melieee
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi! So...I've confirmed my university choices, with LLB (Law) at Cardiff as my firm choice and The University of Law as my insurance.
Now what?
Accommodation applications open mid-Feb and I still have lots of questions:
1. Do you have to apply for student finance before applying for accommodation?

2. When and how do you apply for student finance? - I'm an EU national and I heard I must apply by post, not online!

3. Should I expect any information in the post from Cardiff on what to do next?

4. When should I set up a student bank account?

5. Speaking of being an EU national (I probably won't get an answer on this one), I have a permanent residence card but have not yet applied for 'settled' status - is it necessary I do this before applying for student finance?

If anyone has any clue, help a gal out x
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How long have you lived in the EU?

If you’re applying for a maintenance loan based on long residency or being a migrant worker/child of a migrant worker then you apply online. The paper form is only for EU students who are only eligible for a tuition fee loan.

Student finance applications open end February/start March.

You can only get a student bank account when your firm offer is unconditional. Usually in the summer. You don’t need the bank account to apply for finance but you need to add it in the summer to get paid.
melieee
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by PQ)
How long have you lived in the EU?

If you’re applying for a maintenance loan based on long residency or being a migrant worker/child of a migrant worker then you apply online. The paper form is only for EU students who are only eligible for a tuition fee loan.

Student finance applications open end February/start March.

You can only get a student bank account when your firm offer is unconditional. Usually in the summer. You don’t need the bank account to apply for finance but you need to add it in the summer to get paid.

I've lived in the UK for almost 10 years, or since I was 7, but obviously I don't have British citizenship purely because I can't afford it (costs to apply come up to abou £1200). I had a look on gov.uk on the student finance page but the info isn't really clear in terms of how still being an EU national is going to affect my application process. Also, is there a different process to applying for a maintenance loan versus tuition fees loan?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by melieee)
I've lived in the UK for almost 10 years, or since I was 7, but obviously I don't have British citizenship purely because I can't afford it (costs to apply come up to abou £1200). I had a look on gov.uk on the student finance page but the info isn't really clear in terms of how still being an EU national is going to affect my application process. Also, is there a different process to applying for a maintenance loan versus tuition fees loan?
Apply online picking the option for “english student applying for the first time”.

The first few sets of questions will ask about your nationality and residency to check you’re eligible (and with nearly 10 years in the uk you are ) so even though it feels wrong to pick that option it is the correct one for someone in your situation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (80)
61.54%
No (50)
38.46%

Watched Threads