The Student Room Group

Scholarships from independent/private organisations

Hi, people.

Since no one answered my previous post about this, I'm asking once more.

Can anyone suggest me any independent/private organisations that provide scholarships for students who want to apply to European med schools?

I'm a fencer and I have some medals earned from tournaments. If the organisations\scholarships are sport related that's even better but if not, it's okay.

Thanks already and please help me out this time. It's a little urgent.
I think there is a website called WeMakeScholars and you can plug in your nationality and where you want to study, etc. and they find any scholarships available, including independent/private ones as well. Hope this helps!
Original post by TheRedJane
Hi, people.

Since no one answered my previous post about this, I'm asking once more.

Can anyone suggest me any independent/private organisations that provide scholarships for students who want to apply to European med schools?

I'm a fencer and I have some medals earned from tournaments. If the organisations\scholarships are sport related that's even better but if not, it's okay.

Thanks already and please help me out this time. It's a little urgent.

Have a think through why anyone would set up a scholarship like this. Permanent endowments that pay for scholarships are a lump sum donation from a philanthropist (a donor, who gets nothing in return for giving away this money).

The investment market varies, but in general, the money spent on a scholarship each year is 3% of the capital sum donated. So if you want to give a scholarship of £12,000 per year, you need to donate a sum of £400,000. So to pay for a scholarship for one student to go to Med School, for one year, overseas, at about 60k for the year, would require an endowment of about £2m.

So given we've got one of the best medical education systems in the world in the UK, I think your chances of a philanthropist paying for someone from the UK to go overseas to do medicine is vanishingly small.
Original post by threeportdrift
Have a think through why anyone would set up a scholarship like this. Permanent endowments that pay for scholarships are a lump sum donation from a philanthropist (a donor, who gets nothing in return for giving away this money).

The investment market varies, but in general, the money spent on a scholarship each year is 3% of the capital sum donated. So if you want to give a scholarship of £12,000 per year, you need to donate a sum of £400,000. So to pay for a scholarship for one student to go to Med School, for one year, overseas, at about 60k for the year, would require an endowment of about £2m.

So given we've got one of the best medical education systems in the world in the UK, I think your chances of a philanthropist paying for someone from the UK to go overseas to do medicine is vanishingly small.

Yeah exactly

The UK has excellent Medical Schools, some of the best in the World. I don't really see a reason in paying for someone to attend there, when there are scholarships for students at UK Medical Schools

Most people I know who apply to European Med Schools don't get the A-Level Grades required or get an offer. I am not saying this is you but I don't think you can expect someone to pay for you if you don't meet the standard here, you know what I mean. Obviously there are people rich parents who don't get in and their parents pay for them to go to Cyprus, I know a few but I don't think a Scholarship would cover this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending