Need help choosing a foundation course

Watch
AliMQ
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hello
I’m planning on attending an engineering foundation year course this september or jan 2021 but I’ll only have 6 IGCSEs finished this june. Another problem is that I’ll be 16 years old, so a lot of universities won’t take me. The main two options I got are De Montfort University or Northumbria University but I’ve heard that Northumbria university’s foundation course isn’t officially recognized. Any advice on where I should study? There are too many options and it’s pretty overwhelming
Last edited by AliMQ; 2 months ago
loose_change
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Why are you not taking your A-Levels for regular route into university?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by AliMQ)
Hello
I’m planning on attending an engineering foundation year course this september or jan 2021 but I’ll only have 6 IGCSEs finished this june. Another problem is that I’ll be 16 year olds, so a lot of universities won’t take me. The main two options I got are De Montfort University or Northumbria University but I’ve heard that Northumbria university’s foundation course isn’t officially recognized. Any advice on where I should study? There are too many options and it’s pretty overwhelming
Take A levels (you can take them in the UK at a bunch of schools for less than a foundation year and it wont eat into your visa allowance for university). You’ll have FAR more choice of university than taking a shabby foundation year from into/kaplan/similar companies.

NO foundation year courses are officially recognised. You don’t get a recognised qualification.
AliMQ
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Take A levels (you can take them in the UK at a bunch of schools for less than a foundation year and it wont eat into your visa allowance for university). You’ll have FAR more choice of university than taking a shabby foundation year from into/kaplan/similar companies.

NO foundation year courses are officially recognised. You don’t get a recognised qualification.
My parents want to send me to foundation year and I can’t do much about it except choose where i’ll be doing my foundation course.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by AliMQ)
My parents want to send me to foundation year and I can’t do much about it except choose where i’ll be doing my foundation course.
You could research alternatives and make a case for why you shouldn’t be rushing onto a profit making, cash cow foundation year that wouldn’t give you a recognised qualification or options to apply to degrees outside a limited list.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
For example Bellerbys allow fast track A levels in a year https://www.bellerbys.com/find-your-course/a-level

Lots of other colleges will allow the same.
AliMQ
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
You could research alternatives and make a case for why you shouldn’t be rushing onto a profit making, cash cow foundation year that wouldn’t give you a recognised qualification or options to apply to degrees outside a limited list.
I’ve tried so many times, it won’t make a difference. I’m going to foundation year regardless of what I do. What’s the best option I have?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by AliMQ)
I’ve tried so many times, it won’t make a difference. I’m going to foundation year regardless of what I do. What’s the best option I have?
Bellerbys also offer foundation years. Their reputation is based on their ability to send students to a wide range of universities (rather than a deal like into/kaplan where students are funnelled into a small number of universities paying a commission). You still wouldn't have a qualification but the foundation year there is more widely recognised.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (245)
60.49%
No (83)
20.49%
Not sure (77)
19.01%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise