The Student Room Group

OCR FSMQ - Add maths

I'm doing the fsmq for add maths, and I have know idea what I'm doing...any help??
It's free-standing qualification, level 3, which serves a really good bridge to A-Level Maths. Here is a link to some past papers, if you need any further, more specific, advice feel free to ask, I sat it last year, on the new spec:

https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/537601-question-paper.pdf
Original post by robertgallacher
It's free-standing qualification, level 3, which serves a really good bridge to A-Level Maths. Here is a link to some past papers, if you need any further, more specific, advice feel free to ask, I sat it last year, on the new spec:

ok thank you so much
Original post by robertgallacher

I phrased my question really badly- I’m trying to ask how to get better at the topics/how difficult is it to get an A and does it acc help with a levels?
Original post by PizzaMan2989
I phrased my question really badly- I’m trying to ask how to get better at the topics/how difficult is it to get an A and does it acc help with a levels?

Helps hugely with A Levels. Not too difficult if you put the time in and have a good teacher (and if you’re naturally good at maths of course). Some people I know crammed for a few days before and got As or Bs. It’s doable if you’re mathematically minded.

Helpful document I used (it was for the old spec so doesn’t completely cover the new qualification but is still useful):

https://ourmathswebsite.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/add_maths_rev_guide-1.pdf
Original post by Mona123456
Helps hugely with A Levels. Not too difficult if you put the time in and have a good teacher (and if you’re naturally good at maths of course). Some people I know crammed for a few days before and got As or Bs. It’s doable if you’re mathematically minded.

Helpful document I used (it was for the old spec so doesn’t completely cover the new qualification but is still useful):

https://ourmathswebsite.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/add_maths_rev_guide-1.pdf

Oh wow thanks - bit random, but do you get your results when a level results come out? Also what subjects did u take for a levels?
Oh wow thanks - bit random, but do you get your results when a level results come out? Also what subjects did u take for a levels?

Yes, you can get your Add Maths result on A Level results day, but though most people I know just waited to collect them on GCSE results day. I’m in my final year of A Levels and take Maths, Physics, Economics and Further Maths.
Yes, you can get your Add Maths result on A Level results day, but though most people I know just waited to collect them on GCSE results day. I’m in my final year of A Levels and take Maths, Physics, Economics and Further Maths.

Ok thanks, how did you find GCSE maths (what grade) and how are you finding a levels maths and further. Did u do the add maths paper?
Ok thanks, how did you find GCSE maths (what grade) and how are you finding a levels maths and further. Did u do the add maths paper?

I got a 9 in GCSE Maths and also took Add Maths (got an A which was the top grade when I did it). I’m finding Maths A Level fine and Further Maths A Level okay too. Normal A Level isn’t too bad if you stay on top of homework and do lots of practice and textbook questions. Further Maths is definitely a step up and in some ways parallels the first term of a Maths degree. It certainly is challenging and takes a lot of work (on average one homework can take 5+ hours lol) but if you put the effort in and are naturally a gifted and hard working mathematician it’s doable. I’d say, AS Maths is fairly easy (roughly the same difficulty as Add Maths), Maths A2 is a bit harder, Further Maths AS is similar to Maths A2 in difficulty (so maybe like a 6 or 7 out of 10) then Further Maths A2 jumps up a lot and it a solid 9/10 or more. But, just to emphasise it is doable and very worthwhile taking Further Maths A Level if you can manage the heavy workload and if you’re aiming for a maths related degree at a top Uni. Good luck!
I got a 9 in GCSE Maths and also took Add Maths (got an A which was the top grade when I did it). I’m finding Maths A Level fine and Further Maths A Level okay too. Normal A Level isn’t too bad if you stay on top of homework and do lots of practice and textbook questions. Further Maths is definitely a step up and in some ways parallels the first term of a Maths degree. It certainly is challenging and takes a lot of work (on average one homework can take 5+ hours lol) but if you put the effort in and are naturally a gifted and hard working mathematician it’s doable. I’d say, AS Maths is fairly easy (roughly the same difficulty as Add Maths), Maths A2 is a bit harder, Further Maths AS is similar to Maths A2 in difficulty (so maybe like a 6 or 7 out of 10) then Further Maths A2 jumps up a lot and it a solid 9/10 or more. But, just to emphasise it is doable and very worthwhile taking Further Maths A Level if you can manage the heavy workload and if you’re aiming for a maths related degree at a top Uni. Good luck!

Ok thanks a lot!!
This might be a really stupid question but would you say engineering is a maths related degree
Ok thanks a lot!!
This might be a really stupid question but would you say engineering is a maths related degree

Yes, in my opinion engineering is a maths related degree. Further Maths A Level isn't essential, but definitely helps, and really helps if you're applying to e.g. Oxbridge/Durham/Imperial. That being said, any 3 or 4 A Levels from Maths, Physics, Biology, Chemistry and Further Maths would be a good combination for most Unis.
Yes, in my opinion engineering is a maths related degree. Further Maths A Level isn't essential, but definitely helps, and really helps if you're applying to e.g. Oxbridge/Durham/Imperial. That being said, any 3 or 4 A Levels from Maths, Physics, Biology, Chemistry and Further Maths would be a good combination for most Unis.

Ok, thanks - I'm thinking of maths, further maths, chemistry, and physics. I hope the workload doesn't kill me!!
Ok, thanks - I'm thinking of maths, further maths, chemistry, and physics. I hope the workload doesn't kill me!!

I know people who’ve done that combination. They complement each other quite well, as e.g. there are small overlaps between Chemistry and Physics, a bit of overlap between Chemistry and Maths and a fair bit of overlap between Physics and Maths. There’s no harm starting 4 though, and you can always drop one if need be.

Are you in Year 11 at the minute? If so, good luck with GCSEs!
Yeah if I do I feel as if it will be chemistry but we’ll see because I like chemistry as much as physics, and then maths and further maths is just a tiny bit lower than those two
Yess I am, thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest