The Student Room Group

Oxbridge advanced highers option choice HELP

So I posted about this a couple of days ago but some other things have happened. Computing science as an ah is no longer being offered. This means I am left with modern studies biology drama and English. Those are the only subjects I can choose Afro advanced higher as I have done them at higher. I did poorly in the prelim for biology and my guidance teacher is a biology teacher so I will not be taking biology as it is also a very practical experiment based subject. I don’t think I will do well in drama or English ah and I need to as I want to apply for oxbridge. I have no idea what to do as I don’t think it is easy to get ah A’s in drama or English but I have to pick two ah but I know what I’m doing for the other two highers. HELP ME MY OPTIONS MEETING IS ON MONDAY.
Reply 1
What course at oxbridge?
Original post by El_21
What course at oxbridge?

Law and I’m leaning more towards oxford though
Reply 3
Original post by Aaqsa
Law and I’m leaning more towards oxford though

I have an offer from Oxford to study psychology and am doing maths, physics and chemistry (not totally relevant).

Have you checked the entry requirements where they specify subjects that are preferred or required?
Reply 4
Also I wouldn’t recommend drama if you want to study law.
Original post by El_21
I have an offer from Oxford to study psychology and am doing maths, physics and chemistry (not totally relevant).

Have you checked the entry requirements where they specify subjects that are preferred or required?

Original post by El_21
Also I wouldn’t recommend drama if you want to study law.

Yeah I’m sad to say this just occurred to me now and I’m freaking out. I feel like I have well and truly ruined my chances with the subjects I chose. I’m not doing drama because I know there is no way I’ll end up with an A in it since it’s all practical. I checked the requirements and it said all you need are two ah and a higher all at A’s. It doesn’t have specific subjects but I’m guessing modern studies would be an obvious choice and I think English would probably be the other one to go with but I do not think I can get an A at ah in it. I am so annoyed at myself for picking such random subjects. I wish I picked more social subjects that I would be more likely to get A’s in. ☹️
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Aaqsa
Yeah I’m sad to say this just occurred to me now and I’m freaking out. I feel like I have well and truly ruined my chances with the subjects I chose. I’m not doing drama because I know there is no way I’ll end up with an A in it since it’s all practical. I checked the requirements and it said all you need are two ah and an higher all at A’s. It doesn’t have specific subjects but I’m guessing modern studies would be an obvious choice and I think English would probably be the other one to go with but I do not think I can get an A at ah in it. I am so annoyed at myself for picking such random subjects. I wish I picked more social subjects that I would be more likely to get A’s in. ☹️

Well you should know that it is very competitive. The admissions test is very important as well as grades. I got 6 A1s and an A2 (in art) at Nat5 then 5 A1s at higher so in a way my exams couldn’t have gone much better and even then I wasn’t sure I’d get in for psychology which seems to be less competitive than law.

Definitely do modern studies, but it could be helpful to also do a science or maths? As I said I’m applying for psych and at higher I did RMPS, English, maths, physics and chemistry to show I can problem solve and think critically. This year I’m doing maths, physics and chem which aren’t too relevant to psych (except from maths) however they prove that I’m capable of doing “hard” subjects. I would’ve done RMPS but it wasn’t offered.
Please don’t get too fixed on oxbridge as it’s very competitive and many excellent applicants are unsuccessful but go on to have amazing times at other unis, but still there is no harm in trying as I said and I ended up being successful.
Original post by El_21
Well you should know that it is very competitive. The admissions test is very important as well as grades. I got 6 A1s and an A2 (in art) at Nat5 then 5 A1s at higher so in a way my exams couldn’t have gone much better and even then I wasn’t sure I’d get in for psychology which seems to be less competitive than law.

Definitely do modern studies, but it could be helpful to also do a science or maths? As I said I’m applying for psych and at higher I did RMPS, English, maths, physics and chemistry to show I can problem solve and think critically. This year I’m doing maths, physics and chem which aren’t too relevant to psych (except from maths) however they prove that I’m capable of doing “hard” subjects. I would’ve done RMPS but it wasn’t offered.
Please don’t get too fixed on oxbridge as it’s very competitive and many excellent applicants are unsuccessful but go on to have amazing times at other unis, but still there is no harm in trying as I said and I ended up being successful.

I honestly don’t know if there is any point in me trying though. At nat 5s I only got 4 A2 and 3B3 but I’m predicted for 5 A1s I don’t know if that is enough it’s probably not. I talked to the education advisor at my school and she said because of my family splitting up I could put that as a factor out with my control but there is probably no point in trying this. Oh well
Reply 8
Original post by Aaqsa
I honestly don’t know if there is any point in me trying though. At nat 5s I only got 4 A2 and 3B3 but I’m predicted for 5 A1s I don’t know if that is enough it’s probably not. I talked to the education advisor at my school and she said because of my family splitting up I could put that as a factor out with my control but there is probably no point in trying this. Oh well

Get 5 A1s at higher and do well in the admissions test and you should get an interview. Then do well in the interview. Highers would be more important than nat5 i think unless the uni says it requires any subjects at specific grades at gcse (English equivalent of nat5).

Unfortunately I’m not totally sure if your family splitting up would count too much as there may be others who mention something like this (or possibly their own serious illness or family deaths) and attain perfect grades, however you should still mention it as no harm will come from doing so, and 5 A1s at higher would show you’re capable.

You have 5 uni choices, no harm in making one of them Oxford.
Thanks i will probably still apply for oxford and see what happens but thanks for replying to my meltdown anyway 😂

Original post by El_21
Get 5 A1s at higher and do well in the admissions test and you should get an interview. Then do well in the interview. Highers would be more important than nat5 i think unless the uni says it requires any subjects at specific grades at gcse (English equivalent of nat5).

Unfortunately I’m not totally sure if your family splitting up would count too much as there may be others who mention something like this (or possibly their own serious illness or family deaths) and attain perfect grades, however you should still mention it as no harm will come from doing so, and 5 A1s at higher would show you’re capable.

You have 5 uni choices, no harm in making one of them Oxford.
Reply 10
Original post by Aaqsa
Thanks i will probably still apply for oxford and see what happens but thanks for replying to my meltdown anyway 😂

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending