The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

2020 LSE Sociology Applicants?

I'm on the official LSE applicants thread, but I haven't seen a single Sociology applicant on there and since it's the course I've applied to, I wanted to meet other Socio applicants on this forum. It's a small department with a small pool of applicants normally, so I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't many.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by romantically-
I'm on the official LSE applicants thread, but I haven't seen a single Sociology applicant on there and since it's the course I've applied to, I wanted to meet other Socio applicants on this forum. It's a small department with a small pool of applicants normally, so I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't many.

Hi!!! I'm a fellow sociology applicant. Anyone heard anything back yet?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by k_rin_
Hi!!! I'm a fellow sociology applicant. Anyone heard anything back yet?

Woww you are the first person! I haven't heard back yet. Are you home/international/EU? What are your stats if you don't mind such as your predicted and other schools you applied to
Reply 3
Woww you are the first person! I haven't heard back yet. Are you home/international/EU? What are your stats if you don't mind such as your predicted and other schools you applied to

My predicted grades are:
A* - Sociology
A - Psychology
B - Biology
and I have applied to:
KCL (Social Sciences)
Warwick (Politics and Sociology)
Nottingham (Sociology and Social Policy)
Bristol (Politics and Sociology)
LSE (Sociology).
So far I've gotten offers from KCL, Warwick and Nottingham! But ideally, LSE is my first choice haha!! And im a home student hehe. How about u? :smile:
Original post by k_rin_
My predicted grades are:
A* - Sociology
A - Psychology
B - Biology
and I have applied to:
KCL (Social Sciences)
LSE (Sociology).
So far I've gotten offers from KCL, Warwick and Nottingham! But ideally, LSE is my first choice haha!! And im a home student hehe. How about u? :smile:

I'm American, so in the AP (Advanced Placement) system the highest score you can get is a 5. I've taken:
Psychology/Human Geography/Economics/Seminar/Environmental Science/Comparative Government and I got 5s on those and then 4 on English Language.
I applied to:
LSE (sociology)
UCL (sociology)
Bristol (sociology)
Kcl (social sciences)
Edinburgh (sociology)

I've gotten offers from all schools except for LSE and KCL of which I am still waiting for. I don't think I will get an offer from KCL because I wrote my entire PS specifically for sociology and even named the degree, so I think that would definitely deter them from my application.
Original post by Anonymous
I’m so grateful you started this thread!
My subjects and predicted grades are:
English lit A
Sociology A
Maths B
EPQ A
And I’ve applied to Warwick, Exeter, Bath, UEA and of course LSE. I think Bath’s my favourite and LSE is a bit of a long shot for me but it’s worth a try, you never know!

Hey! I don't think it's that much of a long shot since you meet the minimum entry requirements, so you got this! Have you heard back from anywhere yet?
Original post by k_rin_
My predicted grades are:
A* - Sociology
A - Psychology
B - Biology
and I have applied to:
KCL (Social Sciences)
LSE (Sociology).

Hey how did you write your PS to include all the different courses? I applied for similar courses but I'm really nervous my PS is not focussed enough for LSE
Reply 7
Hey how did you write your PS to include all the different courses? I applied for similar courses but I'm really nervous my PS is not focussed enough for LSE

Hi!! I really love both Sociology and Politics and it is my ideal course, but as LSE don't offer it, I opted for pure sociology. In terms of my PS, it was very sociology based as I kept linking back to it to show my understanding and interest for the subject. So, whenever I talked about politics, I'd be sure to add in sociological terms. For example, I mentioned that I ran my school's Model United Nations program which fuelled my interest in politics, and then I went on to say that the experience allowed me to consolidate my understanding of NGO's and the effects of globalisation. Government policies are at the core of sociology as its regulations shape society, so it's a lot easier to link back to it than you'd think.

Hope that made sense!! Let me know if I can be of any more help, wish you all the best with your application
Original post by k_rin_
Hi!! I really love both Sociology and Politics and it is my ideal course, but as LSE don't offer it, I opted for pure sociology. In terms of my PS, it was very sociology based as I kept linking back to it to show my understanding and interest for the subject. So, whenever I talked about politics, I'd be sure to add in sociological terms. For example, I mentioned that I ran my school's Model United Nations program which fuelled my interest in politics, and then I went on to say that the experience allowed me to consolidate my understanding of NGO's and the effects of globalisation. Government policies are at the core of sociology as its regulations shape society, so it's a lot easier to link back to it than you'd think.

Hope that made sense!! Let me know if I can be of any more help, wish you all the best with your application

Thank you so much! Didn't realise the last post was anonymous, sorry!! I submitted my application a while ago but I keep stressing about it :'')
Reply 9
Original post by yellowflamingo
Thank you so much! Didn't realise the last post was anonymous, sorry!! I submitted my application a while ago but I keep stressing about it :'')

Me too!!! I just want those two other responses back already 😭 It's all I think about while doing mocks revision

Hi, I just got an offer for sociology today!! I really did not think I would get it because they require a 6 in maths which I dont have, I have a 5
Hi, I just got an offer for sociology today!! I really did not think I would get it because they require a 6 in maths which I dont have, I have a 5

Wow that's amazing congrats! I also received an offer today! Now I'm torn between lse and ucl...
Wow that's amazing congrats! I also received an offer today! Now I'm torn between lse and ucl...

Aw congrats, I would suggest maybe looking at the modules list for both courses and comparing the two to see which one you prefer. I'm still waiting on UCL for social sciences, hopefully they'll get back to me soon
Hey, I'm a possible sociology student for 2020 :smile: I'm so glad someone made this thread because I've been dying to talk to people that are going/considering going
Original post by ser.shaughnessy
Hey, I'm a possible sociology student for 2020 :smile: I'm so glad someone made this thread because I've been dying to talk to people that are going/considering going

Where have you applied for
Where have you applied for

Sociology
Original post by ser.shaughnessy
Sociology

What other schools have you applied to?
Reply 17
Guys it took them long enough but HOLY CRAP I JUST GOT MY OFFER😭😭😭 we rly do be goin to lse
Original post by k_rin_
Guys it took them long enough but HOLY CRAP I JUST GOT MY OFFER😭😭😭 we rly do be goin to lse

WOWW that’s amazing! Huge congratulations! Is LSE your first choice?
Heyy I've applied for Language, Culture and Society which is a joint course between the sociology department and the language centre. Can't find any other linguists so thought I'd say hi to the sociologists ahhaa. Haven't got an offer yet but applied in October

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending