The Student Room Group

Am I an idiot?

I work in a shop that sells alcohol, cigarettes and energy drinks. The other day I asked a lady for ID because we have a Think 25 policy, because I wasn’t sure how old she looked... But she got kinda pissed at me for it, saying she was 39 and didn’t have any ID on her...so i had to refuse the sale & couldn’t let her have the product.

I feel stupid because I’m only 18 myself, totally get why she’s mad since she was only buying an e-cig thing...am I just dumb or what? I can’t tell people’s ages at all, especially for think 25 I don’t know what a 25 year old looks like or a 35 year old...I’ve never been surrounded by people those ages so don’t know how to tell their ages!!!
Original post by Panickingdiscos
I work in a shop that sells alcohol, cigarettes and energy drinks. The other day I asked a lady for ID because we have a Think 25 policy, because I wasn’t sure how old she looked... But she got kinda pissed at me for it, saying she was 39 and didn’t have any ID on her...so i had to refuse the sale & couldn’t let her have the product.

I feel stupid because I’m only 18 myself, totally get why she’s mad since she was only buying an e-cig thing...am I just dumb or what? I can’t tell people’s ages at all, especially for think 25 I don’t know what a 25 year old looks like or a 35 year old...I’ve never been surrounded by people those ages so don’t know how to tell their ages!!!

You did allright and properly.

She was an idiot.
Not at all. I get that it’s awkward but in the long run it means you won’t end up selling alcohol to someone who is underage and lose your job. Better to be safe than sorry if you ask me!
He could lose his job by refusing to sell alcohol to 40 yr olds though
Tbf as annoying as it is being ID’d she should feel honoured you thought she could be young enough 😂 honestly though you aren’t at fault, even if you haven’t been around many people that age you know roughly if someone’s old enough so if she didn’t look over 25 or you couldn’t tell then that’s no fault of your own for obeying policy, it’s personal opinion after all so you shouldn’t get in trouble.

Hahahahaha , you did well cause its the policy but its funny LMFAO
Original post by 1Life_1Chance
Hahahahaha , you did well cause its the policy but its funny LMFAO

One of my most cringe moments ever ahahah
Original post by karelina
He could lose his job by refusing to sell alcohol to 40 yr olds

To me she looked 25 so...😂 She barely had any wrinkles lol
Reply 8
One of my most cringe moments ever ahahah

Maybe she was actually 25 or younger?🧐
Original post by A_J_B
Maybe she was actually 25 or younger?🧐

Idk lol😂 Age is a hard thing to guess
Reply 10
I work in a shop that sells alcohol, cigarettes and energy drinks. The other day I asked a lady for ID because we have a Think 25 policy, because I wasn’t sure how old she looked... But she got kinda pissed at me for it, saying she was 39 and didn’t have any ID on her...so i had to refuse the sale
(edited 4 years ago)

Working a service like that requires a basic form of communication - a poker face at the minimum and good people skills as a recommended.

Don't worry though, experience is your friend. The more you have interactions like that, the better and better and better you will become at your job provided you learn from your errors. You're not an idiot - you were just doing your job.

Additionally, I'm surprised she didn't thank you for the compliment.
Original post by Alaska215
Not at all. I get that it’s awkward but in the long run it means you won’t end up selling alcohol to someone who is underage and lose your job. Better to be safe than sorry if you ask me!

I don't know about the British regulations, but in my former country, he could even get a criminal report and fine or go to prison for selling without asking for age.

Original post by karelina
He could lose his job by refusing to sell alcohol to 40 yr olds though

Unemployment in the UK is lower than where I come from, and where I come from, people are so desperate for workers it's next to impossible to lose your job.
Has not he physically attacked his employer, there there shouldn't be much of a risk.

Original post by Jess.1819
Tbf as annoying as it is being ID’d she should feel honoured you thought she could be young enough

Exactly. Typically people who are over the legal age, are pleased for taking them younger than they are. Even men.

To me she looked 25 so...😂 She barely had any wrinkles lol

Some people don't look almost any different between 15 and 30 years old, so your doubts are perfectly reasonable.

Speaking of wrinkles, few people don't have any even when they're 50 years old, but you can tell they're at least 30 due to other features.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending