The Student Room Group

What one subject do you regret choosing for gcses?

Me I regret choosing history, Spanish and health and social care

Scroll to see replies

Music - don’t know how I even managed to pass it
triple science - complete waste of time
Original post by Anonymous 110
Me I regret choosing history, Spanish and health and social care

Textiles (should have done business instead)
Reply 4
Definitely History. I thought I liked it at first, but I hated the exam questions.
French because my teacher ignores me and has favouritism. It's like I'm invisible each lesson.
History because I like it before but it's too much to remember on the medicine topic. The conflict and tension topic is fairly easier to remember.
Textiles (Product Design) because I liked it before but when it came to year 9, we didn't have much theory lessons and weren't told about what to cover, it was just practical's. Now in year 10, I'm with Head of D&T, and he's a graphics teacher, so our class are basically doing 'graphics' now. in which I'm bad at!I used to have the teacher for year 7 and year 8, and he didn't like me- so you GOD for the 'right' path.
I just think teachers ignore and judge students before they meet them :frown:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Fire_Fox
Definitely History. I thought I liked it at first, but I hated the exam questions.

I liked history but I literally cannot get marks in the exam questions .. so now it’s a complete waste of time
I regretted Systems and Control (Cambridge National), because the teacher had no idea what he was doing. There was a student in our class who got Straight 9's and 8's in his Maths, French, English, Physics, Chem and Bio. This was the only subject he got an L2M (Grade 6) and he was upset. If a student who can almost get straight 8's and 9's in all of his subjects and does poorly in this one then who else is too blame. There were only 2 people in the whole class who actually passed. Me and The Guy who got Straight 8's and 9's. I got an L2P (Grade 5). And I'm a student who is predicted to get 8's and 9's in all my subjects as well (apart from English). Us 2 strongly blame the teacher as some of the top achieving students in the school managed to do soo poorly in this exam, and trust me, we worked really hard. The theory was easy however I believe the teacher told us the wrong thing for the coursework which made us do really badly. Keep in Mind out of 19 Students. Only 2 Actually Passed. No one in my class got a L2D or L2D* (Grade 8's and 9's)
(edited 4 years ago)
Geography
I liked my subjects. Maybe I should’ve stuck with combined stead of triple tho. Would’ve saved me a lot of stress tears and heartache
French everything else was great
Reply 11
Psychology bc theres so much content and its nit even as interesting as i thought it would be, criminal psychology is so disappointing lol they put the deadest parts in there. anyway definitely not choosing it for a levels
IT, but it was compulsory
Original post by studytheblurb
triple science - complete waste of time

How so?-
(im contemplating whether or not to take it, currently in combined (year 10) and i have been given the option to go triple)
Reply 14
Original post by naeology
Music - don’t know how I even managed to pass it

Ditto.
Original post by AlAshraf123
How so?-
(im contemplating whether or not to take it, currently in combined (year 10) and i have been given the option to go triple)

You can do combined. And still do science alevels at college. I was given the impression that doing combined means that you won’t get to do science Alevels but boy was I lied to. For t science I didn’t have great teachers and it was a lot more work when I could’ve done combined and gotten a 9-9
Reply 16
history :frown:
Graphics literally got an F because I cannot draw to save my life.
Food and nutrition. We had 2 teachers in 2 years who both left, so we ended up with no teacher. We couldn't do food GCSE anymore, so my school's alternative was a HPQ (it's a stupidly easy GCSE version of the EPQ worth half a GCSE). My only other realistic options were music or product design though (I would have failed art or drama) which I probably wouldn't have enjoyed.

I didn't regret doing triple science though. Of course it's not any more useful than combined science but I love the sciences and genuinely enjoyed the extra content I had to learn.
German because they kept setting us coursework which we were forced to revise for. We got set weekly languages tests too and you’d get detention if you didn’t get a certain %, and it took so much time away that I could have spent more productively revising other subjects :sadnod:
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest