The Student Room Group

Higher history

Hey, so this year I’m crashing higher history as I was unable to do advanced higher geography due to timetable issues, does anyone know the best way to revise the content and essays as I’m struggling to do so
Reply 1
Original post by Katyyferrierr
Hey, so this year I’m crashing higher history as I was unable to do advanced higher geography due to timetable issues, does anyone know the best way to revise the content and essays as I’m struggling to do so

Hi, sorry to hear about your timetable issues. I didn't crash History but I did do Nat 5 and Higher. On the SQA website under History have a roam around (I think on the Course spec) and it lists essentials which are the very basic points you need to know - under whatever subjects you are doing within History. For essays remember the structure/ layout and then advance by putting in minimal points for each essay you have made. I also recorded myself arguing the essays as if I was in a debate and then listen to these back (sounds stupid but I got an A both years, this also works well for memorising assignments). There can seem like a lot of essays to memorise but what I did was try to narrow it down to the most likely ones that would turn up and then memorised these ones, obviously this is more risky but it's up to you what you decide to do. You could also write 'prompts' on flashcards, sit speaking your essay and these prompts can help, try and learn it with minimal times looking at essay. Also if you search for ways to memorise essays there are some good techniques out there, ensuring you have time to follow them. Keep going through past paper questions too, get familiar with the different type if questions and marking instructions. I also recommend the 'How to Pass Higher History' book but again up to you. Hope this is of some use - feel free to ask any other questions :smile:
Original post by AC79
Hi, sorry to hear about your timetable issues. I didn't crash History but I did do Nat 5 and Higher. On the SQA website under History have a roam around (I think on the Course spec) and it lists essentials which are the very basic points you need to know - under whatever subjects you are doing within History. For essays remember the structure/ layout and then advance by putting in minimal points for each essay you have made. I also recorded myself arguing the essays as if I was in a debate and then listen to these back (sounds stupid but I got an A both years, this also works well for memorising assignments). There can seem like a lot of essays to memorise but what I did was try to narrow it down to the most likely ones that would turn up and then memorised these ones, obviously this is more risky but it's up to you what you decide to do. You could also write 'prompts' on flashcards, sit speaking your essay and these prompts can help, try and learn it with minimal times looking at essay. Also if you search for ways to memorise essays there are some good techniques out there, ensuring you have time to follow them. Keep going through past paper questions too, get familiar with the different type if questions and marking instructions. I also recommend the 'How to Pass Higher History' book but again up to you. Hope this is of some use - feel free to ask any other questions :smile:

Thank you so much, what topics did you do in higher?
Reply 3
Thank you so much, what topics did you do in higher?

No worries also BBC Bitesize can be good - I forgot to say! I did The Crusades, Britain (18something - something, cant remember the exact years now) and The Wars of Scottish Independence :smile:
Original post by AC79
No worries also BBC Bitesize can be good - I forgot to say! I did The Crusades, Britain (18something - something, cant remember the exact years now) and The Wars of Scottish Independence :smile:

I also do the wars of independence but we do the slave trade and the USA
Reply 5
I also do the wars of independence but we do the slave trade and the USA

Ah I see well if you need help understanding anything give me a shout, slave trade was a topic I did in N5

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending