The Student Room Group

The Hunger games in the real world

Should we have a hunger games every year in the real world? It should take place once a year and participants can be volunteers and even prisoners who will then be rewarded by releasing until their next offence. I'd say it will work and help decrease the murders/knife crime/gun crimes by allowing it in the games.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Should we have a hunger games every year in the real world? It should take place once a year and participants can be volunteers and even prisoners who will then be rewarded by releasing until their next offence. I'd say it will work and help decrease the murders/knife crime/gun crimes by allowing it in the games.

That's already the plot of the movie The Running Man (1987) :biggrin:
so like daily america?
Reply 3
Original post by CTLeafez
That's already the plot of the movie The Running Man (1987) :biggrin:

Impossible... Hunger games came out wayyyyy after
Reply 4
Original post by Glaz
so like daily america?

But in this case, not shooting anyone on the street but individuals who were willing to give up their life or who were sentenced for life (inevitably giving up their life.) Tbh, this event would help clear prisons, reduce population size, reduce climate change, get rid of killers/murderers and hence make more efficient use of resources and money in the long run.
Reply 5
District 13 is the military district - I think they have good food. District 12 was the one suffering most imo. So district 13 may give you pizza...
Reply 6
I haven't read the book, but after watching the film Im thinking of reading the book. I just hope descriptions in the story are very vivid

No. People don't kill people just because they have the urge to, this isn't the purge, they won't 'get killing out their system' by killing some random person in an arena. Tackling issues causing violent crime would probably be a better method than making the poor kill each other for the entertainment of the rich. And rewarding people for murdering more people doesn't sound like a good plan to me.
Also I'm a p*ssy and don't wanna get murdered.
Of course everyone loved the Capitol in the Hunger Games...
Original post by tubphonecase
No. People don't kill people just because they have the urge to, this isn't the purge, they won't 'get killing out their system' by killing some random person in an arena. Tackling issues causing violent crime would probably be a better method than making the poor kill each other for the entertainment of the rich. And rewarding people for murdering more people doesn't sound like a good plan to me.

As a p*ssy, i agree.

But killers are more likely to wait each year to kill rather than take it out on an innocent person, because it is unpunishable. Hunting/Killing is part of our genes... we are meant to live in the wild and not in a manmade civilised city. Tackling issue = violent crime decreases = population increases = resources such as food and fuel run out = people begin fighting = mass killings that is not moral and unreasonable for food.
Original post by GreenCub
Of course everyone loved the Capitol in the Hunger Games...

Obviously, even I didn't like the capitol because:
children were taken randomly and it was just between 12-17(?)
Money only went to capitol while district suffered
Soldier and president was ruthless - killing to induce fear and keep dictator leadership

Capitol would have been liked if:
they took volunteers and prisoners
money was evenly spent across districts (in our case, it would to developing countries and poor)
I don't think any country is powerful enough to force this dictatorship
But killers are more likely to wait each year to kill rather than take it out on an innocent person, because it is unpunishable. Hunting/Killing is part of our genes... we are meant to live in the wild and not in a manmade civilised city. Tackling issue = violent crime decreases = population increases = resources such as food and fuel run out = people begin fighting = mass killings that is not moral and unreasonable for food.

Random killings are incredibly rare, murders are almost always targeted. And when they are random, the perpetrator rarely just kills the person.
I am a human and can solidly say I don't have an instinctual drive to kill people, I don't think you're right there.
And you're saying tackling issues of violent crime will lead to mass killings? That isn't even a jump, that's a whole pole vault.
Random killings are incredibly rare, murders are almost always targeted. And when they are random, the perpetrator rarely just kills the person.
I am a human and can solidly say I don't have an instinctual drive to kill people, I don't think you're right there.
And you're saying tackling issues of violent crime will lead to mass killings? That isn't even a jump, that's a whole pole vault.

You don't. But most do - only suppressed by police
It won't lead to mass killings now, but in the future it will - give it about 50-100 years when population peaks.
Also nothing is ever ordered (unchaotic) - it always tends to disorder - look up entropy - doesn't just apply to chemistry, but applies to everything, and hence we will kill.
You don't. But most do - only suppressed by police
It won't lead to mass killings now, but in the future it will - give it about 50-100 years when population peaks.
Also nothing is ever ordered (unchaotic) - it always tends to disorder - look up entropy - doesn't just apply to chemistry, but applies to everything, and hence we will kill.

Dude you're telling me that most people have constant urge to murder people? That kinda sounds like a you problem if I'm honest.
How will tackling violent crime lead to population peaking? Violent crime, like most crime, is generally caused by poverty and economic disparity and poor people have more children (throughout history and throughout he world), so if people weren't poor they'd have fewer children and the population won't increase in the way you think.
This is the wackiest argument I've ever seen haha.
Dude you're telling me that most people have constant urge to murder people? That kinda sounds like a you problem if I'm honest.
How will tackling violent crime lead to population peaking? Violent crime, like most crime, is generally caused by poverty and economic disparity and poor people have more children (throughout history and throughout he world), so if people weren't poor they'd have fewer children and the population won't increase in the way you think.
This is the wackiest argument I've ever seen haha.

no not really. But you can set off the urge easily by anger. We have been tamed but it can be brought back again
how does number of children correlate to amount of wealth they have?
tbh i got an med interview tomorrow so im trying not to worry too much. this post was a troll lmao
no not really. But you can set off the urge easily by anger. We have been tamed but it can be brought back again
how does number of children correlate to amount of wealth they have?
tbh i got an med interview tomorrow so im trying not to worry too much. this post was a troll lmao

The children correlation thing is a phenomenon seen throughout history and geography where there is a negative correlation between wealth and number of children - it's super interesting to look into.
Good luck with your interview :biggrin:
ohh I had a rough idea but didn't know tbh
Thank you :smile: Have a good day/night too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending