The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Arabs in Liverpool

Why doesnt the univeristy of liverpool have an arabs/ MENA society?? Is the city not very multicultural?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Why doesnt the univeristy of liverpool have an arabs/ MENA society?? Is the city not very multicultural?
The university (like every other large UK university) is very culturally diserve. The city itself is less so, with a large majority white population. There are areas within South Liverpool particularly that are very diverse ethnically and culturally. North Liverpool you don't see as much diversity. However, tbat doesn't affect what societies a university guild of students does and doesn't have. If someone wants to start a MENA society they can if they fulfill certain criteria and get approval from the guild. I'd also suggest that the presence of societies shouldn't be top of your list of factors if you're looking at choosing a university either
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
The university (like every other large UK university) is very culturally diserve. The city itself is less so, with a large majority white population. There are areas within South Liverpool particularly that are very diverse ethnically and culturally. North Liverpool you don't see as much diversity. However, tbat doesn't affect what societies a university guild of students does and doesn't have. If someone wants to start a MENA society they can if they fulfill certain criteria and get approval from the guild. I'd also suggest that the presence of societies shouldn't be top of your list of factors if you're looking at choosing a university either

Thank you for your response first of all, it really helps as I'm so torn about which offer to confirm that it is stressing me massively...

Both the universities I'm torn between are amazing for my course, same with accommodation options etc. I'm being picky with small things to decide where I'd be happier living. Ideally, I'd like to meet people from my ethnic background and be able to make friends i can relate to properly if that makes sense. Would you, in your opinion, say Liverpool is less diverse than the likes of renowned student cities like Leeds, Nottingham and Manchester?
Thank you for your response first of all, it really helps as I'm so torn about which offer to confirm that it is stressing me massively...

Both the universities I'm torn between are amazing for my course, same with accommodation options etc. I'm being picky with small things to decide where I'd be happier living. Ideally, I'd like to meet people from my ethnic background and be able to make friends i can relate to properly if that makes sense. Would you, in your opinion, say Liverpool is less diverse than the likes of renowned student cities like Leeds, Nottingham and Manchester?
I would say no, Liverpool University is not less diverse than other universities listed there. The city itself is less diserve than some, but you're going to be mixing within a student community and university sub-culture. Does this mean you're not going to leave the uni campus? Of course you will. But you're unlikely to be making meaningful friendships and connecting to communities outside your university to be honest.

Have you been to open days and offer-holder days at all your institutions?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by 04MR17
I would say no, Liverpool University is not less diverse than other universities listed there. The city itself is less diserve than some, but you're going to be mixing within a student community and university sub-culture. Does this mean you're not going to leave the uni campus? Of course you will. But you're unlikely to be making meaningful friendships and connecting to communities outside your university to be honest.

Have you been to open days and offer-holder days at all your institutions?

None of the applicant visit days are until mid-Feb, however, I feel a little pressed for time as the accommodations I have my eyes on are selling out very very fast.

I visited Liverpool last week for a viewing of the accommodation which i LOVED, although i was not sold by the city. Saying this, we only drove around for about fifteen minutes and I'm visiting again in 3 weeks for the offer-holder day.

The other university, Uni of Leeds, I feel more drawn towards, however, I do not love the accommodation space as much and its further away from the city centre/ uni than the one in Liverpool which is a 5 minute walk from everything.

The reason why accommodation is also a big thing is because I've chosen to rent with private student accommodation companies, who have both confirmed i will be able to stay there for my entire time at university, given I renew the agreement each year.
None of the applicant visit days are until mid-Feb, however, I feel a little pressed for time as the accommodations I have my eyes on are selling out very very fast.

I visited Liverpool last week for a viewing of the accommodation which i LOVED, although i was not sold by the city. Saying this, we only drove around for about fifteen minutes and I'm visiting again in 3 weeks for the offer-holder day.

The other university, Uni of Leeds, I feel more drawn towards, however, I do not love the accommodation space as much and its further away from the city centre/ uni than the one in Liverpool which is a 5 minute walk from everything.

The reason why accommodation is also a big thing is because I've chosen to rent with private student accommodation companies, who have both confirmed i will be able to stay there for my entire time at university, given I renew the agreement each year.
Okay, so in terms of accommodation, don't assume that you will want to stay in the same private halls for 3 years (change can be good) but it's nice you've got that option. As cities they're both pretty decent in terms of transport links to the rest of the country (though Liverpool is perhaps a tad stronger there), they both have a good variety of shops (Leeds maybe has more) and interesting things to do (Liverpool especially). I'd seriously consider vsiting both again and just seeing which place makes you happier. If you're interested in Study Abroad look at the options available to you from each institution, drill down into how flexible each course is with taking electives and what sorts of modules are out there that you may be interested in too. Look at Nationnal Student Survey data for your course, especially things on the availability of resources for your course and teaching and learning facillities. NSS was designed to help applicants compare courses. How open does the SU/GoS feel to you? What opportunities for volunteering and other societies are available?

