The Student Room Group

Audition song

Next month I have an audition for a drama school, I will have to perform a monologue, sing a song from a musical and we will be doing a choreographed dance that they will teach us. I've already got my monologue sorted out but I need help picking out a song and what should I expect from the dance part. I'm 16 and a mezzo soprano.
Original post by gcseyr11
Next month I have an audition for a drama school, I will have to perform a monologue, sing a song from a musical and we will be doing a choreographed dance that they will teach us. I've already got my monologue sorted out but I need help picking out a song and what should I expect from the dance part. I'm 16 and a mezzo soprano.

Hey, I used to be into drama so I’ve done a few auditions for drama schools (I didn’t get into any :/ but I can still give advise for what I’ve heard :smile: ) so

- Try not to do something that’s over-done, the judges will be hearing that song a lot, but if you can find a slightly more unique one they’ll remember you better/you’ll stand out (pretty much stay away from Wicked and Les Miserables)

-Remember they aren’t expecting you to be perfect, that’s what you’d be studying for, pick a song that shows off what you can do really well but try to have a dynamic one with maybe a little belting

Some good ones I’ve seen for a mezzo are:

- Down By the Sea [Sweeney Todd] (if you can go low enough, it’s quite low)

- Letterbomb [American Idiot]

-Kindergarten Boyfriend [Heathers]

Another point to add is it should ideally be a song you enjoy and it’ll shine through :smile: I’m here to talk more in detail if you want to, what school are you auditioning for? I was MGA in Edinburgh
Not Kindergarten boyfriend. It’s not the sort of song panels like to see and doesn’t show off what you can do.

Something legit is always good. Rogers & Hammerstein etc.

Are you auditioning for a Level 3 or Level 6 course? It depends on the school but most dance auditions consist of a ballet & a jazz class.
Try drake

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending