The Student Room Group

Law to Medicine?

Hi guys,

I'm in the first year a level and had aspirations of studying law. But now I'm thinking about going into medicine however the options I chose: English Literature, Psychology, and History won't let me get into it. Note these are not medical subjects and more fit for the law. I am unsure of what to do. Please can anyone give advice on what to do or let me know if I can get into Medicine with these subjects. Please note my dad is a doctor, my older brother is studying medicine and little brother has some aspirations in the medical field. I am unsure if I can study medicine with these options and if I will get a chance to, or am I just overthinking and stressing out?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, Amaad

Note- please do not message this thread anymore. I probably need some time to think. Thanks for the help, I will message if anything changes.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi guys,

I'm in the first year a level and had aspirations of studying law. But now I'm thinking about going into medicine however the options I chose: English Literature, Psychology, and History won't let me get into it. Note these are not medical subjects and more fit for the law. I am unsure of what to do. Please can anyone give advice on what to do or let me know if I can get into Medicine with these subjects. Please note my dad is a doctor, my older brother is studying medicine and little brother has some aspirations in the medical field. I am unsure if I can study medicine with these options and if I will get a chance to, or am I just overthinking and stressing out?

Thanks
Reply 2
the honest answer, I don't know I feel like Law is seen down upon. There's quite a lot of doctors and lawyers in the family like my dad being a doctor and now a GP. medicine does seem interesting to me and I found it interesting. I feel like the black sheep if you understand me. I worked at an elderly care home and a pharmacy for a brief time.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
I see your point, but people see taking the law as the easy route and make me think like maybe it's correct.
Reply 4
But medicine seems like something I can relate to with my dad and siblings.

Also, what is GEM and how does it work?
Original post by amaad02
But medicine seems like something I can relate to with my dad and siblings.

Also, what is GEM and how does it work?

I did law with all the wrong qualifications. But I’m not sure about the other way around. Law is certainly easier to get into than it used to be but do what you enjoy. I’m a lawyer trying to change careers because it doesn’t suit me. You need something that suits you. And I mean more than it’s just something my family do.
Sorry to be so blunt, but medicine has a huge workload(so is law) and you haven’t done any science Alevels, so how do you know you’ll enjoy it?
Reply 7
I understand, my older brother is really supportive and he wants what's best. My dad says do law then go into teaching.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by roadtollb
Sorry to be so blunt, but medicine has a huge workload(so is law) and you haven’t done any science Alevels, so how do you know you’ll enjoy it?

I don't know I just feel really unsure.
Original post by amaad02
Hi guys,

Thanks

Hi there,

You’ll need to take Chemistry at least, and realistically 1 or 2 other Science subjects (Psychology may just about count). The best thing you could do if you really want to do medicine is swap English Lit for Chemistry, then work hard to get amazing grades, work experience etc. You’ll need strong GCSEs and good A Level predictions. However, at this stage in A Levels it is unlikely you’ll be able to switch and catch up unless you can get a tutor over the Summer holidays perhaps. It isn’t impossible but would be very difficult. It’s worth speaking to a careers tutor or form teacher at school, but you may even need to redo the year and start again with eg Chemistry, Biology and Psychology to improve your chances.

Alternatively, you could do a normal undergrad (maybe in Law, but you might be able to do Psychology/Biology/Anatomy which would be better) and then convert into medicine by doing a post grad course. This may be a better option if you don’t want to delay things by a year. Either way you’ll need good grades in whatever A Levels you take.

I would question though that Law and Medicine are quite different. I presume you chose your A Levels because you enjoy them and are good at them, so it is a bit odd to want to switch to Sciences unless you genuinely have an aptitude for both skill sets. Either way, don’t make the decision lightly, as (I’m sure you know) Medicine is incredibly competitive and a lot of hard work. Speak to your school for more detailed advice as they can give you a better idea and maybe have a conversation with your parents too.
Reply 10
Original post by amaad02
Hi guys,

Thanks, Amaad

Hi,

Thank you for the advice. I do appreciate it and will think about it.
Reply 11
Original post by Mona123456
Hi there,

You’ll need to take Chemistry at least, and realistically 1 or 2 other Science subjects (Psychology may just about count). The best thing you could do if you really want to do medicine is swap English Lit for Chemistry, then work hard to get amazing grades, work experience etc. You’ll need strong GCSEs and good A Level predictions. However, at this stage in A Levels it is unlikely you’ll be able to switch and catch up unless you can get a tutor over the Summer holidays perhaps. It isn’t impossible but would be very difficult. It’s worth speaking to a careers tutor or form teacher at school, but you may even need to redo the year and start again with eg Chemistry, Biology and Psychology to improve your chances.

Alternatively, you could do a normal undergrad (maybe in Law, but you might be able to do Psychology/Biology/Anatomy which would be better) and then convert into medicine by doing a post grad course. This may be a better option if you don’t want to delay things by a year. Either way you’ll need good grades in whatever A Levels you take.

I would question though that Law and Medicine are quite different. I presume you chose your A Levels because you enjoy them and are good at them, so it is a bit odd to want to switch to Sciences unless you genuinely have an aptitude for both skill sets. Either way, don’t make the decision lightly, as (I’m sure you know) Medicine is incredibly competitive and a lot of hard work. Speak to your school for more detailed advice as they can give you a better idea and maybe have a conversation with your parents too.

Hi,

Original post by amaad02
Hi,

You’re welcome. I’ve just done a quick Google and will also add that a medical degree with a foundation year could be a compromise and allow you to continue with your current A Levels.

One such degree is:

https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2020/01430/mbchb-medicine-6-years-including-foundation-year/#course-profile

Best of luck!
Reply 13
You’re welcome. I’ve just done a quick Google and will also add that a medical degree with a foundation year could be a compromise and allow you to continue with your current A Levels.

One such degree is:

https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2020/01430/mbchb-medicine-6-years-including-foundation-year/#course-profile

Best of luck!

Thank you, I'm just going to think long and hard before I do it.
It sound like there is a family expectation for all the children to be a professional (ie in your case either be a Doctor or a Lawyer). First of all you need to explore on what degree subjects you are really interested in. Secondly you need to have some insight into having a career in either medicine or law. To do law there are not specific subjects requirement whereas to do medicine your have to have level in Chemistry (essential), biology (most medical school require this) and a third subject (ideally a third STEM subject such as maths or physics).
As others have mentioned you can always get into medical school after doing a degree (a first or a upper second class degree) by going through the GEM (Graduate Entry Medicine) which is a four year course.
If you did medicine it is still possible to be a lawyer if you wish by doing a two years law conversion course.
Original post by amaad02
Thank you, I'm just going to think long and hard before I do it.

Good. There are so many factors to consider and it is a big decision so take your time. Make sure you research the course structures, modules, type of teaching and assessment, workload, etc as well as Unis, accommodation, social life, entry requirements. Perhaps try reading some medical books and law books and see which ones you enjoy more (your family or school may eg have access to the BMJ for example). Also - sounds a bit silly, but don’t let anyone else pressure you into medicine. I’ve seen it happen and it’s not good. It’s such a demanding degree and career, it 100% has to be you that wants to do it, not your parents, teachers or anyone else. Same goes for law really. YouTube talks / TED talks and free lectures may be worth considering too to understand more about the different fields. Work experience in a local hospital and with a legal firm might also give you a better insight into what a day to day job could be like. But yes - take your time, and rest assured knowing that whichever path you choose there is still time to make it happen and they are both great degrees and careers if you’re bright and work hard.
Reply 16
Thank you all for the advice.
Much appreciated.
Reply 17
Good. There are so many factors to consider and it is a big decision so take your time. Make sure you research the course structures, modules, type of teaching and assessment, workload, etc as well as Unis, accommodation, social life, entry requirements. Perhaps try reading some medical books and law books and see which ones you enjoy more (your family or school may eg have access to the BMJ for example). Also - sounds a bit silly, but don’t let anyone else pressure you into medicine. I’ve seen it happen and it’s not good. It’s such a demanding degree and career, it 100% has to be you that wants to do it, not your parents, teachers or anyone else. Same goes for law really. YouTube talks / TED talks and free lectures may be worth considering too to understand more about the different fields. Work experience in a local hospital and with a legal firm might also give you a better insight into what a day to day job could be like. But yes - take your time, and rest assured knowing that whichever path you choose there is still time to make it happen and they are both great degrees and careers if you’re bright and work hard.

will do, thanks for the advice

Quick Reply

Latest