 32 she doesn’t regret that.

That lady is amazing
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 55
Absolutely agree. We live in a world where people want to have dictatorship over other people’s lives and what is and isn’t acceptable at certain ages

For example if you’re a woman 40 and not had children yet - you must be baron - Jennifer Anniston is a prime example of this.
The media causes these absurd reality’s of what is and is not appropriate and acceptable and others think that gives them merit to judge you. Make you feel bad but ultimately it’s your life and no one should say that was a mistake or that you should’ve waited. In my opinion mistakes are only mistakes if you learn nothing from them if you did something and then grew from it and developed because of it that’s not a mistake that’s a motivator.
For me I just accept yeah I messed up I should’ve done XYZ but having children at 17 is not a mistake I mean you get to be a mum longer and you get to experience so much more. That’s amazing. My mum had my brother at 18 then another at 19 then 21 then 22 then 32 she doesn’t regret that.

That lady is amazing

Arguably, it is challenging both psychologically and otherwise for a 17 years old to have a baby, but, it is an issue for such an individual to limit herself based on that.
Original post by SHOWEY
Arguably, it is challenging both psychologically and otherwise for a 17 years old to have a baby, but, it is an issue for such an individual to limit herself based on that.

I agree
Reply 57
The interview for the Five Years Medicine in UoL states on Monday 27 Jan 2020. Hopefully, after they are done with it in Feb, they will be less busy to start considering the Year 0's and interview should be in March going by previous years' threads.

Sorry to jump in on your conversation but I just wanted to say there is a childcare grant for students that some people are entitled to, where the government pay 85% of your childcare (capped at a certain amount). Just worth looking into so your sister can access higher education!
Original post by hannahcoroner
Sorry to jump in on your conversation but I just wanted to say there is a childcare grant for students that some people are entitled to, where the government pay 85% of your childcare (capped at a certain amount). Just worth looking into so your sister can access higher education!

Oh really?! We didn’t know that we thought it would have to come from discretionary payments from the university.
I will pass this onto her
Thank you very much

Latest

Trending

Trending