Long old list of factors, and you can decide which are more important to you.
(edited 4 years ago)

The university does have an Arab Society - https://www.liverpoolguild.org/groups/arab-society--5
Reply 7
Original post by Edminzodo
The university does have an Arab Society - https://www.liverpoolguild.org/groups/arab-society--5

Your link seems to redirect me to this page instead https://freshstudentliving.co.uk/property/the-lantern/?utm_source=Display&utm_medium=Banners&utm_campaign=Student_Room_18/19&utm_term=Liverpool&utm_content=728%20x%2090

However, i just checked the guild wesbite again, and it appears they do! They must have updated it or something, thank you so much, this was very relieving for some reason :smile:
Hello
im planning to go to the university of liverpool as well! i was also wondering about the arab community.Hoepfully there are arabs so we can both feel safe about this situation haha! I have a friend there and she told me that there is! So no need to worry! Where are you from?
(edited 4 years ago)
Hello!
Im planning to go study at the university of liverpool since ive gotten an offer. I was wondering if there are arabs there? syrians , palestinians , jordanians and lebanese to be specific.

Thank you!

Yes, as with all UK unis its a community with many people from a wide spread of races & cultures.
https://www.liverpoolguild.org/groups/arab-society--5
Original post by mnot
Yes, as with all UK unis its a community with many people from a wide spread of races & cultures.
https://www.liverpoolguild.org/groups/arab-society--5

Oh thats good then! ive heard that liverpool doesnt have many arabs and specifically the nationalities that i mentioned.

Thank you
Original post by deelbreak
As an arab student, im willing to know about liverpool before going to university there since i got an offer. Is the city friendly? and also is it easy to travel to manchester and london?

yes is easy to travel to Manchester and London. The train station is not that far from the university, you need approximately 10 minutes to go there and yes the city is friendly. If you don't want to go by train and you want to by bus then again is not that far, is approximately 10 minutes from uni and is near john lewis.
(edited 4 years ago)
Are there many arabs in liverpool?

There are large numbers of Arab students on some courses, and a fair amount overall. I don't know if you differentiate between UK-raised students who have Arab heritage, or students who are internationals from Arab countries, but I think there are more of the latter.

When you are choosing your university, though, you should choose it for the course and city, not for who may or may not be there. Numbers can fluctuate massively - for example, on my course, the year above me had 25% Americans, as did the year below, but my year had none, and if a student had chosen to come on my course because of that, they would've been disappointed.
Original post by deelbreak
As an arab student, im willing to know about liverpool before going to university there since i got an offer. Is the city friendly? and also is it easy to travel to manchester and london?

The city is really friendly. It takes about an hour to get to Manchester (although it depends which station you're going to), and just over two hours to get to London, if you go on the fast train.
Oh thats good then! ive heard that liverpool doesnt have many arabs and specifically the nationalities that i mentioned.

Thank you

I think there are a lot of Arabs but I've never met those nationalities personally. I've met people from Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Oman and Egypt.
hello
Are the english students there friendly? since im an arab student thats never been to liverpool! and also is liverpool a safe place to live?
or is manchester more safe

Liverpool is a safe place to walk and live same as Manchester. And yes all the students are friendly (international ones, British ones, European ones)
Original post by emily_000
Liverpool is a safe place to walk and live same as Manchester. And yes all the students are friendly (international ones, British ones, European ones)

Thank you for this! are you studying there?
I did my undergrad in Liverpool, loved the uni, course, city and people! It's safe, I used to walk home alone at night and not feel at all worried. Plus Scousers are some of the nicest people I have ever met.
I'd say Liverpool is way better than Manchester but then again I am very biased 🤷*♀️
Original post by boods8897
I did my undergrad in Liverpool, loved the uni, course, city and people! It's safe, I used to walk home alone at night and not feel at all worried. Plus Scousers are some of the nicest people I have ever met.
I'd say Liverpool is way better than Manchester but then again I am very biased 🤷*♀️

This helped alot! Thanks! ive been very confused on what to choose
This helped alot! Thanks! ive been very confused on what to choose

If you can, I'd recommend visiting the campus before you start. If you have an offer you should've been invited to an applicant discovery day where you can speak to your department and find out more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending